AR-DV1 AOR supplies this expensive receiver with a cheap noisy switching power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I find it pathetic that AOR supplies this $1,200.00 receiver with a cheap noisy switching power supply! :mad:(n) It wreaks havoc with my ICOM SW receiver on the standard AM broadcast band that I listen to often for Talk-Radio.

I ordered a 12VDC 1500MA linear regulated power supply to replace it but I shouldn't have to!

Last edited:

opiekitty

Hi iMonitor, Thank you for sharing and I have the same problem with my AOR AR8600-MK2. Mine is noisy while listening to a simple AM broadcast like 640AM (KFI) talk radio. Please let us know how how it worked out and which power supply you purchased. I will need to do the same. Have a great weekend......Steve

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hi iMonitor, Thank you for sharing and I have the same problem with my AOR AR8600-MK2. Mine is noisy while listening to a simple AM broadcast like 640AM (KFI) talk radio. Please let us know how how it worked out and which power supply you purchased. I will need to do the same. Have a great weekend......Steve

Hi Steve:

I read a review that claimed this radio originally came with a 750 mA but it ran quite hot at full audio volume! The one that shipped with mine is 1A (1000mA). I went with a 1500mA. This adapter weighs 1.6 lbs because it has an actual transformer in it! I'll update the post with my results when I receive it.

Bill

18 Watt 12 VDC 1.5 Amp Regulated Linear Wall Adapter $15.95

Specifications
  • Manufacturer: ReliaPro
  • Manufacturer #: DFU120150/G9760
  • Input Voltage: 108-132 VAC, 60 Hz
  • Output Voltage: 12 VDC
  • Current Rating: 1500 mA
  • Output Connector: 2.1 mm x 5.5 mm x 11 mm, F2 - Center Positive
  • Output Cord Length: 6 Feet
  • Size: 3.1" H x 2.6" W x 2.2" D
  • Case Color: Black
  • Weight: 1.6 lbs.
DFU120150/G9760: Jameco Reliapro : 18 Watt 12 VDC 1.5 Amp Regulated Linear Wall Adapter : Power Supplies & Wall Adapters

Attachments

• powersupply.JPG
    powersupply.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 18

G7HID

At home I run my DV1 off of a second hand 3A CB linear power supply, with the voltage wound down from 13.5 to 12VDC.
The DV1 runs nice and cool with no noise caused by the PSU..

Mike

swman

I have run into some of Jameco "Reliapro"" so called "linear wall" wart adapters containing SWITCHING regulators (with no indication of this change they made). They still use a power transformer all right , BUT SOME (not all) went to a switching type regulator which are also noisy buggers around MW/SW receiver antennas. This of course saves having a large heatsink on the regulator and reduces cost.

Went a few rounds with the Jameco CEO on this and they FINALLY admitted that some "Real Pro" linear adapters were changed to a switching regulator. At first they flat out denied it (I tore the offending adapter apart and checked it) ! He also told me straight off that they are going to continue to market these as linear (yeah right).

The old Jameco 170245 1 amp "Reliapro" model (last batch I ordered still used a nice quiet linear regulator) does not work well with the AR-DV1 as I tested it. It get's way too hot ! So will be interesting too see how this new 249244 works with the DR-DV1 ? In reality the 170245 is only good for around 500 ma's CONTINIOUS.

DDU120100H4480: Jameco Reliapro : AC to DC Power Supply Wall Adapter Transformer Single Output 12 Volt 1 Amp 12 Watt : Power Supplies & Wall Adapters

The Astron RS-7A works great with the AR-DV1 (pass transistor heatsink only medium warm after hours on) and also has crowbar overvoltage protection and of course a variable output adjustment for the desired 12V operation.

swman

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
At home I run my DV1 off of a second hand 3A CB linear power supply, with the voltage wound down from 13.5 to 12VDC.
The DV1 runs nice and cool with no noise caused by the PSU..

Mike

That sounds like a good solution as well Mike!

In the review I read, the heat problem was with the 750 mA wall-wart power supply, not the radio itself. The 1000 mA that came with mine does not heat up, it's just noisy. I also have an Astron RS-12M (12A power supply) for my ICOM IC-7600 (running in receive only) and it's oversized for that, so I could power the DV1 from that as well, but I don't want to run something that big when it's not needed.

AOR-262

The AD-55 PSU supplied with my Icom IC-R8600 makes my AOR 8600 Mk2 sound terrible on frequencies between 0.500kHz and approx. 1MHz -- turn the Icom AD-55 PSU off and the reception on the AOR is perfect!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The AD-55 PSU supplied with my Icom IC-R8600 makes my AOR 8600 Mk2 sound terrible on frequencies between 0.500kHz and approx. 1MHz -- turn the Icom AD-55 PSU off and the reception on the AOR is perfect!

My AOR power supply noise is getting into my IC-7600, especially at 760 kHz AM. I'll admit, part of the problem is all my antennas are inside my home office until Spring. But that doesn't change the fact that the AOR wall-wart is the big offender. The power supplies for my router, cable modem, computer, two monitors, label printer, 5GHz cordless phone, two Netgear switches, Maha Powerex battery charger, and iSmart Alarm, don't have any impact.

opiekitty

Hi Steve:

I read a review that claimed this radio originally came with a 750 mA but it ran quite hot at full audio volume! The one that shipped with mine is 1A (1000mA). I went with a 1500mA. This adapter weighs 1.6 lbs because it has an actual transformer in it! I'll update the post with my results when I receive it.

