Any Tower Climbers in Michigan read this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8cpa-chuck

I have an antenna. It's the Comet Tri-Bander; the CX-333. I need to put it together. (Which I can do...of course...)

I have a 40 Ft Steel Tower. It's guyed. I need to get this up on my tower. I now have a Antron-99 at the top of this tower. It broke over in a small wind storm here back in may...

The Antron is about 20 years old, and needs to come down.

I cannot afford to pay anyone; I thought hams helped one another? Nobody around local climbs, and those who so, are always "Busy".

Anyone? Ham or not, that reads here from Michigan, preferably southeastern Michigan; climb towers? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I've got the coax all set to go too. Even got some liquid electrical tape for the connectors. Just gotta get a climber.

You might need a belt too.

Anyone?

I also have pics out the wazoo of my set up here, if you want see them. drop me an e-mail and be prepared for pictures!

Thanks,

-Chuck K8CPA

P.S. e-mail at k8cpa at comcast net if you care to help me out... Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

k9rzz

They're out there. Keep trying. We've got our own tree squirrel - "Super Doug". Man, that boy will scamper up 75ft in no time and then stand on the top! (with a safety line). I've seen him do it. He'll operate is own radios a little, show up at Field Day just to hang out, but tell him you need some antenna work done? He's THERE!

Good luck.

SCPD

QRT
Tower

Chuck:

If we take a bolt out of one of the base legs, can we swing the tower down to ground level? It's not something you can do by yourself, but if a bunch of us come over, It's how we usually work on each other's antennas anyway.

If I was you, show up at MCRC, announce you're gonna have food and drinks one Saturday, everyone come over for an antenna party. The guy that runs the net will climb up there for ya, if we can't swing the tower down.

And if I was you, may as well get a couple of little verticals(for whatever) and mounting hardware ready, and we can put them on the side of the tower while we are there. Maybe a vertical for a scanner, or whatever.

SCPD

QRT
And ....

... if a moderator wants to move this thread to Michigan, I think Chuck would get a bigger response.

K8cpa-chuck

MCRC???!?!?!?

You must kidding.....

That bunch of old farts and two meter geeks wouldn't put out a house fire, if they saw one.

No, I cannot tilt the tower over.

I need someone to climb, period.

But, thanks anyhow...

-Chuck

K8cpa-chuck

If I was you, show up at MCRC, announce you're gonna have food and drinks one Saturday, everyone come over for an antenna party. The guy that runs the net will climb up there for ya, if we can't swing the tower down.

Further more, I am not feeding anyone. If they want to help me put up the damned antenna fine. If not, screw 'em. I'll just pay someone to do it.

Jerk offs.

Tommahawk

I cannot afford to pay anyone; I thought hams helped one another? Nobody around local climbs, and those who so, are always "Busy" .Further more, I am not feeding anyone. If they want to help me put up the damned antenna fine. If not, screw 'em. I'll just pay someone to do it.

Jerk offs

And you want people to help you with this type of attitude. I'm sorry but the reason you aren't getting any assistance might be because of your attitude. I believe they are just trying to help. Please if you want the help sometimes you need to offer something in return......... This is acceptable in society and is ok to do. Grab a pizza for em and some soda or something......... Geez

Plus within these two sentences you contradict yourself.... Are you willing to pay or not?

K8cpa-chuck

And you want people to help you with this type of attitude. I'm sorry but the reason you aren't getting any assistance might be because of your attitude. I believe they are just trying to help. Please if you want the help sometimes you need to offer something in return......... This is acceptable in society and is ok to do. Grab a pizza for em and some soda or something......... Geez

Plus within these two sentences you contradict yourself.... Are you willing to pay or not?

Well, last time I checked. Ham were supposed to do help one another out, without wanting anything in return.

In fact, it is supposedly illegal to ask for money to provide assistance.

I guess times have changed.

and... I would spend all that kind of money. But I am unemployed. The Antenna was a gift.

So, I guess I'm screwed eh?

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Well, last time I checked. Ham were supposed to do help one another out, without wanting anything in return.

This attitude is why they're not helping you out. You're right, they shouldn't expect anything in return, but you shouldn't expect it to be free either.

In fact, it is supposedly illegal to ask for money to provide assistance.
Nope, that's only to operate.

I bet a pizza and some sodas (accompanied by a "Please" and a smile) would get you a long way, for a lot less than a "hired" tower climber would work for.

