Anyone in South Central PA familiar with 39.34?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

I was running a service search (police and fire/emergency) on my BC125AT on the way to work this morning. One of the frequencies I picked up (39.34) had transmissions that were definitely police (dispatching for a domestic). I ran the frequency through the FCC licensing search and the only thing within 75 miles was from MD. Is it possible that I am hearing them the whole way up in Perry County? I programmed it in so I can listen for more transmissions to see if I can nail down locations.

Last edited:

captclint

Mentor
I picked up (39.34) had transmissions that were definitely police (dispatching for a domestic). I ran the frequency through the FCC licensing search and the only thing within 75 miles was from MD. Is it possible that I am hearing them the whole way up in Perry County? .
Low band is notorious for "skipping" several hundred miles in the summer. As you listen, you may hear a southern accent. More likely it is coming from more than 75 miles, but it could be Perry.

Last edited:

W3DMV

Maryland State Police have some big transmitters.

39.340 110.9 Hagerstown
39.340 127.3 Bel Air

I can hear them both at my house in Gettysburg with a hand held & duck antennna..

dmg1969

That's kind of what I figured. I will keep it programmed and listen. That would be my first experience with skip. Two other low band signals I picked up were 46.16 which I believe is Franklin County Fire dispatch and 33.90 which MAY be Lebanon County because I heard mention of Annville Township.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dmg1969

Thanks all for the info. I heard some traffic on 39.34 on the way to my brother's house yesterday. It was not the greatest signal except for in spots where it cleared up. I was able to make out that they were running a registration check for MD. It's is definitely PD, but I heard one of the mobiles calling to "county". I wouldn't think that a MSP mobile would be calling to "county" (base, maybe). What I might have to do is put the scanner in search mode again and see if I can pick up the tone. That should nail it. The signal is clearer when I am a little further south on the way to work.

As far as the other two...Franklin and Lancaster make sense for what I am hearing.

Dave

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
39.34 with 110.9 is Hagerstown MSP. Washington County MD Sheriff uses this along with MSP. Frequency is very busy.

dmg1969

I forgot to use the search mode on the way into work this morning. I will do it on the way home to figure out the tone.

Was definitely hearing Lancaster and Franklin Counties on the way in. Franklin for me is clearer than Lancaster.

Now...in the database, 46.16 is labeled only as Franklin County fire dispatch. They do dispatch both fire and EMS from this frequency though, correct?

dmg1969

Bingo. Using the search feature, the tone is 110.9. So, I am hearing MSP and Washington County Sheriff. Im going to have to use the search feature more often to find new and interesting frequencies. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.