Anything Mailed Anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomorrowtoday

Hi everyone. Just curious, after passing the test, is anything (license, paperwork, etc.) mailed to your home anymore? I have read that they no longer mail the license, correct? So is there anything to be expected in the mail?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone. Just curious, after passing the test, is anything (license, paperwork, etc.) mailed to your home anymore? I have read that they no longer mail the license, correct? So is there anything to be expected in the mail?

They don't mail amy more. Go online and download your official copy and print it out.

n5ims

You must keep your current mailing address (PO Box is OK) on file with the FCC though. They will still mail official notices to you. Things like notices of violations and the like. Most often, these will be sent certified mail since they're classified as legal documents and certified mail provides record that they were indeed sent (perhaps even that they were received).

You can select to have your license information mailed to you though. Instructions are on this link from the ARRL (item #2) --> Obtain License Copy

tomorrowtoday

Thanks. So just to clarify:

1. Just so I know nothing got lost in the mail...I shouldn't be expecting anything after passing the test, correct?

2. It's interesting you mention they mail notices of violations, I assume those are few and far between? I'd imagine it's pretty rare to get one?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

1. Just so I know nothing got lost in the mail...I shouldn't be expecting anything after passing the test, correct?

2. It's interesting you mention they mail notices of violations, I assume those are few and far between? I'd imagine it's pretty rare to get one?

Read my previous post. Perhaps I was not clear enough. They do not mail any more. They will if you request it as n5ims pointed out.

They do not mail unless you request it.

N0IU

Back in the olden days, you used to get a catalog from every mail order house and QSL card printer in the known universe after you got your first license but I think that has pretty much stopped.

tomorrowtoday

Read my previous post. Perhaps I was not clear enough. They do not mail any more. They will if you request it as n5ims pointed out.

They do not mail unless you request it.

I understood it, I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't expect anything else either (info. packet, notice, etc.).

Back in the olden days, you used to get a catalog from every mail order house and QSL card printer in the known universe after you got your first license but I think that has pretty much stopped.

That brings up an interesting point. Do you usually get a lot of spam mail?

N0IU

The last test I took was my Extra in October 1995 so I really don't know what sorts of things people get when they are licensed today. As far as email, I have my filters set up so that I get very little of what I don't want any more.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It wouldn't surprise me if you get a mailing from the ARRL asking you to join.

Railham_CJ

Premium Subscriber
Back when I first got my ticket I had a lot of catalogs and the ARRL sending me stuff lol!!! This was back in 09.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
both when i re-certified (let my original tech expire, kicking myself for that) and when i went vanity, i got a sudden influx of ham radio related mail. So im sure the catalog companies and clubs still buy the mailing lists.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Agree. Those were the days! I had more ham catalogs, than my wife had good housekeeping! But all good things end eventually. :D. 73, n9zas

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The last test I took was my Extra in October 1995 so I really don't know what sorts of things people get when they are licensed today. As far as email, I have my filters set up so that I get very little of what I don't want any more.
A alternate address on your license works well too. :). 73, n9zas

wrath

Does the other non ARRL Ve group still give other certificates and discounts for passing , I think it was the w5 few group ? Anyone know?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

KD8DVR

Make sure you gave an email address when you created your ULS account. You should have done this to get your FRN before you tested. That way, the fcc will email you a link to your official license copy. If you did NOT get an FRN, then one will be issued to you when your license is granted; but you won't get any email until you register your account. You will have to manually check ULS for your license.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

k6cpo

Make sure you gave an email address when you created your ULS account. You should have done this to get your FRN before you tested. That way, the fcc will email you a link to your official license copy. If you did NOT get an FRN, then one will be issued to you when your license is granted; but you won't get any email until you register your account. You will have to manually check ULS for your license.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

Some VECs require candidates to have an FRN before they can take the exam. Others don't. If the candidate didn't register in the ULS prior to taking (and passing) the exam, the FCC will create the registration for them, based on their SSN, and then mail the information regarding the log-in, including password to the candidate.

It's my feeling that all VECs should require candidates to have FRNs prior to taking the Technician exam. The VEs should not have to handle candidate's Social Security Numbers as this makes the VEC potentially liable if identity theft happens to occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.