App for Toronto TPS/TFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I hope the mod will be OK with this post due to the inclusion of SDR use/integration, and that it may be of interest to those that are interested in radio tech (like me)

Since TPS went encrypted I have been trying to use other technologies to make-up for this gap in information, so I began building a web and mobile app-based system that connects up information from a variety of open sources, and this is what I have come up with:

The app is in Beta, so distribution is a bit complicated for iOS users. I have to enter your iTunes account e-mail to allow testers.

Android is much easier: all you have to do is go to Play Store listing . Also a lot of the features are available through the web interface. If you're an iOS user and want to be a beta tester, send me a DM.

The application combines information from

- The Toronto Police Call For Service (C4S) Page
- The Toronto Fire Service Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) Page
- Audio for the Toronto Fire dispatch via 3 SDRs
- Geolocation technology to locate (most, but not all) calls
- Call Mapping
- Toronto Police Operations (TPOC) Twitter feed

Some of the current features:
- Mobile-friendly user interface,
- Almost real-time updating of TPS and TFS calls,
- Push notifications for high-priority calls will let you know about important, newsworthy, calls even if the app is off,
- Play the dispatch audio for the call to get radio Tac channel,
- Matches Police, Fire, and TPOC Tweets for calls,
- Places calls on city-wide map (where geoinfo available),
- Filtering of calls shown in the call list, so only calls that interest you are shown,
- Customisable local notifications. Select any type of call to receive local notifications when you have the application open,
- TFS and TPS calls link to your default Map programme (usually Google Maps) so you don't have to enter the address manually to locate them.
- TPS calls will search Toronto Police Operations Centre Twitter feed to see if they have sent out anything.
- Push notifications for Environment Canada Weather Alerts and Warnings

Here are some screenshots:
http://tfscad.victorbiro.com/images/1.png
http://tfscad.victorbiro.com/images/2.png
http://tfscad.victorbiro.com/images/7.png

Last edited by a moderator:

HiVolt

Feed Provider
Thanks for the effort. I follow your page for the TPS/TFS dispatches.

Would be cool if you added the audio streams for the two available TFS divisions, south and east. I stream the east so you'd definitely have my support.

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
Seems to be some troubles with the MAP on the web interface

I noticed that too. I added it yesterday and for some reason when I made it work for the mobile devices it stopped working properly for desktops.

I will have to create separate pages, or figure out why, I guess.

In the meantime if you resize your window it seems to start working.

Thanks for the heads-up, and keep the feedback coming.

I'm doing this for the community, and if it ain't working for you then what's the point.

Cheers
Victor

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the effort. I follow your page for the TPS/TFS dispatches.

Would be cool if you added the audio streams for the two available TFS divisions, south and east. I stream the east so you'd definitely have my support.

I am thinking about it.

I am blown away by the flexibility of the SDRs. They really lend themselves to experimentation with building web-based applications for scanning. However, there are restrictions on how, programmatically, they can be accessed.

For example, the normal paradigm in radio is that you listen to a specific frequency and convert it to audio. In the SDR you would tune to a 5Mhz range of signals, use the software to "break them apart" and then turn them into analogue audio.

On one hand it is fantastically versatile, on the other I really want to be able to turn on a switch in my car and listen to a scanner.

Where am I going with this? you may ask.

Here's the deal: I have to do some work on the application and some features (like speech-to-text translation of the dispatch), and I don't want to take down this core functionality while I try to get the streaming stuff working.

Having said that, I can see a time when I would be able to do something like this, but I need to do a couple of other things.

Cheers
Victor

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
I have sent you a message for iOS testing however haven't heard back.

Sorry all that sent DMs to become testers. I didn't have e-mail notifications turned on, so I didn't realise that anyone had sent one.

That is fixed, and I have replied to everyone.

Cheers
Victor

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to everyone that has tested the application.

It is up on the iTunes AppStore at http://apple.co/2tOA7rn and Google Play at http://bit.ly/2nFDvEb

There are a couple of idiosyncrasies, but nothing that impact's core functionality right now.

Now to do the bug killing.

Thanks again to all!
Victor

Last edited:

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
Hey Victor - I'm curious how you've got the SDR end of things set up. DSD Plus?

The SDR piece uses 3 RTL-SDR dongles to cover the frequencies, and on the software side it uses SDR-Recorder (https://github.com/robotastic/trunk-recorder), which is built on GNURadio, on a Linux box.

When the dispatch is recorded it is uploaded to my web server, Speech To Text converts the audio to text which is saved in a MySQL database.

Victor

Status
Not open for further replies.