Aor 3000a

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnpr

My AOR 3000A has spent the past 8 years in a box. Now I've plugged it in and its display shows me everything lit up...every pixel in the display...when plugged in, not even powered on. Pressing the power button doesn't change it; neither does pressing any of the buttons on the control panel.

I would think it would be a result of the internal battery sitting idle for so long, losing power, and therefore losing memory, but even plugged in for several hours it doesn't change. I'd change battery if I could find an obvious place to access it.

Any ideas?

Aor

My AOR 3000A has spent the past 8 years in a box. Now I've plugged it in and its display shows me everything lit up...every pixel in the display...when plugged in, not even powered on. Pressing the power button doesn't change it; neither does pressing any of the buttons on the control panel.

I would think it would be a result of the internal battery sitting idle for so long, losing power, and therefore losing memory, but even plugged in for several hours it doesn't change. I'd change battery if I could find an obvious place to access it.

Any ideas?

yeah open the radio up ,look behind the digital display pc board theres a push -BUTTON press and hold it in whil turning the power on release when the lights come on ,this is a full reset.
this will wipe the radio clean so be aware all presets are LOST.

bnpr

Thanks for the tip. It worked. Never would have guessed that series of steps.

preamp

You know there are two dip switches on top inside the radio you must use both.(this is upper left radio front facing you)
with switches facing IN preamp is off and out is on.
I dont know if you noticed those,these are easier to find than the reset button.
But Glad it worked!

bnpr

I was a bit hasty in declaring victory. I did so on the basis of an illuminated readout screen. I've since discovered none of the buttons on the front panel appears to work. It tells me it is fixed on 80000.0 and getting a six-bar signal there.

Sounds like I may need to dis-assemble it again and hunt up the second switch.

reset

Hit the inside reset button again a few times,if its stuck on the frequency,try and see if you have the lock switch on the back in the lock position,that is only to be on when using the rs-232 cable for like Scancat gold,etc.Perhaps the CR2032 memory battery is bad and needs to be replaced,these you can get from a
Walgreens.(I dont remember if its soldered in there or not) If you dont feel safe replacing the battery bring it to a local radio shop.I recommend like grove enterprises or someone like that.

mancow

Database Admin
Why would he want to mess with the preamp switches when he needs to reset the CPU?

You know there are two dip switches on top inside the radio you must use both.(this is upper left radio front facing you)
with switches facing IN preamp is off and out is on.
I dont know if you noticed those,these are easier to find than the reset button.
But Glad it worked!

Reset

Why would he want to mess with the preamp switches when he needs to reset the CPU?

See my above post about hitting the internal RESET button.Its INSIDE this radio behind the display section.

The other post I put quotes the preamp switches are just additional information. For his info.
Im just telling him what I know about the radio.

bnpr

worked

We have liftoff. Lock switch. Why didn't I think of that? That appears to have fixed the problem. Probably got set during handling.

Now back to the manual to re-learn how to program the thing.

mancow

Database Admin
I see, that makes sense.

See my above post about hitting the internal RESET button.Its INSIDE this radio behind the display section.

The other post I put quotes the preamp switches are just additional information. For his info.
Im just telling him what I know about the radio.

dkf435

Also on back side of front panel in one of the corners is a slide switch for 4800/9600 baud.

As old as all the AR3000/A radios are the CR2032 batteries are most likely dead. Years ago on the first round I replaced with a coin cell holder from a dead computer or a new one from Radio Shack.

David Kb7uns

cm2esp

If the remote control is ON the front keys will be disabled, try to turn OFF the Remote Control (RS-232), it is a little switch in the back of the radio when it is ON the radio puts RMT on the display and disable all the keys, because it is expecting orders from the COM port.
Raydel

Status
Not open for further replies.