AOR 8600MK2, can I run 2 slot cards at once?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spook46

Hello all, to give you a quick run down of my situation.
I am currently using a AOR 8600 MK2 with a voice inversion card (VI8200), and before I get yelled at, Yes I am a LEO and do have clearance to use it. Now I have run into a frequency that I need to monitor that uses a CTCSS tone. To my knowledge the 8600 does not identify CTCSS tones, this frequency uses a very low VI. I'm asking if I can run two card slots at the same time? I was told that it wont run two. Any truth to this? My department is very stingy as far as our budget goes, so its easier getting a couple 100$ card's versus buying a whole new unit that will do this. Any help would be much a appreciated, Thanks!

MarkWestin

Trap5858, You are correct for the AR-8200, but not the AR-8600. According to the Downloadable AR-8600 Mk2 PDF Brochure, "five cards may be fitted with two operational simultaneously". I have the AR-8200 Mk3 but I should have gotten the 8600 Mk2. All that being said, I'm not sure what you will gain by having a CTCSS (PL) tone available in your receiver. CTCSS is normally used so that you can share a frequency with another user or users. If you have one CTCSS tone and the other user has a different CTCSS tone, then you won't normally hear each other.

Mark

Last edited:

spook46

@mark, yes there is a slot for every card that can be used with the 8600. My problem is that I need to listen to a frequency that is shared by two different sources, was hoping the CTCSS card will allow me to input the pl tone I need to listen to. Any thoughts? Thanks for the reply you all great help so far!

MarkWestin

If you know the CTCSS tone of the user that you are interested in, and you program it into your radio, you will not pick up other users that also use that frequency. Since the PDF Brochure indicates that you can use two slot cards at the same time, you should be all set using both the CTCSS card and the VI card. I think that you would find that lots of people have and use the VI card or an equivalent there of.

Mark

spook46

MarkW.
Thanks for the info, think I will be able to run those two cards. I don't see why they would only allow you to run just one. This helps a lot thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.