Anyone listen to DRPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjwyatt1999

I just got my PSR-500 last week, so I may be doing things wrong, but I'm not picking up any transmissions in DRPA's system except the PATCO Patch TG.

I haven't programmed any of the maintenance TGs, only the police TGs. I know the System is working on my scanner to some degree because I am picking up the PATCO Patch TG. Signal strength is good, according to the meter in the display. I've tried from home and work both of which are less than 3 miles as the crow flies from the Walt Whitman Bridge (but different sides of the river).

Other trunked systems, like Philadelphia PD/FD work fine. However, I'm not getting much from the NJSP Troop A barracks near me either. I do get stuff on NJSP, its just not as active as I'd expect being near 295, 42, 55, & the NJTP.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sincerely a newbie

Last edited:

W2SJW

Database Admin
Sorry to break this to you, but the patrol & LE activities on the DRPA system are ProVoice digital.

No scanner will pick that kind of system up...:(

bjwyatt1999

W2SJW said:
Sorry to break this to you, but the patrol & LE activities on the DRPA system are ProVoice digital.

No scanner will pick that kind of system up...:(

Thanks. That would explain it pretty well.

Follow up question: How would I find that information out? I'm not asking because I doubt you, I'm asking so I can learn how to get these answers on my own. I see in the database it lists the system as Provoice & Analog, but I don't see where it says which TGs are Provoice vs analog.

Thanks again.

robbinsj2

The System Voice entry near the top notes the kind of digital (if any) that is used on the system. For each talkgroup, there is an entry in the Mode column -- this specifies whether it is (A)nalog or (D)igital. If you mouse-over / hover over the Mode title box it will give you other codes for that column. I'm not sure what "B" is supposed to represent in this context.

Also, to make a slight correction to W2SJW's post, no scanner is able to pick up a Provoice transmission (as in decode it to intelligible audio). It is related to the digital on that particular transmission or the kind of transmission assigned to that particular talkgroup, not the underlying system. You should be able to receive all the analog talkgroups if you're interested in them.

As far as NJSP, how much you hear would depend upon how much you are trying to hear. If you programmed in the HERN talkgroups, DOC, regular NJSP talkgroups and the Troops D and E talkgroups, then you should get quite a bit of activity unless you're monitoring at 3AM.

Jim

Septa3371CSX1

I can pick up the DRPA pretty good but mainly on the PPD T-Band Patch (TG 1315). This is how I monitor that part of PPD since my scanner is only analog. I've also been able to pick up the PATCO TGs as well as maintenance ones. The DRPA trunk system in my opinion is one of the better EDACS systems. It is set up well for interoperability with PPD and Camden County and City police.

As far as New Jersey State Smokies go, on the Troop A groups, I've been able to pick them up pretty well here in PA. I mainly hear the Bellmawr Barracks. Their system works pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.