AOR 3000a Dial Pad Not Responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

I dropped the unit and some buttons must have gotten pushed in the process. The frequency moves up and down by turning the tuning knob, however, none of the dial pad buttons do anything when they are depressed. I just want to go into direct dial mode. The picture shows the state of the screen.

Please advise.

Thanks

KnTPamz.jpg

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
OK

I know very often a reply can sound patronising, but this is not.

If just one of the buttons has become 'stuck' then none are likely to respond.

From the picture (and I cannot see all the buttons) it looks as if the 'Enter' button is depressed.

Go through each of the buttons, and make sure they are definitely moving in and out as they should.

If one (or more) are stuck, then do what you can to physically get it to move.

IF it is software, then a RESET may do it.

At the back of the unit there are four silver bolts. Remove them.

You often need to remove the top cover first, then the bottom one. You lift the top cover up from the back to free it.

Re. the BOTTOM case ---- the speaker cable is attached to the main board with a small plug.

It might be easier if you just unplug it, and then you can remove the bottom case all together.

Hold the receiver upside down, so you are looking at the back of the display. Different board revisions had the reset button in different places.

BE careful of one thing. There is a round black plastic enclosure that 'looks like' it may have a hole in it, which people often mistake for the reset. It is in fact the BUZZER. Leave that alone.

Usually there is a small switch bottom right as you are looking at it. Slide that to the opposite position, then back again. You probably will need a torch.

Before you replace the covers, follow any wires back from the display unit side to other boards and make sure they are connected firmly to the respective sockets.

Replace the covers. Then power up the receiver. The display will be blank for a few seconds, then appear.

NOTE, all your saved setting and frequencies will be lost.

That is about as far as you can go without next loosening the screws holding the display, and checking that for damage, or loose connections.

Hopefully it may just be a switch is stuck in, and with a bit of wiggling you can free it, before resetting or dismantling the receiver.

Good luck. Let us know.

dragon48

I noticed last night that the enter button was stuck in the depressed position which I assume is what is causing the problem, as hitting the 2nd function/Key Lock button does not fix the problem.

Should I try and force it open with a screwdriver?

RFI-EMI-GUY

you shouldn't force anything as getting a replacement keypad might be impossible. If the button is stuck you should try to work it around a bit to see if it pops out. There could be dust build up or sliver of plastic hanging it up. I think you can download a repair manual if you need to disassemble the keypad further. How much of a blow did this thing take? A few inches or feet? If the latter maybe the front frame is bent?

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
LUCK I HOPE

I know very often a reply can sound patronising, but this is not.

If just one of the buttons has become 'stuck' then none are likely to respond.

From the picture (and I cannot see all the buttons) it looks as if the 'Enter' button is depressed..

As I said, if just one button is stuck then none of them will operate.

It is not so much a matter of how far the radio dropped, really how lucky you might be.

You can use a tool to help 'wiggle' the Enter button and see if it pops back out, if your finger cannot do it, but obviously be careful not to cause damage.

Your fingernail might do it. A flat jeweller's screwdriver gently pushed into the spaces around the button might also do the trick, just to help move the button a bit to the left, right, up or down.
You must, and should not need to use force, just very gentle movement. It is not only the button you need to be careful about, but damaging the plastic around it.
Something like a plastic or wooden toothpick would probably be better. Also very gently trying to lever the button back in place may do the trick, but that needs to be done with the utmost care.

At least you will know very quickly if you have succeeded.

If the button does not pop out on its own, then someone will have to physically get to the keypad and examine it for damage.

As none of the plastic case appears to be cracked or broken it is unlikely you will have bent any of the metal behind it, which is good news at least.

Apologies if my replies are totally unprofessional and amateur, as some might firmly believe, or at least one person I can think of, lol.

dragon48

I fixed this with a small knife. I took out my trusty Swiss Army Knife and pulled out one of the small blades and pulled the button out from one of the sides. The enter button still fells a little off, but it responds and I can now use the radio.

Thanks for all of the replies. @ marlbrook - I didn't find your post patronizing or condescending.

BTW - this was a very short, soft, fall, and the unit landed on a carpet. I was just unlucky as it appears that it landed on the enter button.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
EXCELLENT

Great .... good job you posted the picture, although how I actually spotted the Enter key was depressed will always remain a mystery to me, lol.

Hopefully with a bit more use the key will settle down. It probably is not quite as it was yet, but the chances are it will move itself into a comfortable position after a number of new clicks.. Not worth trying to do that yourself now, just in case it went wrong.

Thanks about the non-patronising remark. It is just that over the years I have found the best way of describing how to do something is not to assume anything where possible, and that tending towards an 'Idiot's Guide' from the beginning is better in the long run. Some people can resent that sort of approach.

Hopefully you did not do a Reset and lose everything, but it is useful to know where the switch is, and especially not to poke something into the buzzer and kill it. A very easy, but costly mistake.

The other positive is that you will also see the backup battery on the board. I have had to replace one in the past, but now know that when you do you also need to do a reset (as described) afterwards.

I love my 3000 and 3000A, so hated the idea your might be a write-off if I could help prevent it

Cheers

dragon48

I didn’t reset the CPU, because I noticed the enter key problem and was reasonably sure this was causing the freeze. I don’t have a lot of saved frequencies, so it wouldn’t have been a big deal.
I don’t have a lot of equipment, but I really love my AORs. I have this and an 8200 MK111.

dkf435

The slide switch on the back of the CPU board changes the the baud rate on the RS-232 from 4800 to 9600. There is a push button that does the reset, sometimes will need to be held down while powering up, especially if the memory battery is dead. The front plastic keys are held in by a metal frame and there are tabs that push the switches on the CPU board,(they are individual switches and not a rubber keytop with carbon contacts). Most of the time either a dead memory battery or dirty DC power will freeze up the radio. If you have a US blocked AR3000A-B you need to remove the cellular blocking daughter board to get to the battery........ not sure what AOR USA does in this case unfortunately they usually get damaged when removed and cannot be replaced.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.