Anyone having Problems with the 396 Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
jambo said:
My understanding is they are NOT the same.

The Wiki article is wrong.

Motorola refers to it's digital systems (not including TRBO) as Astro.

When they first came out with digital, it was named Astro and used VSELP modulation.

Once APCO picked IMBE as the standard modulation for a P25 system, Motorola began to offer it in their Astro line of radios.

At one point, you could buy the same Astro radio with either vselp or imbe (P25) modulation. The only way you could tell which vocoder was in the radio was to put the radio into test mode and check the dsp firmware revision or read the radio with programming software.

The Peel system which is referred to as Astro Smartzone began life supporting the older vselp modulation format. Recently the system has been changed over to support P25 modulation.

Even today, you can buy a Motorola radio off of Ebay that's Astro capable but you'd better make sure you know which flavour of dsp you're getting or you might be paying to have that radio upgraded to P25.

The part about the Motorola referring to those radios (and systems) as ASTRO25 is wrong as well. Motorola refers to the newer line of radios which began with the XTS5000 and XTL5000 as it's ASTRO25 line. They just use the ASTRO term to refer to the older radios such as the XTS3000 and Astro Spectra.

Last edited:

jambo

Mike_Oxlong said:
The Wiki article is wrong.

Motorola refers to it's digital systems (not including TRBO) as Astro.

When they first came out with digital, it was named Astro and used VSELP modulation.

Once APCO picked IMBE as the standard modulation for a P25 system, Motorola began to offer it in their Astro line of radios.

At one point, you could buy the same Astro radio with either vselp or imbe (P25) modulation. The only way you could tell which vocoder was in the radio was to put the radio into test mode and check the dsp firmware revision or read the radio with programming software.

The Peel system which is referred to as Astro Smartzone began life supporting the older vselp modulation format. Recently the system has been changed over to support P25 modulation.

Even today, you can buy a Motorola radio off of Ebay that's Astro capable but you'd better make sure you know which flavour of dsp you're getting or you might be paying to have that radio upgraded to P25.

The part about the Motorola referring to those radios (and systems) as ASTRO25 is wrong as well. Motorola refers to the newer line of radios which began with the XTS5000 and XTL5000 as it's ASTRO25 line. They just use the ASTRO term to refer to the older radios such as the XTS3000 and Astro Spectra.

Ok, so am I supposed to program the Astro system in as a P25? because if I am, that could explain alot of the problems I've been having with that particular system.

By the way, thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding (on my part) about that article on the Wiki page.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Why don't you tell us which system?

If you're tracking the talkgroups on the system fine then you've got the system type programmed right.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
If it's a Pheonix system then he'll need to follow this up in the Arizona system or the Uniden forum.

I assumed he was commenting on an Eastern Canada system since this is the Eastern Canada forum.

jambo

Mike_Oxlong said:
If it's a Pheonix system then he'll need to follow this up in the Arizona system or the Uniden forum.

I assumed he was commenting on an Eastern Canada system since this is the Eastern Canada forum.

OOOOH okay, I didn't see anything related to Canada. All I seen was Anyone having Problems with the 396 Update? Sorry if I inconvenienced you all.

rfsparkz

Premium Subscriber
Update

Hello,
I updated both the 396 & 996 and I am very pleased with the results.They now sound as good as the radios used in the squad cars and other service vehicles.I showed a friend of mine which works with York Regional Police and he commented that yes they are great radios now with the updates.

Russ VE3ELL

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I wish they'd address (aside from my constant grumbling about the lack of patch support and durability) would be to put a better speaker in and have more audio output. Max volume on the 396 is not even 1/4 volume on a commercial rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.