• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Any word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjinndoawi

So has any one heard as of yet the release of the update for the 996T? I have 2 of them and can't wait to see what this update offers..Also I need to get another mounting bracket for one of my 996t's and Uniden is out, something like 2-3 weeks yet before they get any. So does anyone know were else I can get another one at?

k9xyz

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Lol

That was funny

Why keep beating a dead horse by asking about the updates? Thats why I made my sarcastic post in the "updates are coming" thread. You guys are like the kids in the backseat that keep screaming are we there yet? Can we talk about something constructive instead? Maybe the time will pass by quicker until we see the updates.

Sjinndoawi

What?

I did not see your post. A lot of you like to just flame people and there ideas or suggestions which is unconstructive or belittle a manufacture"God forbid they didn't do it the way you wanted it and it is missing this"or"O'my God they are going to encrytion"somehow someway someone will crack it or it will be offered in time. This is why I do very little posting. I hope I don't get as bitter or cold as the lot of you when I get that old......I just ask a simple question,thats all.

MFD4305

By the Way....

Why are "the updates" such a matter of extreme interest? Just how BIG are the changes that we'll experience? Will the GPS function show us where mobile units are? [please! don't "educate" me; that was sarcasm!!] Will Glade air freshener be dispensed after every pointless exchange we monitor? What's the big deal? The allusion to "are we there yet?" was very apt. This reminds me of my kids the last week before Christmas.... Geez! :confused:

Last edited:

palo1

Your "simple question" was on the tip of my tongue too - I just decided to take a wait and see position for the moment.

Perhaps organized_mayhem suffers from an incurable desease and has very little time left to live. If I was in his position I too would certainly become angry and frustrated with threads like yours, fortunately I'm not and can enjoy life at a more relaxed pace.

My condolences to organized_mayhem if he is indeed ill.

It may be contageous as I notice another valued member suffering similiar symptoms

p

Last edited:

Eng74

Here is a long shot see if the have the bracket for the BCT-15. It is a long shot but companys have been know to do stupid things in the past. Same item different number.

Considering threads like these have been posted at an almost daily cycle for months. First the when are we going to have an update and now that one has been announced, the when is it going to be out. A person just tires of seeing the same thing posted over and over. As I stated in another thread, I am patiently waiting for the updates. I knew as soon as April 1st came about these posts were gonna start cranking out again the minute Uniden had not released the update. thats why I made my post earlier today in the "Updates are coming" thread. I'm simply saying that people need to give it a rest.

If you are asking about the updates the obviously you own a 396/996. If you post in theses forums then obviously you have an email address. To download the updates you have to be registered with Uniden. Only makes sense that Uniden will send out an email as soon as the update is released. Therefore you should receive notice of the updates as soon as they are posted. So why continue to post here with the same old question of if there is any word? This thread and any others like it need to be closed as they have nothing to offer this forum.

Statevillian

Yes. "The WORD" is $$$$$$$$$$$. Looks like GRE's PSR500 and 600 were getting great reviews and possibly...quite POSSIBLY hurting Uniden sales. Nothing in my hand or that I can show as evidence. Just an observation. So, hurry with a fix that is long overdue. "We are working on it....." is a lot better than seeing the cash register ringing up another GRE sale instead of a Uniden sale.

So, let's recap boys and girls....ANY WORD? = $$$$$$$$$$ So, as long as people watch the sun come up and go down on a promise, the guy contemplating buying one of these really sweet GRE's will probably hold out for a free fix.

This reminds me of my Corrections days. Spread a rumor of a new law being proposed to give 2 days of meritorious good time for every day served instead of the current one day off for every day served. It gave the convicts hope. And every late spring it worked.......In the heat of the summer it was a valuable behavior modification tool. And, in my eyes, so is this.

On the real.......I agree with a previous poster. Register for the update at the Uniden site and they will let you know when it is here. My 396 seems to work fine for me as is. I use it and my 500 daily.

Viper43

Statevillian said:
So, let's recap boys and girls....ANY WORD? = $$$$$$$$$$ So, as long as people watch the sun come up and go down on a promise, the guy contemplating buying one of these really sweet GRE's will probably hold out for a free fix.

Actually many have given up on Uniden and their "updates", I have, ordered two GRE's to replace the 396. GRE seems more afept at fixing issues, where Uniden is more worried about ESN's than fixing issues, some that Uniden has known about for a very long time and still have not fixed them. They keep making promises, while GRE is taking action. And some day when Uniden does get around to actually releasing the update I'll put it in the 396 but it will be doing nothing but fire toneouts, while the GRE's do the scanning. I won't buy another Uniden as long as GRE keeps up the customer support. More $$$ going away from Uniden......

scanbc780

Premium Subscriber
Wickenburg, Maricopa/Yavapai Counties, Arizona
Given up? Not me, I would rather wait for an update that has been tested thoroughly before its released. As found in the other update thread, UPman said they found a minor glitch that may only affect a few people, if any. Thats the delay in the release, I am glad they caught it.

The 996 & 396 are sitting here patiently waiting for their binary inoculation.

Gearjam

Premium Subscriber
While I'm waiting for the updates...I went out and bought a brand new 396...I love that little scanner...for some reason It programs with butel better than my 996.
Just remember Digital Is all new...so Its not a big deal to me...Uniden has already responded to our concerns...lets give them a chance...both the 996 and the 396 are high tech scanners and I'm wondering now if some of the problems are just caused by the towers...transmitter etc... Imo...Uniden will release the updates asap

Viper43

Gearjam said:
While I'm waiting for the updates...I went out and bought a brand new 396...I love that little scanner...for some reason It programs with butel better than my 996.
Just remember Digital Is all new...so Its not a big deal to me...Uniden has already responded to our concerns...lets give them a chance...both the 996 and the 396 are high tech scanners and I'm wondering now if some of the problems are just caused by the towers...transmitter etc... Imo...Uniden will release the updates asap

It's not "that new", the 396 has been out three years, and some have been waiting that long for a fix to their systems that were supposed to work. Then there hasn't been a single update in a year plus, that is not good customer relations. I have three systems here that are a problem with the 396, and all issues are , or I should say have been well known to Uniden with no response except "were working on it". After a while, and numerous "were working on it" responses, then putting out a "we have an update" then it's delayed again, and now again, you finally get fed up and dump Uniden. But the fact is digital isn't new, and neither are the issues people are having with their scanners on some systems that are clearly stated the radio was made to work on.....

kyguy

I bought both my 996's not long after they came out and I have never 'updated' either one !! My thinkin is "if it ain't broke...don't break it!!!" I have not had any probs with digital - I pick up Ohio MARCS and KSP (digital) just fine.

Last edited:

Airdorn

Premium Subscriber
uh oh. The poo-pooers are out in force.

Mistake #1 was Uniden even talking about the promise of updates. That's when all the panting and cry-babying begins.

Release the update and it'll be like a heroin junkie getting his fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.