Bill

18 Watt 12 VDC 1.5 Amp Regulated Linear Wall Adapter $15.95

Specifications
  • Manufacturer: ReliaPro
  • Manufacturer #: DFU120150/G9760
  • Input Voltage: 108-132 VAC, 60 Hz
  • Output Voltage: 12 VDC
  • Current Rating: 1500 mA
  • Output Connector: 2.1 mm x 5.5 mm x 11 mm, F2 - Center Positive
  • Output Cord Length: 6 Feet
  • Size: 3.1" H x 2.6" W x 2.2" D
  • Case Color: Black
  • Weight: 1.6 lbs.
DFU120150/G9760: Jameco Reliapro : 18 Watt 12 VDC 1.5 Amp Regulated Linear Wall Adapter : Power Supplies & Wall Adapters
Thank you iMonitor and appreciate the info. We will appreciate your feedback if it solved the issue. My MK2 drives me nuts on AM & CHP Freq....All the best to you!

DeepBlue

Be VERY aware that the Icom AD-55 power supplies can spit out as much as 16vdc! use a volt meter and actually check the voltage. These run notoriously hot on even the Icom 8600. FYI. (I would not use one on my DV-1)

S

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I run all my Ham gear, both for receiving and transmitting, with 4 cell LiFePo4 batteries. HobbyKing has a 8.2 amp hour version which really lasts a long time when several (in my case 4) are run in parallel. This supplies a nice self regulated 13 volts. The proper charger must of course be used to recharge these batteries. It's 100% clean power.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The issue is more likely that they had to change power supplies in order to meet DOE rules for Class VI power adapters. From what I've been able to find, there are no such adapters that do not generate debilitating RF noise over low band (including AM broadcast radio). We had to take AM broadcast out of a model due to the issue created by this requirement. Note that even every USB power adapter I've tested creates the same noise issue.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The issue is more likely that they had to change power supplies in order to meet DOE rules for Class VI power adapters. From what I've been able to find, there are no such adapters that do not generate debilitating RF noise over low band (including AM broadcast radio). We had to take AM broadcast out of a model due to the issue created by this requirement. Note that even every USB power adapter I've tested creates the same noise issue.

That's interesting Paul, thanks for your input! I would think for a wide-band multi-mode receiver AOR would have designed a power supply that produced less interference. I think KB4MSZ has the right idea to use a pure DC power source (battery). If my Jameco Reliapro wall wart doesn't solve the problem, I'll try my Astron linear bench power supply first.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I would think for a wide-band multi-mode receiver AOR would have designed a power supply that produced less interference.

Wish I could find a vendor that could do that. Even Grundig and Crane shortwave radios are supplied, now, with AC adapters that severely damage their ability to receive HF signals, so we aren't the only ones who can't find a solution.

prcguy

Find a vendor that will work with you to get an RF quiet AC adapter. It might only take a simple LC filter at the input and output that is configured properly. Many that I've seen are pointing the wrong way, as in the AC input filter is configured to keep RF out of the power supply and not the opposite. Same with the DC out, the filter is probably effective enough but its reducing RFI going into the supply and not out towards the users equipment. If you have a schematic of the power supply the filter is usually a common mode choke with cap bypass. The bypass cap needs to be on the side facing away from the supply on both the AC and DC side.

I know a guy who worked with a vendor in China to market a low RFI power supply for amateur QRP rigs and it works quite well, its sort of the standard of the industry for its use. Check out Howard's RF quiet power supply here: Kx33 Low-RFI AC Power Supply for HF Transceivers - Pro Audio Engineering

I have another friend that is somewhat of an expert on switching power supply RFI and he published an article in QST magazine years back. I'll try to find a link to his article.

Wish I could find a vendor that could do that. Even Grundig and Crane shortwave radios are supplied, now, with AC adapters that severely damage their ability to receive HF signals, so we aren't the only ones who can't find a solution.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The linked power supply is a Class IV. Class VI are required, now (enforced by Customs). I'm familiar with using RF chokes, etc. They just aren't effective enough on Class VI power supplies. I'm actually surprised that there has been no hue and cry from the broadcast community.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
To AOR's credit at least some attempt was made to suppress the interference as they did put a clip on filter choke on the power lead right at the barrel connector plug. It just doesn't appear to be good enough.

opiekitty

I have a Monster HTS2500 Home Theatre power center. What are your thoughts on using this for assisting on reducing noise? Thanks Guys!!

Attachments

• MONSTER HTS2500.pdf
    875.3 KB · Views: 7

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have a Monster HTS2500 Home Theatre power center. What are your thoughts on using this for assisting on reducing noise? Thanks Guys!!

I'm not familiar the HTS2500. While I think Monster markets decent products they usually come at Monster prices so I tend to avoid them. I know their cables are way overpriced, over rated. Typically these devices will filter out noise from entering your equipment from power lines generated from things like electric razors, blenders, vacuum cleaners, some types of lighting and other interference. They also have surge protection. So yes it can help in many circumstances, but it won't do anything to eliminate noise generated by devices plugged into the output end of it, only from the power being fed into it. So if you had a RF noisy AC adapter plugged into the HTS2500 it would not do anything to stop the noise generated by the AC adapter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.