Anyone Working 10m Midwest US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9CVF

I'm in an incredibly electrically noisy environment, and as a Tech class, only able to work 10m in HF. Using a VHF repeater on my HT is one thing, but I wanna see if my radio and antenna are working, so if there's anyone round about Wisconsin running 10m, I've been tuning around and listening on 28.420, USB.

You might try looking for a Ten-Ten net. Even in the doldrums of the worse sunspots, there is activity there.

..........A link to their Home Page :

Home

(I've been a member since.... like forever, 10-10 Number 5****. )

............. It always a neat group of people.... and when 10 has been open, I have chatted on these nets from all over the world.)

Good Luck !

Lauri :sneaky:

Last edited by a moderator:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Ask around among the local hams to see if they know about any local 10m nets or regular watering holes. There's a group in the Indianapolis area that meets on 28.380 MHz just about every evening.

bill4long

I live in Indiana. Lots of E skip lately on 10m. 600 to 1000 mile range. Typical for June and July, and we had a few openings at the end of May. And a few random ones scattered throughout "off" season as well. You can never predict E skip, but most of it clusters in June and July in North America.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
In the past year I have had only one qso on 28.400.

Every once in a while in the late afternoon, I hear, but can't work, a group that i am guesssing is in Texas.

It seems like there just isn't anybody listening out there at other times.

Just for grins and giggles, I also sometimes call CQ around midnite, just to see if anybody is out there listening.

The one 28.400 QSO I did have was after midnite.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I've been getting bupkis on 10m, but then my G5RV Jr. is horizontal, I'm pretty sure a vertical would work much better!

KC9CVF

I've been getting bupkis on 10m, but then my G5RV Jr. is horizontal, I'm pretty sure a vertical would work much better!
Yeah I'm still trying to figure out how to hear/QSO a damn thing with this building built the way it is and not being able to put up an antenna outside, and I'm only licensed for 10 at the lowest, so it's all I can really try to work.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
You might consider a simple mobile antenna like a 10m hamstick on a magmount, cheap option that will at least work stationary. I realize your 440 isn't the most portable, but it can work if you want to play around. Most buildings have a great deal of faraday effect type shielding at hf frequencies, so if you can't put your ant outside, try the car.

KC9CVF

You might consider a simple mobile antenna like a 10m hamstick on a magmount, cheap option that will at least work stationary. I realize your 440 isn't the most portable, but it can work if you want to play around. Most buildings have a great deal of faraday effect type shielding at hf frequencies, so if you can't put your ant outside, try the car.
It's been in the mid-high 80's or higher for a while out here, been waiting for it to cool down. I have a ~50Ah battery and a 100W solar panel I can take mobile to a park or something for a power supply if I have a decent portable antenna, once it's not so hot out. I don't mind lugging the 440 around. It's heavy, but doesn't necessarily make it base-only. Actually if I'm not mistaken it was designed for portable/mobile use, hence that crap glue that was all over the VCO boards, right?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
...hence that crap glue that was all over the VCO boards, right?
That glue was common on all electronic devices from that era. The guys who restore old stereo receivers have to deal with it, too.

bill4long

In the past year I have had only one qso on 28.400.

Every once in a while in the late afternoon, I hear, but can't work, a group that i am guesssing is in Texas.

It seems like there just isn't anybody listening out there at other times.

Just for grins and giggles, I also sometimes call CQ around midnite, just to see if anybody is out there listening.

The one 28.400 QSO I did have was after midnite.

We had a lot of E-skip openings in June and July this season, and by alot, I mean twenty or so. I talked to lots of stations in New England, Florida, and Texas from Indiana with my 5/8 vertical, on USB and FM.

E openings can randomly happen at any time, and the formation of the E clouds on which they depend are not well understood, but most occur in June and July in North America. So, you'll have to wait until next year for a lot of E action- the E-skip "season" as I call it. But keep a close ear on the band for the rare openings. This website can help: QSO/SWL real time maps and lists among others.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
hmmm...that's neither 10 meters (which is what the OP was asking about) nor 6 (which ends at 54 Mhz). Typo or an image from an SDR? Mike

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
A weekly 10m net in central California can have visitors checking in during the summer evenings from Washington, Idaho and Arizona. When conditions were friendly, Australia and New Zealand would sometimes pop in.

Try 28.445 MHz USB each Wednesday at 2000 Pacific time (0300 UTC) Also do a search for weekly nets on 10 meters. After taking roll, they typically call for visitors, so see if they can hear you. They are often on "Tech" friendly frequencies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I forgot about the IARU beacons. In particular the beacons on 28.200 MHz. This is more about finding what you can hear, which is sometimes good and bad even for me. Mostly poor lately with the conditions. Anyways, go to the IARU beacon website and look at the location where the 10m beacon is transmitting. The page will refresh every 10 seconds as the signal is sent from a different location on the earth. Just turn your mode to CW on that frequency and listen for a couple of minutes. Remember, you may not hear anything at one time of the day, and later it may be booming in.

Anyways, what is great about these beacons are the availability on different bands, but they also send a tone at different power levels stepping down as they go. Basically, if you hear the beacon in Kenya and you still hear it at 10 watts or 1 watt, there is a very good chance you could work a station in that area. I use these beacons often to get an idea of what band is hot or not as well as which area of the planet. There is phone apps for this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.