APCO digital 25 security study

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkevin02

Premium Subscriber
As I was getting ready to leave the house yesterday I got a wildcard hit on 2209 on my PRE-500. The ID# was 2209. Today I looked that number up and it shows Finney County Dispatch Out of Garden City Kansas. Some times the transmission was encrypted & sometimes it was in the clear. It was for sure Law Enforcement cause they were asking for a DL check and a Tag Check. The dispatcher (I'm guessing) was always encrypted, I did hear the Officer some times he was encrypted and some times he was not. Maybe hope for other encrypted channels encryption fading in & out?

lep

In how many threads did you post this rather incomplete information?

mrkevin02

Premium Subscriber
Sorry was not trying to hijack anything. I post in 3 threads because I wanted a lot of people to see it so I might get the best answer. When talking in encryption and in the middle of transmission going clear and vice vurseas makes me think there could have been hope for fading in and out encryption.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Brilliant and insightful is a long stretch, merely reporting on a report published in August.

chris

millrad

Premium Subscriber
Apparently the writer has quite an inflated ego.
If I meet him, I'll let him know.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
A brilliant, insightful piece on public safety's most common digi mode:

Common digital police radio systems flawed, study finds - Hartford Hobby Radio | Examiner.com

I would say it’s uninformed and inflammatory.

The information about the encrypted radios all jumping out of encryption is incorrect and misleading.
The picture of the console in the article is not Motorola it is a Telex Console
and it has no P25 on it.

This is the big problem with media, they use half truths and inflame things to scare and misinform people to make non news into news

The author should be ashamed they did not do any research before writing this

millrad

Premium Subscriber
Here's a link to the official P25 study,
http://www.crypto.com/papers/p25sec.pdf

and the paper suggesting mitigation methods:
P25 Security Mitigation Guide

I invite people to read both papers and draw their own conclusions about when the encryption can fail.
I also challenge anyone to try and digest these technical documents, and regurgitate a story that the average non-communications person can understand.
Also officials administering these systems refused to comment for the story, including theConnecticut State Police, Meriden police and fire chief, and Frank Kiernan. Also refusing was Motorola, APCO and Tait Systems, which upgraded Meriden's 800 police system over the past year.

APX7500X2

Here's a link to the official P25 study,
http://www.crypto.com/papers/p25sec.pdf

and the paper suggesting mitigation methods:
P25 Security Mitigation Guide

I invite people to read both papers and draw their own conclusions about when the encryption can fail.
I also challenge anyone to try and digest these technical documents, and regurgitate a story that the average non-communications person can understand.
Also officials administering these systems refused to comment for the story, including theConnecticut State Police, Meriden police and fire chief, and Frank Kiernan. Also refusing was Motorola, APCO and Tait Systems, which upgraded Meriden's 800 police system over the past year.

That information was not put out for non-communications people to understand it was put out for communications people to understand and maybe do something to fix the issue.

You can't blame any of the above people for not commenting; you took technical documents, and wrote a story full of nothing. People should only write about something they know about and can back up with fact, not 1 or 2 other stories.

I can find 5 stories that say P25 is the best and 5 that say its crap so it would be irresponsible to write a story one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.