Any new Uniden models down the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smerri

I would really like to snag a BC246T for the car since it is a small radio, but was curious, does Uniden have any new models planned in the future, conventional or digital? I am also thinking of picking up a BCD396T over the summer when I have some more money, but want to make sure there isn't anything new coming out.

So any word on any new Unidnen models?

Thanks.

(I searched with a few different terms on here with no luck.)

800crazy1

im sure theres something in the works , usually there will be a post about uniden coming out with something new at an electronics convention in las vegas ....seems to be the norm ...when that is held i dont know ... but i would say there's always something in the works .... just my 2cents.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Someday? Yes. Eventually? Maybe not. Given enough time, 'scanning' will fall by the wayside with all digital, all encrypted comms. The only holdouts will probably be aircraft.

We can't really guess about that far away, though.

Next stage of radio, APCO-25 Phase 2. Currently looks to be two voice channels on one frequency, TDMA, making two 6.25 KHz channels per 12.5 KHz frequency. Obviously, that will require a new radio... if it's monitorable at all. One problem to forsee is that FCC plans ARE for 6.25 KHz (or, even now, 7.5 KHz channels), and current scanners simply don't have the selectivity to seperate such narrow channels. You guessed, it, right? Scanners that can seperate the narrow stuff are likely to be more expensive. We may look back on the 'good old days' when a scanner was 'only' $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.