• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Anybody want to buy $50.000 worth of Radio Shack scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish Bill were still alive today to see what scanners are capable of. My buddy Brent and I helped out on one of his projects and even got a mention in one of his mod books.

Did Bill Cheeks arrest by the FBI happen before or after it was illegal to manufacture scanners with the ability to scan Cell Phone frequencies?

Also, isn't it still against eBay's rules to list scanners that are 'easily modifiable' to receive cell freqs? It use to be again eBay rules to do that. There was a time that PRO-2006's were pulled from eBay auctions quite often.

Methinx, although I may be technically wrong, that the scanners in Bill Cheek's inventory are all analog, and the types/modes of digital & frequencies used nowadays should make the modifying a scanner to receive cellular freqs are moot and antiquated.

I find it interesting that just after ECPA became law, the cellular industry went all digital, again making a modification of a scanner an interesting, but moot, project.

New York North Carolina and all points in between
[QUOTE I find it interesting that just after ECPA became law, the cellular industry went all digital, again making a modification of a scanner an interesting, but moot, project.[/QUOTE]

Took a long time for all sites to go digital,and according to the ECPA still illegal.

Quote" Did Bill Cheeks arrest by the FBI happen before or after it was illegal to manufacture scanners with the ability to scan Cell Phone frequencies?

Long after, cellular ban was in the late 80's he was arrested in around 1999.

Status
Not open for further replies.