Any possibility of Siren update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

I checked which version of Siren I have on my Android device this morning, and it says 1.0.1. Does Uniden have any plans to improve the Siren app, or have they written it off? Because of the audio delay problems, I simply use my old Android cell phone as a remote head to operate the scanner and listen to the audio directly from the 536HP itself. The Siren app continues to be rather undependable, unfortunately. It may work for several hours, or it may work for only five minutes before I have to cycle power on both the scanner and the Android device (I usually run it in AP mode). Overall I love the 536HP but the SIren app is a let-down and I wish that Uniden would issue an update for it.

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
I'm still learning the app. I'm an iPhone user but I bought a cheap Android phone to commit to my remote display and control. I use the 536 in a car in AP mode. Mostly it works pretty reliably. But the app is quirky and does not seem very polished. The delay is not an issue for me because I let the scanner drive an external speaker in my car. I can see where the delay could be an issue though. For me I find using the app cumbersome in general. I thought it would be safer and easier to use than the front panel of the radio but it is not. Always have to look at it to do anything. Changing volume is tricky when mobile. So is changing QKs. I hope to see some improvements.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Uniden has been saying that they have future plans for the Siren App, such as doing the internet accessibility.

I suspect that this is on the back-burner with other things being in front, such as Pro-Voice, DMR, RTC battery issues, etc.

Still some word from Uniden would be a good thing with regard to some kind of timetable.

troymail

Silent Key
As long as it took to get where we are with Siren and Wifi today, I'd be total surprised if they provide anything more than what they have at this point. For the most part, like with other software Uniden has provided in the past, it seems more to me like an "example of what could be" and they'll leave it up to third-party vendors to create (and of course sell to you) something better.

wbswetnam

Uniden has been saying that they have future plans for the Siren App, such as doing the internet accessibility.

I suspect that this is on the back-burner with other things being in front, such as Pro-Voice, DMR, RTC battery issues, etc.

Still some word from Uniden would be a good thing with regard to some kind of timetable.

I imagine that the Uniden engineers are furiously working on an NXDN upgrade to roll out before January 1, since Whistler has promised NXDN capability for its TRX series of scanners "before the end of the year". I imagine that all other projects are on the back burner until then.

wise871

Database Admin
We just went over 3 years since the Nov 16, 2013 announcement. I'm still waiting for a Siren update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wise871

Database Admin
Still waiting :p.
V1 = main scanning functions, LAN only
V2 = addition of Analyze
V3 = addition of Full Menu capabilities for all functions
V4 = WAN capability
V5 = still a secret

bearcat

The options announced by Uniden in the original promotional video have never come to be. I put my faith in the promises they made. Then never completed. The analyze feature they did release is a joke. The noise that the radio generates affecting UHF reception which has been proven beyond any doubt has never been acknowledged by them. They wacked each an every person who bought this radio. If DMR, and whatever else are the true priorities. Then those are the promises that they should have made. Many, many features of the radio and the DMR updates are great, but that does not out weigh what was promised and not delivered.

wise871

Database Admin
So are we ever going to get some kind of answer on the next Siren update?? I would be happy if they just came out and said were sorry and things just didn't go as planned. This whole x36 over the last 3 years has been a mess. Granted we have DMR and Provoice but many of us purchased the scanners in good faith that there would be functional software to go along with it. Three years for software is a joke.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
So are we ever going to get some kind of answer on the next Siren update?? I would be happy if they just came out and said were sorry and things just didn't go as planned. This whole x36 over the last 3 years has been a mess. Granted we have DMR and Provoice but many of us purchased the scanners in good faith that there would be functional software to go along with it. Three years for software is a joke.

You're right about it being a mess, BUT...my 436 and 536 are two the best scanners I have ever owned over the years and I love them. I miss having the 536 in the car and was hoping for improved Siren so I could remote it in the back and use my iPhone to control it. I don't understand why Siren was neglected because the idea behind it is pretty damned good. I'm hoping part of the neglect is because Uniden was working on DMR and is now working on NXDN.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Still waiting :p.
V1 = main scanning functions, LAN only
V2 = addition of Analyze
V3 = addition of Full Menu capabilities for all functions
V4 = WAN capability
V5 = still a secret

I can't even get my to turn on/off all the favorite lists!

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
They need to work on a Siren evolution that will incorporate native remote over internet capability, instead of this dumb and fairly useless "remote local WiFi control" situation they gots doin nows.

paul

Minus1

The Siren app has been a big disappointment. When Uniden first announced the 436 & 536 everyone expected an app that would allow complete control of the scanner remotely. Essentially like having a wired front panel for the scanner. The reality has been little more than a token effort. Much basic functionality is lacking, and user interface is so different that it requires yet another learning curve.

To make it worse, development has been conspicuous by it's absence.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I have been more than super duper happy with my $10 Win500 Android app I use to control (fully!) my Pro197 scanner while I am out working as a TV news photographer. I would plunk down $500 for a similar Android or iOS app for the 536HP, 996P2, or even the TRX-2...I will REQUIRE this capability when my county goes Phase II, as my current remote system is only good for Phase I.

Kickstarter or GoFundMe anyone, to hire someone to make a usable 536HP remote app? :)

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.