Anyone have / is buying the CS-800D ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

box23

They have fixed a lot of bugs so far but the two major bugs right now are missed transmissions when parked on an active TG. The other is TG scan. It's useless right now with the current firmware. It seems both are related in some way.

I had not heard of the missed transmissions. Good to know. By TG Scan, do you mean group lists?

... will be released with the ability to put 160 channels in a zone.

What is the current limit?

... another round of firmware ... for us all to beta test.

We have been doing this for Motorola for how long now? Is it really surprising for this manufacturer?

mikey60

They have fixed a lot of bugs so far but the two major bugs right now are missed transmissions when parked on an active TG. The other is TG scan. It's useless right now with the current firmware. It seems both are related in some way.

I'm guessing in the coming days there will be another round of firmware for the CD800D and CS750 for us all to beta test.

Have you tried the 20.11 version of firmware that was released last week? I haven't seen a lot of these issues with mine as yet.

Mike

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I had not heard of the missed transmissions. Good to know. By TG Scan, do you mean group lists?

What is the current limit?

We have been doing this for Motorola for how long now? Is it really surprising for this manufacturer?

No, not group lists. Simply creating a scan list with some talk groups in it. When this is done and you try to scan these TG's it will miss at lot of transmissions. Likewise when just sitting on a TG not scanning. The radio will miss a lot of transmissions.

The current zone channel capacity is 16.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried the 20.11 version of firmware that was released last week? I haven't seen a lot of these issues with mine as yet.

Mike

Yes I'm running version 20.11. I even made a very basic code plug and I'm still experiencing the issues I mentioned above.

RATPAD

hit or miss

I have been dealing with my cs800d with the same issues as others. I have an MD-380 and a MD-390 and both of them are working just fine, however as I gaze upon the 800D it will simply show it is receiving but no audio and nothing on the display. Another thing it will do is sometimes when it does receive it will not always display the information associated with the remote user. sometimes I can make it work if I happen to notice it is working and guess correctly which talk group is active I can key the mic and it will sometimes open up and begin working. I have also found if I scroll up or down off what is an active TG it will sometimes work. I have kept the contacts to a minimum and I do not use the scanning. But as others have stated it will be on the talk group and remain quiet while my little cheap 380 or 390 work great. I like the idea but it is seriously flawed. I may go with a plain ole CS800 as I hear it works well. I do have the latest firmware and I have a codeplug from a local ham who has the CS800 and he has not had any issues sadly it did not do the trick for me. The problem is with the radio and until it is fixed I would not recommend buying one. I will also note they are not for sale at this time. It may be they ran out or they may be tired of dealing with all the complaints.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Any Updates?

Lemme ask you all something, cuz I'm considering buying this radio, I know several months have passed since this thread was commented on and the Firmware has been updated a few times. Is anyone still experiencing any of these problems listed above in this thread?

Also as far as missed transmissions on active parked TG, in your CPS programming do you have your Battery Save feature enabled? Because if it's on Batt Save check-marked that causes some delay in the radio "waking up" and such. I've enclosed a picture of what it looks like in CPS in case you aren't aware of what I'm talking about. Just a thought I just had. I hope to hear from you all and thanks!

David

Attachments

• CS800D.jpg
    CS800D.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 412

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The most recent firmware was just released this past week and is version 20.29, with the notation "This firmware solves one problem: 1. Scanning now works" and also a note "...The next firmware update will solve a problem with the digital monitor mode"
I just updated my CS800D to this 20.29 version but haven't been able to test scanning yet. I have noticed that the backlight now remains on when scanning. My codeplug does NOT have "Battery Save" enabled; didn't see any sense to enabling that for a vehicle-mounted radio that is running from the vehicle's electrical system.
My prior firmware version was 20.21 and I was not experiencing any of the problems described in this thread.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Why a mobile radio CPS has a "Battery Save" option in it is beyond me ! Freaking Chinese code writers are not very good at what they do.

I have loaded firmware version 20.29 but have not had the chance to test TG scan yet. I have to set a zone back to conventional scanning as opposed to using receive groups to scan.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Digital Monitor mode

I have been dealing with my cs800d with the same issues as others. I have an MD-380 and a MD-390 and both of them are working just fine, however as I gaze upon the 800D it will simply show it is receiving but no audio and nothing on the display. Another thing it will do is sometimes when it does receive it will not always display the information associated with the remote user. sometimes I can make it work if I happen to notice it is working and guess correctly which talk group is active I can key the mic and it will sometimes open up and begin working. I have also found if I scroll up or down off what is an active TG it will sometimes work. I have kept the contacts to a minimum and I do not use the scanning. But as others have stated it will be on the talk group and remain quiet while my little cheap 380 or 390 work great. I like the idea but it is seriously flawed. I may go with a plain ole CS800 as I hear it works well. I do have the latest firmware and I have a codeplug from a local ham who has the CS800 and he has not had any issues sadly it did not do the trick for me. The problem is with the radio and until it is fixed I would not recommend buying one. I will also note they are not for sale at this time. It may be they ran out or they may be tired of dealing with all the complaints.

I had that not displaying info but turned out it was another TG which I wasn't even on. (I was on KY and the traffic was on IN) Chris said that is a problem with Digital Monitor mode being on which listens to everything on that timeslot. I never used that option so have no idea how it was turned on. There should maybe be an indication if on or off.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
i have been following this topic on their site. Most buyers are pleased, but a few report the VHF side is deaf. Plenty of comments from owners on the Facebook group.

I've been interested in this radio, but when I looked at the specs on Connect Systems' website, the sensitivity is .35 microvolts on VHF and .22 on UHF.

Every other radio I've owned - both ham and commercial - have better sensitivity than that! Most are .16, .18 or .22 at worst on VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.