Anyone doing MW DX with SDR, what's your setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modrachlan

Hi,

I'm looking to expand from the usual SWL to mediumwave/AM broadcast band DX. Not just the big regional stations but serious long distance reception. I was wondering if anyone participating in this forum uses an SDR for this purpose, and what their setup is from the antenna to the software. Thanks.

majoco

Stirrer
Which SDR had you in mind. My older WinRadio G303 works fine on the MW BC bands and the LW bands down to 100kHz although my antenna is a bit too short at 66ft only. I can often hear the Port McQuarie NDB PMQ 395kHz 1460miles across the Tasman.

modrachlan

I appreciate your reply. I actually didn't have one in mind, in particular. What I'm wondering is what SDRs will do well on mediumwave. Maybe all of them do? I have no idea and would like some idea of what to acquire with that specific objective in mind.

majoco

Stirrer
Well, IMHO, you won't get one of the cheap dongles to do the job. A good receiver for HF, SDR or traditional, has filtering at the antenna input to prevent undesired strong stations intruding on the weak one you want to hear. Even so, the early stages of a good receiver will handle strong signals without affecting the weak stations. The "dongles" have a high pass filter at the antenna to restrict the frequency response above say 30 or 40MHz to prevent broadcast band breakthrough - exactly the opposite to your wanted application. Needless to say the good receivers don't come cheap - EPay may give you examples of used and abused - take your pick!

modrachlan

how about the Softrock models? I had an RX Ensemble II for a while and was not terribly impressed with its performance on SW. I was not into MW at the time, so I have no memory of it. I just don't want to end up with the wrong receiver for my purpose.

SCPD

QRT
Perseus is used by many MW DX'ers. As well as Winradio Excalibur or Elad FDM-S1.

Interesting about these direct sampling SDRs is that they are able to record the entire MW spectrum for later evaluation.

You can make automated "Top of the hour" recordings at any time and play back later to hunt for station IDs.

This is a very serious DX tool, only available since the introduction of such kind of SDRs.

Paul
PD0PSB

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I'm looking to expand from the usual SWL to mediumwave/AM broadcast band DX. Not just the big regional stations but serious long distance reception. I was wondering if anyone participating in this forum uses an SDR for this purpose, and what their setup is from the antenna to the software. Thanks.

I consider myself a hardcore broadcast band DXer. I'm using the Microtelecom Perseus SDR connected to a small netbook and interference from the computer hasn't been a problem. The SDR is connected to a Quantum Phaser. The phaser is connected to a pair of beverage-on-the-ground (BOG) antennas. One antenna wire is 500 FT long and the other is about 400 FT long, running parallel and spaced a couple feet apart and orientated roughly east-west right on top of the ground. The phaser allows the BOGs to be used bidirectionally, meaning that I can null stations in one direction while enhancing reception from the opposite direction, and vise-versa. Nulling is important when DXing the broadcast band and I find this setup to be excellent. I've had good success with long-haul domestic, trans-atlantic, and trans-pacific DX.

AC9BX

Although I don't do very much DX listening in the MW band I do listen occasionally and use the setup for better audio quality on stronger stations. I use my Flex-1500 and an ugly 20" tuned loop with a pickup loop and coax into the flex. It provides lots of signal. The antenna isn't terribly selective but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.