Anyone know how Cambria County is broken down (government wise)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

Does anyone know or have a list of how exactly Cambria County is broken down by boros, twps, cities, etc?

I mean, for example, appearntly Park Hill Village is part of East Taylor Twp, and Westwood is Lower Yoder, and I guess Ebensburg is part of Cambria Twp. Also, it seems Oakland is Stoneycreek Twp.

Does anyone know exactly how it all breaks down?

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
RedPenguin said:
Does anyone know or have a list of how exactly Cambria County is broken down by boros, twps, cities, etc?

I mean, for example, appearntly Park Hill Village is part of East Taylor Twp, and Westwood is Lower Yoder, and I guess Ebensburg is part of Cambria Twp. Also, it seems Oakland is Stoneycreek Twp.

Does anyone know exactly how it all breaks down?

In Pennsylvania, local governments are townships, boroughs, or cities (two exceptions are Bloomsburg which is the only incorporated town in PA and many home rule* municipal governments which simply refer to themselves as "Municipality of X".). Along highways and roads, you'll see lots of little blue and white signs installed by PennDOT listings Towns, Villages, etc. If these don't list one of the previously mentioned local government entities, the area is just a named part of a particular local government. Much like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have dozens of neighborhood names, there are little crossroads all over the state that have names dating back to colonial times but that are, in actuality, just a part of some township, borough, etc.

Wikipedia listings for PA counties also list the local governments within each county:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambria_County,_Pennsylvania

PennDOT's county maps (Type 10) show local governments in each county as well as other useful information.
There is also a statewide political subdivision map on PennDOT's site showing all 2,000+ local governments in PA.

http://www.penndot.com/Internet/Bureaus/pdPlanRes.nsf/infoBPRCartoMapsinPDFandDJVU?OpenForm

* - A home rule municipality in PA is a township or borough who has elected to use a form of local government that does not conform to the standard Township or Borough Codes of PA. These municipalities create their own home rule charters outlining the structure of their local government. The process is long and has to go to the citizenry for a vote at election time.

Last edited:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
RedPenguin said:
I know the Wikipedia on PA, but I wasn't sure if like Westmont, which is a Boro, if it's technically in a township just like Ebensburg seems to be a boro in Cambria Twp.

Re-read what I wrote. Townships and Boroughs are two different forms of local government in PA. Ebensburg is not a part of Cambria Township. Ebensburg is physically surrounded by Cambria Township, but they are independent of one another at the local level.

There has been bickering back and forth for years about whether or not some of the many local governments in PA should merge to reduce costs for local services (police, public works, trash hauling, etc). Every now and then, some rural municipalities do merge. That's where Northern Cambria came from...the merger of Barnesboro and Spangler Boroughs.

The City of Philadelphia wholly encompasses all the land within the borders of the County of Philadelphia. Up until the mid 1800's, there were a bunch of independent local governments in Philadelphia County. Everything was merged with the City in the 1860's if I recalls correctly. Cameron County looked at merging all of its local governments together with the county government a few years ago since there is such a limited tax base there to support a bunch of local governments.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin

RedPenguin

I now understand

benrussellpa said:
Re-read what I wrote. Townships and Boroughs are two different forms of local government in PA. Ebensburg is not a part of Cambria Township. Ebensburg is physically surrounded by Cambria Township, but they are independent of one another at the local level.

There has been bickering back and forth for years about whether or not some of the many local governments in PA should merge to reduce costs for local services (police, public works, trash hauling, etc). Every now and then, some rural municipalities do merge. That's where Northern Cambria came from...the merger of Barnesboro and Spangler Boroughs.

The City of Philadelphia wholly encompasses all the land within the borders of the County of Philadelphia. Up until the mid 1800's, there were a bunch of independent local governments in Philadelphia County. Everything was merged with the City in the 1860's if I recalls correctly. Cameron County looked at merging all of its local governments together with the county government a few years ago since there is such a limited tax base there to support a bunch of local governments.

I understand now, I guess this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebensburg,_Pennsylvania

The way they said is in Cambria Twp, just sounded kinda confusing. It made it sound like a boro was inside a twp always.

Anyway, I know it can't be my connection, because I went to network-tools.com and did a ping of ftp.dot.state.pa.us and it says timed out also. See I can view the map of the counties, but I can't download any of the PDFs.

EDIT: This site http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pacambri/twpmap.html claims there is/was a Cambria Boro. Is this Cambria City, because it says it was taken from Lower Yoder?

Also, anyone know a Ward list? I just wanna know for the heck of it.

Where is Belmont? I've heard some say Richland, some say Stoneycreek, and Google Maps claims Geistown. Also the site above claims Oakland is in Johnstown, but I've heard from a Johnstown officer that it's actually in Stoneycreek.

Last edited:

ATTACKFF

Premium Subscriber
Belmont is RIchland Twp, Oakland is Stonycreek Twp, and the "Johnstown" address ranges from norther Somerset County, to Richland Twp, to Jackson Twp. It just depends on the postal route.

ocguard

RedPenguin said:
I understand now, I guess this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebensburg,_Pennsylvania

The way they said is in Cambria Twp, just sounded kinda confusing. It made it sound like a boro was inside a twp always.

Anyway, I know it can't be my connection, because I went to network-tools.com and did a ping of ftp.dot.state.pa.us and it says timed out also. See I can view the map of the counties, but I can't download any of the PDFs.

EDIT: This site http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pacambri/twpmap.html claims there is/was a Cambria Boro. Is this Cambria City, because it says it was taken from Lower Yoder?

Also, anyone know a Ward list? I just wanna know for the heck of it.

Where is Belmont? I've heard some say Richland, some say Stoneycreek, and Google Maps claims Geistown. Also the site above claims Oakland is in Johnstown, but I've heard from a Johnstown officer that it's actually in Stoneycreek.

Boroughs are [generally] smaller that townships, therefore, they are within townships (I don't think there are any instances where a township sits within a borough). However, they may or may not be surrounded 100% by a single township. Some boroughs may sit on the border of two or more townships. However, the government entities are independent of one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.