Anybody from the Craven Cty, New Bern Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help Haysead and EP204. I think once the weather breaks and I get some time off from work, I should run over there one day and meet up with you guys for a Real Down East Scanner Meeting.
When you guys have some time look up a program called Unitrunker. It captures and displays talkgroups in a system. A very useful tool.
Keep up the good work.

EP204

All I know is they better hope the system does not need any replacement parts as type 1 systems are rare here in NC. And Moto sure as heck does not service them.
They better be working pretty fast on that move to P25 :)
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Yes, they are working on that but the city has some funding issues, to say the least. If they do go soon I will have to buy a digital scanner, O, well.

EP204

KC4YIN, I will have to look into that, it took me about 8 months or so of scanning New Bern to find out the TG's.

haysead

KC4YIN, sounds like a good idea, I may end up setting up UniTracker, time will tell, I also hope New Bern doesn't go to P25 just yet, a mobile digital scanner would be a real pain to buy at this moment.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
KC4YIN, sounds like a good idea, I may end up setting up UniTracker, time will tell, I also hope New Bern doesn't go to P25 just yet, a mobile digital scanner would be a real pain to buy at this moment.

Don't worry. You've got some time yet.

EP204

Yes, that we do as I said before, the city has a financial problem, so for now their radio system will not be updated. But when it is I will be ready. :)

jaolson101

Too late. Looks like its a EDACS ProVoice system from what I've read about the contract winner.

City set to upgrade public safety radio system - Local - Sun Journal

City set to upgrade public safety radio system
Aldermen OK purchase plan for equipment
January 13, 2011 4:34 PM
Francine Sawyer
Sun Journal Staff

New Bern aldermen unanimously approved a system purchase agreement Tuesday for a $4.3-million upgrade to the city’s public safety radio communications system.

The new system purchase — for police, fire and emergency responders, public works, warehouse, parks and recreation, water, customer service and utilities — is not made on a whim.

The federal government requires that all public safety radio systems switch from certain frequencies in the 800-megahertz range by July 2012. Nextel wants those frequencies for commercial use, so the federal government has required the company to switch every public safety entity in the country from those frequencies, a process called rebanding, at its expense.

By rebanding and replacing the current system, the combined effort saves the city money.

The system will use several funding streams, said New Bern Police Chief Frank Palombo. Nextel is supplying $375,489 to the city, $234,604 comes from the city’s 911 balance and $120,048 from CarolinaEast Health Systems.

“The city’s enterprise funds, water resources and electric will provide their share of funding based on their particular needs as well as their portion of the infrastructure and radios they require, $1,917,450,” Palombo said. “The balance of $1,929,710 will come from the general fund.”

The city’s last radio equipment dates back to 1987.

“The city has needed this new system for a long time now,” Palombo said. “The old system is no longer viable for the city’s operations and certainly not for public safety operations.”

The system is expected to last for 20 years.

“The new system will be digital and provide for better and more reliable coverage enhancing the safety of our first responders and our citizens,” Palombo said. “In addition, the new system will provide the radio coverage needed for our utilities crews to accomplish their mission as they service areas outside the city.”

Palombo said he was grateful for the hard work of many city staff members and for the professional guidance and wisdom from consultants, TUSA Consulting Service Inc.

Communications International Inc. met all the requirements for the system and was awarded the contract.

EP204

Huh, I did not know that, what a shame, does anyone think they will ever come out with one?
And if that is the case then I do not know what I am going to do, I love listening to New Bern, it is the only action out here. :(

Edit:
Ok, I read the RR wiki on the provoice and now understand a little bit more, but I did not see this coming.
Johnston County has a provoice system, which appears, if I understand correctly, to also have analog and normal digital parts as well. If this is the case then could some parts of a provoice system be scanned?

Last edited:

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
As I understand it, all the non essential traffic may be on analog or open in some way to monitor. That would be utilities,garbage collection etc. I know Craven S.O. has some digital Viper talk groups as well as their VHF system and of course S.H.P. is there on Viper. It's a shame they didn't consider going on the Viper system assuming there is room for them there.

EP204

Alright, that makes more sense. It is odd that they did not decide to use Viper, other then SHP no one uses this area Viper, even craven SO is very rarely on there.
I am going to see if I can submit the story on the news and announcements forum.

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
"Too late. Looks like its a EDACS ProVoice system from what I've read about the contract winner."

After looking at the company's website, I wouldn't totally agree with your statement. There are indications in some of the languange in the documents that point to the system being P25. If that indeed is the case, ProVoice would not be an option due to it being totally proprietary. Looking at the companies they deal with, I don't think we could rule out the possibility of a Harris P25 system. I know CII has dealt with mainly ProVoice systems, but let's not rule out a hope for something we can monitor. ;)

yardbird

New City of New Bern Radio System

I was just reading an article from Firenews.net

The City of New Bern is upgrading its present radio system.

The article also mentions that this company Communications International, Inc was awarded the contract.

My question is:

1. Who is this company

2. What kind of radio system will they be selling to New Bern. (ie. Motorola, Johnson, M/A Comm, etc.)

It didn't mention any type system or frequency range in the article all it said was they were upgrading to a better

digital system.

I do hope they will upgrade to something better than the Type I system than they currently have.

Just curious

David

yardbird

Thanks!

I read the other links.

From what I saw they are looking at EDACS Pro-Voice.

Give me a break.

When are agencies going to get wise and get a system that is compatable with the other Motorola Systems in

the state.

Time for some scanner manufactures to start designing a scanner that will decode these odd ball systems.

I think New Bern is screwing up big time if they don't keep the old Motorola System and just upgrade it.

From what I have read, Johnson City/Washington Co. Tn. upgraded there Motorola Type I system to a Motorola

Type II and are having great results with it.

Just my thoughts

David

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Merged the common threads together.
Let's please remember to check to make sure someone
else has not posted something in common with your topic.
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.