Leave your childish attitude at the keyboard, you're not going to get any love from an internet board and your tantrums won't get you any assistance either.

e737

Premium Subscriber
Further more, I am not feeding anyone. If they want to help me put up the damned antenna fine. If not, screw 'em. I'll just pay someone to do it.

Jerk offs.
I just need ONE FOOKING ANTENNA UP!!! Do you not understand English?!?!?

Moron.
WOW! You need a real serious attitude adjustment. Just a matter of time before we see banned for the greater good:/

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"So, I guess I'm screwed eh?"
And with your own screw! Considering your attitude I wouldn't help you if you were my next door neighbor. For that matter likely I'd move away, you have some serious issues man.

"Just a matter of time before we see banned for the greater good:/"
+1

D00D

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but chuckle over this thread. 17 posts and raising hell along with bashing the local club doesn't seem like a great way to win friends and influence people. Then I saw this and almost LOL'd:

K8CPA has not made any friends yet

:-D

You catch more flies with honey. I just finished (few weeks ago) helping a friend put up a 100' tower. He kept promising to pay me but he hasn't. You know what? I don't really care. I love climbing. He did buy me lunch but even if he hadn't I still would've done the work. I spent 8 hours on the tower and still have to go back up when he gets the antennas put together. Treat me nicely and I'll climb whatever for you. I'm sure there are folks in MI that would say the same thing. Come at them with insults and expecting and/or demanding free labor and you'll get more of what you already have. Frankly I don't think I've ever seen money change hands for tower work but there's usually donuts and/or pizza involved.

K8cpa-chuck

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but chuckle over this thread. 17 posts and raising hell along with bashing the local club doesn't seem like a great way to win friends and influence people. Then I saw this and almost LOL'd:

K8CPA has not made any friends yet

:-D

You catch more flies with honey. I just finished (few weeks ago) helping a friend put up a 100' tower. He kept promising to pay me but he hasn't. You know what? I don't really care. I love climbing. He did buy me lunch but even if he hadn't I still would've done the work. I spent 8 hours on the tower and still have to go back up when he gets the antennas put together. Treat me nicely and I'll climb whatever for you. I'm sure there are folks in MI that would say the same thing. Come at them with insults and expecting and/or demanding free labor and you'll get more of what you already have. Frankly I don't think I've ever seen money change hands for tower work but there's usually donuts and/or pizza involved.

I guess I'll have to pay someone, won't I?

I don't have the cash to spend on a bunch of guys, of whom, 10 will show up and 2 will do the work. Not my idea of a favor.

I'll just wait till next spring and pay some tower climber...

K8cpa-chuck

and by the way, ever read HamSexy.com? You should, then you'll understand, why I don't have much use for the local "Hamsters" around here.

D00D

I guess I'll have to pay someone, won't I?

I don't have the cash to spend on a bunch of guys, of whom, 10 will show up and 2 will do the work. Not my idea of a favor.

I'll just wait till next spring and pay some tower climber...

To borrow a phrase, if I may, "Do you not understand English?!?!?"

Let me quote myself (because I love to hear myself type)...

Frankly I don't think I've ever seen money change hands for tower work but there's usually donuts and/or pizza involved.

I'm not sure where you're getting your logic from. I'd figure you can expect to pay about $2-$4 per foot (more likely you'll be closer to the high end). This means that for a 40' tower you'll pay at least $80 for the work. You can buy a lot of donuts, pizza, and water (gotta keep the guys hydrated) for even half this amount. You'll probably end up with some good friends AND get your antenna installed.

Keep in mind that if you hire someone not only do you have to pay for the climbing but they'll have to cover the expenses of any ground crew they bring. I won't go up a tower without at least 5 people on the ground. I'd probably scale it back for a simple vertical but you're still looking at 2-3 minimum for safety observer, lifting, and tagging. You can probably get away w/o a tag line in this case so say 2 additional bodies.

and by the way, ever read HamSexy.com? You should, then you'll understand, why I don't have much use for the local "Hamsters" around here.
I'm familiar with the site but blasting them on a public forum like this isn't going to get you anywhere. As others have said, you're in need of help. It's a time for checking the attitude at the door.

What if I were in MI and offered to help? You don't like the job I do so you come to RR and start insulting me for the world to see. Can you see how it might be discouraging for others that might have otherwise been interested in helping with your next project?

Last edited:

dimab

wow. way to be a great addition to the forum. if you google his callsign, what a nut.

Status
Not open for further replies.