• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR Anyone watch the TRBO 2.0 Webinar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTS3000

Watched the live TRBO CPS 2.0 / Firmware 2.10 webinar the other day. Anyone else? A bunch of us at work watched it and submitted questions that they couldn’t even answer at the end Q & A session. We all left watching it with more questions than answers!

So we get a call the next day from Motorola thanking us for attending and if we had any questions. The Motorola guy was very nice, but couldn’t answer ANY of our questions about firmware 2.10 and how it will effect our customers who get 2.10 firmware radios when the warranty runs out. The call lasted 55 minutes.

So many questions, no clear answers.

But one takeaway I can share with anyone wanting a new TRBO 3300/3500, 7000 series is to buy one NOW from a real dealer who has recent stock that comes factory with 2.09 firmware. The 2.09 factory new radios come with many free EIDs that 2.08 doesn’t! Even if you upgrade from older firmware to 2.09, you will NOT get these paid EIDs for free. It must come factory fresh with 2.09.

Seeing as we have many contracts with business who are using TRBO radios and not wanting to have to deal with the unknown 2.10/CPS 2.0, we quickly ordered over $1/2 million of TRBO radios so we get them still on 2.09 firmware. CPS 2.0 and firmware 2.10 is supposed to drop either tomorrow or mid next week.

With so much unknown with the Moto TRBO team with CPS 2.0 and firmware 2.10, DO NOT UPGRADE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! For now, the highest CPS you should use is 16 (build 828) and firmware 2.9.

I foresee a complete cluster****** coming in the next years with CPS 2.0 and 2.10 firmware.

Comments?

com501

I suspect we will have about a 2 week break before new weekly shipments come with 2.10 fw.

Customers that DO NOT have warranty or a current Motorola service contract will NOT be able to upgrade firmware. I suspect this was done in order to deny the new features to anyone not willing or able to allow their radio to 'phone home' to Motorola.

This will also negate NA software and firmware from being used offshore. Also say goodbye to Gen I radios, they are NOT supported at all in the new MR or CPS. At least as far as we have been able to ascertain from questions are watching the webinar. I have dedicated a new Win10 machine to act as guinea pig for the next month or two.

Just waiting for the back-benchers to start loading their radios with 2.10 and finding out about some of the hidden gotchas of the codeplugs that have been dormant for a few years.

N1GTL

Database Admin
We all know that when you call tech support, the first thing they ask is what firmware version and, if not current, you're told to update it. Plus, firmware updates frequently fix bugs or problems. Now, if not under warranty, it is going to cost money to fix something that they screwed up.

romanr

I suspect we will have about a 2 week break before new weekly shipments come with 2.10 fw.

Customers that DO NOT have warranty or a current Motorola service contract will NOT be able to upgrade firmware. I suspect this was done in order to deny the new features to anyone not willing or able to allow their radio to 'phone home' to Motorola.

This will also negate NA software and firmware from being used offshore. Also say goodbye to Gen I radios, they are NOT supported at all in the new MR or CPS. At least as far as we have been able to ascertain from questions are watching the webinar. I have dedicated a new Win10 machine to act as guinea pig for the next month or two.

Just waiting for the back-benchers to start loading their radios with 2.10 and finding out about some of the hidden gotchas of the codeplugs that have been dormant for a few years.

You mention warranty and service contract customers. I just renewed my subscription on MOL a couple of months ago. Can I assume that I will be able to get/use/upgrade firmware and CPS for the remaining period of my subscription? Thanks in advance and apologies if this seems like a dumb question.

com501

The answer is probably no. Unless the RADIO is under warranty or in the service program that Motorola charges PER RADIO, you can try to push all the firmware into a radio you want, it will not be successful. The radio has to connect to the Moto server to be validated before the CPS will allow an upgrade (and I am assuming a default reset also).

romanr

The answer is probably no. Unless the RADIO is under warranty or in the service program that Motorola charges PER RADIO, you can try to push all the firmware into a radio you want, it will not be successful. The radio has to connect to the Moto server to be validated before the CPS will allow an upgrade (and I am assuming a default reset also).

