• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Any handsets with automatic call sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQPG674

I am upgrading from my trusty FRS radios to GMRS, and while looking for handsets I expected to find what seems to me to be an obvious feature, a button that transmits your call sign (either voice or Morse).

We use my license within our family (duh) especially during family vacations, and I don't really think my brothers, sister, kids, wife, or mom are going to remember my call sign nor wish to use it.

I should think it would be a simple feature to implement, we have greeting cards where you can record a voice message, why not on GMRS radios? Record it once on each handset, and tell people "when your conversation is over, hit the button". None the less, I couldn't find ANY that have that feature. Cobra's "Rewind-Say-Again" feature is 90% there, except it erases the pre-recorded message when a new transmission is received.

Last edited:

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Write your call sign on a sticker and place it on the front of the radio. If they don't or won't follow the rules take the radio away. Problem solved.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
We use my license within our family (duh) especially during family vacations, and I don't really think my brothers, sister, kids, wife, or mom are going to remember my call sign nor wish to use it.

I don't think this is any different than following the rules of the road when you drive or any other of society's reasonable expectations.

You knew this was a requirement when you applied for your GMRS license.

The "nor wish to use it" part really doesn't play well. It's the rule and should be followed. If it were my family, I would simply explain to them that either they use the call sign or the radios get put away and no one uses them.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
i don't think this is any different than following the rules of the road when you drive or any other of society's reasonable expectations.

You knew this was a requirement when you applied for your gmrs license.

The "nor wish to use it" part really doesn't play well. It's the rule and should be followed. If it were my family, i would simply explain to them that either they use the call sign or the radios get put away and no one uses them.

Exactly my point!!!

WQPG674

RE: "either they use the call sign or the radios get put away"

I agree, but that is not the point nor my question.

My question was are there any handsets with automatic call sign? I know that repeaters have it, but I couldn't find any handsets, and it seems like an obvious feature.

A sticker will do, but it would be more convenient to have an automatic call sign. Perhaps I could get one of those greeting card gadgets and stick it on the handset.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
RE: "either they use the call sign or the radios get put away"

I agree, but that is not the point nor my question.

Ok. But it is a solution.

My question was are there any handsets with automatic call sign? I know that repeaters have it, but I couldn't find any handsets, and it seems like an obvious feature.

No.

A sticker will do, but it would be more convenient to have an automatic call sign. Perhaps I could get one of those greeting card gadgets and stick it on the handset.

Ok, you asked a simple question and then added the reasoning behind the question.
We anwered the question and then responded with a few possible solutions to your perceived problem.

Who knows, your greeting card idea may make you a rich man. Just think, Beevis and Butthead singing "Happy WQPG674 To You". Hey while we're at it make the antenna shoot a little flame to blow out. That would make it fun and your family would be inspired to push the ID button.
I see a patent in your future....

Ok, ok, I kinda went off the deep end there, sorry.

WQPG674

hhrj,

While I like the idea of a flame thrower, I think it would go awry with my family.

Me: "Son, these are more powerful radios and require a license. You must use our call sign at the end of each conversation to identify our license. To make it easy for you, I've added a button that will transmit our call sign. As a bonus to make it more fun for using our call sign properly, it will also shoot a ball of flame. Just remember not to point it at your sister."

Son: "You mean like this? POOOF!!"

Daughter: "DAD!!! He shot flames at me!! Can I kick him?"

So, I think I will forgo the flame thrower feature. Thanks for the advice though.

A label is a viable alternative, but would you car to elaborate on "No." for a newbie like me? It is prohibited? Not thought of? No one uses their call sign anyway so manufacturers don't care?

ThomasMcKean

Another option is to keep the radios at low power, 500mw. No call sign is required.

But then yew were going to do that, yew would not be upgrading?

I agree that auto call sign would be kewl. Especially in Morse Code. That would rule. Both on Ham HTs and on GMRS radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Another option is to keep the radios at low power, 500mw. No call sign is required.

Not necessarily the case. If the radio has a removable antenna, it will not be covered by the FRS rules, even if it is running half a watt.
GMRS is allowed to run the full 25KHz bandwidth on the 8 interstitial frequencies, FRS is required to be 12.5 KHz bandwidth on those channels. If his radio was running 25KHz, it would be under the GMRS rules and not the FRS rules.

Truth be told, there is so much unlicensed use on GMRS that likely no one would notice. That doesn't mean it's OK. I'm happy to see that WQPG674 is doing his best to follow the letter of the law on this matter.

Most repeaters out there will do this, so adding it to a hand held or mobile wouldn't be hard. Honestly though, there is little demand for this. So many users are unlicensed and the manufacturers encourage this. The general feeling is that an enforced license requirement would likely scare away some users. Most retail grade GMRS/FRS radios are utilized by those that are totally ignorant of the FCC rules and the requirement for a call sign.

ThomasMcKean

Not necessarily the case. If the radio has a removable antenna, it will not be covered by the FRS rules, even if it is running half a watt.
GMRS is allowed to run the full 25KHz bandwidth on the 8 interstitial frequencies, FRS is required to be 12.5 KHz bandwidth on those channels. If his radio was running 25KHz, it would be under the GMRS rules and not the FRS rules.

Truth be told, there is so much unlicensed use on GMRS that likely no one would notice. That doesn't mean it's OK. I'm happy to see that WQPG674 is doing his best to follow the letter of the law on this matter.

Most repeaters out there will do this, so adding it to a hand held or mobile wouldn't be hard. Honestly though, there is little demand for this. So many users are unlicensed and the manufacturers encourage this. The general feeling is that an enforced license requirement would likely scare away some users. Most retail grade GMRS/FRS radios are utilized by those that are totally ignorant of the FCC rules and the requirement for a call sign.

ACK! Yew are right! I forgot about the antenna and the wide banding! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.