AP mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Well, Lately my 536 scanners seem to have AP mode issues. I set one to AP mode and it never went online, came up with 0.0.0.0 as the IP.

I reset the connection to factory and reconnected to infrastructure mode which worked then tried AP mode and it was back. This is with the 1.11.16 firmware, anyone else seeing this issue as it happened to two 536 scanners that I have.

Needless to say when it doesn't have an address in AP mode the SIREN APP won't connect.

wbswetnam

AP works fine for me; I am still with firmware 1.11.15 - I chose to wait until 1.11.16 is made a public release through Sentinel. Did you have problems with AP before you installed the beta 1.11.16?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
AP works fine for me; I am still with firmware 1.11.15 - I chose to wait until 1.11.16 is made a public release through Sentinel. Did you have problems with AP before you installed the beta 1.11.16?

Actually, I checked after the post and it has 1.11.15 installed. Just started using WiFi again with the release of the Android APP. I installed a 536 mobile and connected to a tablet fine. Afterward, I had to run to the store and it wouldn't connect. Checked the 536 in the house and it had issues too. Went to AP mode on it and never got the AP Mode starts message and WiFi info showed a IP of 0.0.0.0 I only got it to work again by resetting WiFi to factory and then starting AP mode. Haven't messed with it since.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
AP Mode

OK, I was going to go over to HAM Station and I had to RESET to FACTORY on the WiFi yet again. This time it gave me a WiFi Module error, please check WiFi module. Reset it a 2nd time and it reset and I was able to connect my S7 Edge to the scanner in AP mode. Like I said this is NOT a Siren APP issue, it may be a problem that came along with the firmware updates for DMR.

May also have to do with shutdown of scanner while mounted in mobile w/o using the power knob. Note: really hard to use the on/off knob when the scanner is under the drivers seat.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Siren APP android

If it attached this is a picture of the Android version on a 7 inch tablet and the IOS version on an IPAD. When it actually works. And I still like the android version better.

Attachments

• 20160818_181000.jpg
    20160818_181000.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 285
  • 20160818_180950.jpg
    20160818_180950.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 331

eaf1956

Feed Provider
OK I had an idea! I know right? I had the AP mode as OPEN. A thought, what if people in the area seen an OPEN connection and tried to get free data? So I set a password up on the AP mode and now the WiFi seems to be OK and connects without an issue.

wbswetnam

What free data are they going to get from your scanner? Also, the AP mode only works a very very short distance - ten feet, I think. I simply left mine as 'open'. Someone would have to be standing directly outside my radio room window to be able to spot it. The 20 gauge and I are not worried...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
And the very most they could do is just listen to your scanner. While in AP mode, the scanner is oblivious to any local router/network.

Plus they'd have to know the IP address the dongle is using for AP.

AP mode was designed so that a smart phone could act as a remote head for the scanner. As such it doesn't reach out very far - the 10' mentioned above is better than I get, just trying mine outside the vehicle.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
What free data are they going to get from your scanner? Also, the AP mode only works a very very short distance - ten feet, I think. I simply left mine as 'open'. Someone would have to be standing directly outside my radio room window to be able to spot it. The 20 gauge and I are not worried...

That's just it "No internet" but they are idiots around here. 10 Feet? I can connect much farther that 10 feet. If I leave the 536 on in the truck, I can connect to it inside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.