• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

AOR-8000 Display Fading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had issues with an AOR-8000 display fading out on them?
Mine has started to do this on the bottom 2 lines of the display.
The radio works fine, just the display is fading.
Thanks,

Its probably just a cold solder joint,if you are able try resoldering the display pins in the radio,if not send to a tech who can.My father's truck mileage odometer did that I resoldered the entire display and now you need to be blind not to see it,its super-bright.
If you only experience this on a wall-wart plug then you may need a new wall-wart plug.
Try it with batteries that are new(not radio shack batteries) and then the wall-wart then rreport back.

Both the wall wart and freshly charged batteries have the same issue.
I can certainly open it up and check the solder joints.
I'll let you know.... Thanks,

I opened up the radio and the back of the display is covered by a shield that is soldered to the
board. I didn't want risk taking the shield off. (too close to other surface mount stuff)
Looking underneath the shield the display leads are too close for my soldering iron.
Looks like I'm going to sell this one as a tech special. ($50)
If anyone is interested, let me know.
Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.