• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anyone remember trucker talk on channel 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper652

Moderated
In the early 90s. I had a 3 channel Crystal cb handheld that came with channel 14. Then I added crystal channel 11 and was getting a lot of truckers then during that time

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Truckers use to use 11 before 9 became emergency channel then they moved to 19 to prevent interference

DJ11DLN

10 was the trucker channel when I first got into CB. They moved to 19 shortly after that, around '75 or so. At least in this part of the country it was 10, then 19, they could have used 11 elsewhere I guess.

CaptDan

I remember Truckers using 11 for quite a while, and boaters were using 16 to mimic the VHF coast guard channel 16 - then when channel #9 became the national emergency channel, truckers moved to 19. If I remember correctly boats stayed on 16. I seem to remember 4x4 off road vehicles - mostly jeeps and then broncos and blazers used 13 while driving on the beach.

I was at the jersi shore during this time - 1965 - 1970 time frame

kc4jgc

When my dad first got into CB in 1972, 10 was the trucker channel. There was even a country trucker song that mentioned "channel one-oh" I saw one time on "Hee Haw".

Channel 9 was ALWAYS been the emergency/motorist assistance channel since the CB band was established. The trucker channel was moved to 19 due to a request from emcomm groups such as REACT and ALERT to reduce adjacent channel interference.

Channel 11 was the FCC designated calling channel. Once contact was established, stations were required to switch to another channel to continue the contact.

In my area (southeast Virginia), the boating/fisherman channel was 13. My dad had a CB installed in his sloop and mounted the antenna atop the mast. Channel 13 was very busy during the warmer months.

Channel 16, along with 17, 18 and in some areas 15 were by gentleman's agreement designated sideband channels. Many CB'ers I knew that had sideband capability were on 16USB or 17USB. One minor conflict was in Virginia Beach, channel 15 was an AM channel while next door in Norfolk, it was a sideband channel. I say minor because most of the VB AM15 usage was in central , eastern and southern VB. Closer to the Norfolk line AM'ers steered clear of 15.

Those were the days when CB was for the most part civil.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I remember Truckers using 11 for quite a while, and boaters were using 16 to mimic the VHF coast guard channel 16 - then when channel #9 became the national emergency channel, truckers moved to 19. If I remember correctly boats stayed on 16. I seem to remember 4x4 off road vehicles - mostly jeeps and then broncos and blazers used 13 while driving on the beach.

I was at the jersi shore during this time - 1965 - 1970 time frame

My daughter has a wrangler and they still use 13 for everything, not just the beach.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I remember using 11 now and then, but mostly 14 and 19 for trucking. Once conversing at a consignee or in a truck stop (between drivers), channel 5 was a very common go-to channel. Most channels used by consignees/warehouses/distribution centers were 2,4, and 10 for notifying us that they were finished unloading. Always varied depending on locations and user preference.

JD
kf4anc

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I started in 1965 when I was 12 years old. I remember Channel 11 was for vehicles. Trucks or cars. I do remember school buses from my Township being on Channel 19. I also remember towtrucks being on Channel 19. That was Montgomery County PA.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Wonder if REACT is still around, they used to monitor the emergency channel and aid motorists in trouble.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yup, used to belong years ago, but their monitoring of CB9 and roadside assistance became very spotty and they also drifted over to other mediums such as FRS, GMRS, MURS, etc. I hear they are big on GMRS repeaters now. I was a member in 1996 and volunteered as a dispatcher with the local chapter in Florida. I was laid up at home after a surgery and monitored CB9 (and all) with a big ol' Texas radio (forget the model number) and I called out AAA tow trucks for folks. I only did it for a short time while convalescing after a surgery, as internal management seemed to be chaotic and the guys in charge changed almost monthly. It was fun while it lasted tho. I still have the certificate on my wall :)

JD
kf4anc

WRCM

A lot of jeepers use channel 4. In fact I've seen bumper stickers: "Channel 4 For 4 Wheelers."

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
Slightly different here in Australia: 11 AM was the general call channel while 7 AM was the truckies call channel. Channel 9 was the emergency channel but i never heard any emergencies, if you were really in trouble then the 11 would be the channel to get contacts on.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My daughter has a Wrangler and she says they use 14 around west Georgia and east Alabama.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
When I lived in California the truckers used channel 17 for radio checks, information about the area and etc. Here where I live now they use channel 19 but they find other channels to talk on.

EddieHusak

I was a shortwave listener before I was into CB. I recall channel 9 was emergency channel, 10 and 11 for mobiles, 14 for flea-power walkie-talkies, 16 for SSB use. 6 was the unofficial "I have a big linear" channel, which 11 has also become. Channel 19 came to be the "highway" channel sometime during the CB boom of '73-'76. CB radios added 24 through 40 around 1978/79 or thereabouts.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I started with CB back in 1965 when it was licensed and had some reasonable rules that most people respected. As time when on it seemed anyone on CB thought they owned every channel and so it began.

I started with CB back in 1965 when it was licensed and had some reasonable rules that most people respected. As time when on it seemed anyone on CB thought they owned every channel and so it began.

Same here.

KDL 2694. With a Realistic Americana 23 plus and a ground plane. Had a nice group on channel 2. I could actually leave the radio on until someone called.

Later I bought a Cobra CAM88.

Those days are gone forever, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.