Anyone use ComTekk Two-Tone Decoder...or others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a recording of my local FDs Tone Out and would like to know what the Freq. are for the two tones. If I posted the audio file would anyone be willing to run the audio into a decoder and get the Tone A and Tone B for me please?

Thanks,
Kenny

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You might be able to determine it yourself using:

h ttp://ww w.techmi nd.org/au dio/#mus tun

Gonna redact this. I tried it with some known tones and it seems to read quite low.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I bought and tried CommTek but had less than stellar results. I probably could have put more effort into it to see if it would be more accurate but I got lazy, so it may actually work just fine.

I had great success with Adobe Audition however. I usually recorded a fire channel for a few days using ScannerRecorder and then played the .wav files with Audition. Between using the scope to visually find the tone-out sequences ant then using the freq finder to find the actual tones it was pretty easy after a few times.

Pretty soon I could "see" the wave patterns and tell if it was one I already had decoded. For instance, on 154.430 in my area there are 8 departments, using about 12 sets of tones on a regular basis. After 3 or 4 days I had collected about 4 hours of recording time, and I could even tell what dispatch center was sending out tones by the unique wave forms displayed on the scope view. Things like delay time between tones, amplitude of he wave form and various spikes in the visual representation allowed me to skip thru repeated tone sets, looking for unfamiliar ones to spend time decoding.

I found that Audition was usually accurate within about 2 Hz. below 1000 Hz. and about 4 above 2000 Hz. I used the Motorola Standard Tones chart to figure out the most likely actual tones. For example, if Audition showed 1081 / 702 I can guess that the exact tones were probably 1082.0 and 701.0, the nearest normally used tones. I have also found that using the tone results provided by Audition will work even if they are off a couple Hz., there is tolerances that the scanners and receivers allow.

N9JIG said:
I bought and tried CommTek but had less than stellar results. I probably could have put more effort into it to see if it would be more accurate but I got lazy, so it may actually work just fine.

I had great success with Adobe Audition however. I usually recorded a fire channel for a few days using ScannerRecorder and then played the .wav files with Audition. Between using the scope to visually find the tone-out sequences ant then using the freq finder to find the actual tones it was pretty easy after a few times.

Pretty soon I could "see" the wave patterns and tell if it was one I already had decoded. For instance, on 154.430 in my area there are 8 departments, using about 12 sets of tones on a regular basis. After 3 or 4 days I had collected about 4 hours of recording time, and I could even tell what dispatch center was sending out tones by the unique wave forms displayed on the scope view. Things like delay time between tones, amplitude of he wave form and various spikes in the visual representation allowed me to skip thru repeated tone sets, looking for unfamiliar ones to spend time decoding.

I found that Audition was usually accurate within about 2 Hz. below 1000 Hz. and about 4 above 2000 Hz. I used the Motorola Standard Tones chart to figure out the most likely actual tones. For example, if Audition showed 1081 / 702 I can guess that the exact tones were probably 1082.0 and 701.0, the nearest normally used tones. I have also found that using the tone results provided by Audition will work even if they are off a couple Hz., there is tolerances that the scanners and receivers allow.

Thanks!

From what I have found...Tone A and Tone B from this audio file:
http://www.alabamaweather.org/fire_rescue/tfd/010608_613AM__900PM.WAV
Is:
Tone A: 590.0MHZ
Tone B: 700.0MHZ

when I play the audio clip and the generated tones i made above, they sound ohhhh soooo close. Do most handheld radios that have a page out feature need the EXACT freq??? Or can it be off by .X

randyK

I came up with A-588 hz & B-692 hz. My computer seems to decode more accurate with a lower recorded signal level.
Randy

Last edited:

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
AlabamaWeather said:
I have a recording of my local FDs Tone Out and would like to know what the Freq. are for the two tones. If I posted the audio file would anyone be willing to run the audio into a decoder and get the Tone A and Tone B for me please?

Thanks,
Kenny

Why don't you just call'm up and ask them ?

Premium Subscriber
Motorola Quick call group 5 :
A tone is 584.8 hz
B tone 688.3 hz

I know this is a dead thread but didnt want to make a new thread for pretty much the same thing.
Our dept switched to Station-Selective Tones. I asked the guy who programs the radios but apparently he doesnt have access to the tone frequencies (they dont use QC II). If I uploaded the audio file could someone decode them please?

Thanks,
Kenny

sgtmatt

Premium Subscriber
has anyone ever messed with any of there dispatch sotware i here its pretty cool i also see they have eas decoders, just was wondering if anyone has ever used it

Status
Not open for further replies.