Anytone 878 Analog APRS issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC3BJE

Good Afternoon, Everyone. I am having an issue with APRS on my handheld. Packets that are sent are only being seen intermittently on APRS.fi. The programming, as far as i know is correct, because some ARE being posted. However, with the unit set at the recommended upload of 90 seconds, I went close to two hours without an update. I have my scanner tuned to 144.390 and can hear/see my transmissions reaching the repeater when my indicator on the handheld says its transmitting. Anyone have an idea or are having the same issue? Thanks in Advance.

73's

KC3BJE

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
1. With your scanner tuned to 144.390 MHz you are indeed hearing your APRS transmission due to the proximity of your scanner to your transmitter. That does not mean your packets are always reaching a digipeater and or an Igate, if the digipeater is not passing the packets to the Internet directly.

2. Your APRS packets could be reaching the Digipeater or an Igate, but so may someone else at the same time and their signal is stronger. Thus, your packets are quashed.

Improving your antenna will help, but passing your packet every 90 seconds may not be helpful to the overall APRS RF network in your area. For example, I use APRS in my vehicle and when it is not moving the beacon only transmits once and hour, if it is even turned on at all. Some operators have their packets transmitting too much. Seriously consider how often you need to send a packet and who would even need to see it transmitted so often.

I am unsure if that radio has DCD Sense. When turned on if the radio "senses" a transmission from another radio, it will wait to send your packet at the timing you indicate, or it may default to a timing, or your radio may not have that feature. If it does, you should turn it on. I think I set mine to 200 or 300 ms. I forget and could be wrong. Again, DCD Sense is 300 ms sending the actual packets should be no where near that frequent. Still, depending on your use you may need it to transmit more often for a short period of time. Some operators use an entirely different frequency and setup their own Digipeater and or IGate for that alternate frequency. This takes the load off of the main freq when experimenting or whatever.

Have fun!

KC3BJE

The only reason I had it set like that is because that was the recommended settings. I agree with you about the frequency of the transmissions. But the lack of very little getting posted, it seems odd. What do you recommend for a setting for now? One hour? 10 minutes?

Hit_Factor

Do you have smart beaconing? It changes the beacon transmission interval based on movement detected by GPS, those defaults may work well for you.

I sit at a desk for 10 hours at work. 2 or 3 position reports is all I would need. If you drive all day you might need hundreds of reports for accurate position reports.

As previously mentioned your interval should be based on need. Who is watching you, how accurate does your position need to be.

Keep in mind if you over use APRS for no purpose then your signals could block APRS packets with a purpose. By no means am I trying to discourage you from learning APRS features and trying them out.

Example use: My radio club uses APRS to get temperatures and other data from our repeaters.

KC3BJE

Do you have smart beaconing? It changes the beacon transmission interval based on movement detected by GPS, those defaults may work well for you.

I am going to check the documentation and online now for that with my unit. That WOULD be perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.