Anyone Ever Think About Having a Net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0KM

I do not know why, or even if it has ever come up here, but how about an (informal) net? Not even a real net per say, but perhaps a simple good ole rag chew? We all could get together, let's say either on 40 or 75/80 meters and make a few QSO's? Just a random thought -- if we did who all would be willing to do it?

TheSpaceMan

I do not know why, or even if it has ever come up here, but how about an (informal) net? Not even a real net per say, but perhaps a simple good ole rag chew? We all could get together, let's say either on 40 or 75/80 meters and make a few QSO's? Just a random thought -- if we did who all would be willing to do it?
Sounds good! We could call it the RadioReference net. Just need to pick a time and frequency!

N0IU

I don't know the specifics on setting one up because I have never done it before, but perhaps someone might set up an Echo Link Conference for Radio Reference. Yeah, I know we are all about amateur radio and many here don't consider Echo Link to be "real radio", but for something like this, it does serve a purpose.

Among my other past times, I also belong to several Masonic lodges and as you can imagine, there are a number of us around the country (and around the world) who share the same interests. On most Sunday evenings (when its not a holiday weekend), we hold a "gathering" on Echo Link where Freemasons who are also amateur radio operators get together to chat. Now of course we could hold an on-air net, but then again, we would be at the mercy of things like propagation plus the fact that not every one of us has a station capable of communications over HF or would preclude Technicians who does not have HF voice privileges on lower bands from participating.

The solution? Echo Link! That way we all come in at a solid "59" with none of the overhead associated with an on-air net. And if you have a mobile device, you don't even need to be at home in your shack in order to participate!

This way we have a level playing field on which we can talk to each other without regard to radio equipment or license privileges.

rapidcharger

So you're starting to find out, like many other forums, why a net is easier said than done. It's that whole "pick a time and frequency" part. Everyone's got their own idea of where it should be held.

WB4CS

The solution? Echo Link! That way we all come in at a solid "59" with none of the overhead associated with an on-air net. And if you have a mobile device, you don't even need to be at home in your shack in order to participate!

If you're going to do that, just make it even easier and start up a IRC chat room, or Skype conference.

This way we have a level playing field on which we can talk to each other without regard to radio equipment or license privileges.

How about 10 meters? All US hams have some privileges on 10 meter SSB.

I'd vote for 15 meters, maybe 40 but good luck finding a frequency that's not already in use lol.

KC0KM

I tend to like 40, but my tuner seems to like 75 better. One thought about times could be in the evening sometime. I have club "activities" on Saturday at 8:00 CT, and our club net is at 8:00 on Sundays. Someone just throw out a time, how about Mondays?

AgentCOPP1

I don't know the specifics on setting one up because I have never done it before, but perhaps someone might set up an Echo Link Conference for Radio Reference. Yeah, I know we are all about amateur radio and many here don't consider Echo Link to be "real radio", but for something like this, it does serve a purpose.
Ah well if you can use IRLP or something like that (perhaps there are some repeaters that allow you to control the Echolink node to connect to other repeaters), you can't say it isn't "real radio" because both of you are indeed using radios to communicate :)

I still like the idea of a RadioReference HF net. It'd have to be later in the day because I'm usually not home until 4 or so. A lot of hams in my area love to run a bunch of nets at times like 11am when I'm never home and it's kind of annoying haha.

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
I tend to like 40, but my tuner seems to like 75 better. One thought about times could be in the evening sometime. I have club "activities" on Saturday at 8:00 CT, and our club net is at 8:00 on Sundays. Someone just throw out a time, how about Mondays?

Well, how about Monday, Dec 2 at 0400GMT (that's 8PM California time)?

I'll call you on 7.190 and move up the band if there's QRM.

Perhaps if we can hear each other routinely, others will join in.

Would be fun to give it a whirl, what do you think?

jeepinjeepin

Premium Subscriber
Well, Shawn made a suggestion. I'd say go with that for anyone who can make it. If it works, keep it. If it doesn't work, move it.

jeepinjeepin

Premium Subscriber
And if anyone does want to play on EchoLink let me know. I have it on my phone, tablet, and PC. I much prefer the function on the PC though. That kinda skews me towards nights and weekends. Of course schedules get tight this time of the year.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Why just one? Have one HF for those that have it and one Echolink for those that want to do that route...

I'm currently bereft of HF except for 10 meters.. But can do Echolink dang near everywhere..

And then why just one HF band? Have a 20m net for those who can play during the day.. 40 for the evening guys and gals.. And 80 for the night owls..

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
Well, I haven't heard from the OP, but if anyone is interested I am currently listening to 7.193 (7.190 is busy). At about 2000 hours my time I will make some noises to see if anyone is around.

Status
Not open for further replies.