AOR SCANNER QUESTIONS....Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodpecker

I have to ask, if you had so many problems with every AOR you've purchased why do you keep buying them? :sneaky:

In the hope that one day something worth buying will have been produced, to this day that has not happened and their products are getting worse!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
In the hope that one day something worth buying will have been produced, to this day that has not happened and their products are getting worse!

I not found that to be the case. Being honest the only AOR radios I've own was an AR-1500, AR-2800, AOR-3000A, AOR-8000, and most recently the AR-DV1. The one I wasn't impressed was the build quality of the AOR-8000. The plastic felt less substantial than other scanners I had experience with. Never had any serious issues or complaints. The one I was most impressed with was the AR-DV1. I think it still stands as having the most digital modes of any of AOR's competitors. The digital decode works great! Build quality was very nice. I think to some extent AOR is getting a bad rap for the more recent AR-DV10. Granted it has it's problems, but prior to that you didn't see the volume of AOR bashing like there has been on RR lately. A lot of it is sour grapes no doubt, from those that purchased a DV10, or was hoping to and didn't get what they were expecting or hoping for, and rightly so. Name me one manufacture of a newer advanced radio that doesn't have some issues? It all comes down to, does the radio do what you bought it for and how well does it do that. No radio does everything flawlessly.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
I have owned the 8200MKIII, The 8600MKII with the internal P25 board, the AOR Mini, the DV-10, and the DV-1. The DV-10 and the Mini turned out to be no go's for me but I have been very happy with most of my AOR purchases. Build quality is top notch. Design features is what gets AOR in trouble. My advice to AOR would be to listen to your customers, hobbyists included.

woodpecker

Quality needs to come before quantity, there is no point producing receivers that cover every mode if a large percentage of those modes are unusable due to frequency accuracy or drift.

I doubt anyone will ever find a Tetra DMO signal unless they transmit it themselves, they add these pointless modes yet don't even decode TGIDs or RIDs.

The digital decode of the DV1 is far from great, it sounds raspy and robotic in all digital modes, any sub $100 DMR radio blows it away on audio quality. It may do it all in 1 radio but it doesn't do it very well in comparison to using separate radios or a PC with DSD+.

MrThompson

I just started my research and I'm glad I found this thread. I think I'll hold out for awhile. For the record I have a pair AR8000s, an AR5000 and a Kiwa modded 7030 Plus. The only AOR radio that has required service is a new internal gel cell for the 7030 Plus, user replaceable. All four of them still rock. I also have a smattering of Unidens and a pair of VR500s. Only the Yaesu's have developed a problem, the glue holding the display ribbon connector had to be reflowed to restore all the segments.

Back in the day AOR's customer service was unbelievable. I had two conversations with John Thorpe, the engineer behind the 7030 and some of the early Linn Hi-Fi gear before purchasing the radio.

palmerjrusa

I just started my research and I'm glad I found this thread. I think I'll hold out for awhile. For the record I have a pair AR8000s, an AR5000 and a Kiwa modded 7030 Plus. The only AOR radio that has required service is a new internal gel cell for the 7030 Plus, user replaceable. All four of them still rock. I also have a smattering of Unidens and a pair of VR500s. Only the Yaesu's have developed a problem, the glue holding the display ribbon connector had to be reflowed to restore all the segments.

Back in the day AOR's customer service was unbelievable. I had two conversations with John Thorpe, the engineer behind the 7030 and some of the early Linn Hi-Fi gear before purchasing the radio.

I have a couple of AOR 7030 Plus receivers and they are outstanding performers.

Some of the segments in the display on my VR-500 no longer work. I contacted Yaesu a little while back and they had just recently stopped servicing that model.
Who repaired your VR-500s?

MrThompson

Here's a link: DYI VR-500 display repair

The 7030 Plus is the only consumer radio I have used that comes close on DX to a R-390A. The audio, like all of Thorpe's designs (Lowe HF-150 & 225) is wonderful.

Sorry for the OT. I should point out that it's not hot glue, it's the warping of the plastic that holds the cable. Call it old age confusion as it's been awhile. Hope the VR repair link gets you squared away.

Last edited:

palmerjrusa

Here's a link: DYI VR-500 display repair

The 7030 Plus is the only consumer radio I have used that comes close on DX to a R-390A. The audio, like all of Thorpe's designs (Lowe HF-150 & 225) is wonderful.

Sorry for the OT. I should point out that it's not hot glue, it's the warping of the plastic that holds the cable. Call it old age confusion as it's been awhile. Hope the VR repair link gets you squared away.

Hey thanks for the link, much appreciated!
The VR-500 is a great little receiver and apart from the display problem it's in mint condition.
Will be following the instructions at that link.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.