Any Thought about Making Database a Wiki?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirkenVogt

I am under the impression that the database admins are backlogged somewhat and with the emergence of the Wiki as a new format for data, I was wondering if anybody had entertained the idea of making the database a wiki instead of its current format. I think it would work very well and cut down on what I presume is a large work load for a few people. It might also make it easier for people to enter their own system's quirks along with the freqs so people could understand systems better from the get-go. I am relatively new to this web site however, but not to radio.

Birken

Dubbin

Feed Provider
I think it would turn into a big mess with lots of useless freqs that have not been confirmed. What we have now is working so lets not break it.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Birken,

What gives you the impression that the database admins are backlogged? They are plowing through submissions quite nicely.

If you are using the "how many submissions are in the queue" as a barometer - don't. One person using the Unidentified FCC can submit 30 submissions within a few minutes... and one admin can work them fairly rapidly.

Furthermore, with all the upcoming and current applications for the database, like the Web service, structured data is very very important.

Warm regards,

Lindsay

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I've submitted changes/additions and they were either posted the same day or the very next day. I HATE the wiki. giving the ability for anyone to change data at will is very scary. the database is great (with a few things I have posted here before) and letting it go to Hell would sicken me.

bassmkenk2508

yea, for example if it says 170 submissions pending, those could have been 170 submissions given by people nationwide say within the last 12 hours. That is 3 to 4 submissions per state. No problem for the, at least, one admin per state.

when i started getting used to the site, my thoughts were of the "piling up" idea as well, but the admins do a great job as mentioned.

Thumbs up to the admins here on RRDB! :wink:

Yea the thought of some rogue user or some punk on a destruction spree with the whole database at his keyboard is really scary!!
I vote no.

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Dubbin said:
I think it would turn into a big mess with lots of useless freqs that have not been confirmed. What we have now is working so lets not break it.

I agree, there have already been a few times that bad info has been submitted, and that's bad enough. If it were a wiki, everyone would be changing everything :D

amusement

mike_s104 said:
I've submitted changes/additions and they were either posted the same day or the very next day. I HATE the wiki. giving the ability for anyone to change data at will is very scary. the database is great (with a few things I have posted here before) and letting it go to Hell would sicken me.

WIKI is not a dangerous heaven or a breeding ground for the inempt. It does time to learn how create or ammend an article in WIKI.

I am pleased how RR WIKI is progressing. As for those pesky vandels ... you can always revert back or remove the WIKI article to remove entries. Unlike wikipedia ... RR WIKI is not run by "neo facists" or "neo nazis".

I give credit to Lindsy for allowing the WIKI to grow in a mature and knowledgable fassion.
You hear me Lindsy ... I am giving you credit for doing a good job!

seamusg

Grog said:
I agree, there have already been a few times that bad info has been submitted, and that's bad enough. If it were a wiki, everyone would be changing everything :D
It's bad enough when an admin put in a bad charater in the db and you can't use the xml to down load, just think what it would be like as a wiki (no standards. thus no downloads).

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Wiki is cool, but I think the number of people, me included, who rely upon the accuracy of the database requires it be administered by a limited number of people sifting thru submissions....

BirkenVogt

Well it's true that I was thrown by the number of sumissions pending. I thought I had read somewhere that there was a backlog. I guess I was wrong.

Maybe I am expecting too much of the site. As some of you know I am a commercial radio tech. Therefore I have little tolerance for inaccuracies of any sort. When I see one I want it fixed NOW. For scanner monitors that is not as big a deal. You just won't hear anything. For radio users it is different. The radio won't work when it is supposed to.

I am not complaining at all in case that is what it seems like. This site is extremely valuable and many commercial radio people use it as well. But with the emergence of the wiki as a format, it makes me wonder why it wasn't thought of earlier. I have made some edits to the regular Wikipedia. It is a great resource for concise information on obscure subjects.

Birken

Dubbin

Feed Provider
BirkenVogt said:
For scanner monitors that is not as big a deal. You just won't hear anything.

That WOULD be a big deal since WE WONT HEAR ANYTHING. Hearing things is the whole purpose of listening to a scanner :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.