Thanks for the reply com501. It sounds like the subscription has become essentially useless - unless there are some useful CPS changes coming in the next two and a half years.

com501

The new software/firmware packages have some new features, one of which sounds like DMR carrier squelch. I guess we will see.

XTS3000

This 2.0 is already a nightmare, and it’s not even been released. Motorola couldn’t answer 90% of our questions.

When a 2.09 firmware TRBO radio breaks/fails under the standard warranty and is sent back to Motorola for repair, they simply throw a new board into the case and clone the programming from the failed radio into the new board (most of the time). Soon they will only have 2.10 boards for warranty repairs. Now what? Does the radio owner have to pay for 2.10 firmware, even when they bought the radio with earlier firmware and should be repaired for free? Motorola can’t answer this question yet.

With so much still unknown by the TRBO team, they really need to put CPS 2.0 and 2.10 firmware on hold until they can get their “ducks in a row” and figure out how not to screw their customers and dealers. Many Motorola shops have contracts with big companies for radios and maintenance. This 2.0 will be dumped on dealers and who pays the price? As it looks now, dealers will have to eat the price for existing contracts. Motorola should offer dealers with existing contracts a “grace” period of 1 year for contracts to expire and then when time comes to renew these contracts, 2.0 would be taken into consideration when renewing new maintenance contract prices.

Many of the new features of firmware 2.10 are too complicated and will never be used by the vast majority of users, like dynamic OTAP TG’s. Most users just turn the channel selector and talk into their “magic box”, and others reply.

zsauve

Premium Subscriber
I noticed that when I renewed my Trbo CPS subscription back in March that Motorola issued me an entitlement ID for the software. Will this mean that with CPS 2.0, that this Entitlement ID will be required to activate it and that the CPS will be locked to 1 computer only. The screenshot from my account suggests that this may be the case.

Attachments

• EID.PNG
    EID.PNG
    55.5 KB · Views: 86

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Anyone know what TRBO 2.0 and Firmware 2.0 will bring to the XPR 7550E portable radios? I'm up for renew on the CPS subscription.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
New System Planner, CPS, and firmware are on MOL now. I'm not touching the software until I have to but I'm looking through the planner now.

celltech25

You can install the software it installs to a seperate directory

I have 16 build 827 and cps 2.0 installed and both will run at same time

I did have to dig around to find an archive i could open with cps 2.0.

First thoughts 2.0 is slow and very clunky makes me think of the crap software kenwood did with the d1n

DiGiTaLD

One guy's casual review here: Just downloaded CPS 2.0 from MOL yesterday and am trying it out. Not sure if I really like it yet. Maybe its just the new look and feel. It does seem a little clunkier compared to the old version. The validation tool is a nice feature. I read and wrote several XPR 6550s without issue. It will open the .ctb codeplugs from the 16 (build 828) version of CPS, but when you save them they are in the new .ctb2 format for CPS 2.0.

I am trying out firmware 2.10 on one XPR 7550e right now. I haven't noticed anything new but I haven't really had time to get into it much. FWIW.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
This is going to be interesting. Should I mention I'm officially out of the radio game as of the first of this week? I was able to get in and get copies of everything for reference though.

Firebuff880

@DiGiTaLD..

You should look carefully at what you have loaded on your system and what file extensions map to what.. There is NO SUPPORT in CPS 2.0 for Legacy radios AKA: 4000 and 6000 series, and there is no support for 2nd Generation running code older than 2.4. Since you can have CPS 1.n and CPS 2.0 on the same system I expect your XPR 6550's were written with an older install.

CPS 2.0 PPT Clip.png

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
No remote repeater programming? Man, after I wasted all that time patiently waiting for Motorola to include IP repeater programming as a standard feature they just drop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.