APRS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kf4mnc

Hey all,

Is it possible to monitor APRS on my pc via a scaner and sound-card?

I am not quite sure what you mean, but I am guessing that you mean using the scanner to get the signal into your PC so it will track the APRS data on a map using some software like UView? Or you can do the same thing but use software to port it to the internet and it will be an iGate to help people get their signal on the global APRS map. Are either of those correct? If so, yes I have done that. That said, if you have an active internet connection and you just want to see APRS traffic you can just point your browser to aprs.fi

n4yek

I haven't used APRS in many years but why can't you just download the APRS program?
The only difference I see is you are using a scanner radio and not a ham radio to feed the audio into your computer.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Is it possible to monitor APRS on my pc via a scaner and sound-card?
Yes. You will need a "sound card modem" to convert the high-low audio tones from your scanner's audio output into 1 and 0's that your computer can understand.

Google "sound card modem" or "sound card packet" or just go here:

Introduction - Sound Card Packet

Once you get your sound card decoding the audio, then you'll need an APRS program. See this thread:

http://forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-data-transmissions/278917-aprs-software-choice.html

Kf4mnc

Yes. You will need a "sound card modem" to convert the high-low audio tones from your scanner's audio output into 1 and 0's that your computer can understand.

Google "sound card modem" or "sound card packet" or just go here:

Introduction - Sound Card Packet

Once you get your sound card decoding the audio, then you'll need an APRS program. See this thread:

http://forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-data-transmissions/278917-aprs-software-choice.html

In my experience I didn't need a "sound card modem." I was able to get by with UView straight out of the sound card. But ymmv.

LtDoc

I've done APRS just as you described for a number of years. Scanner's audio output to the PC's sound card running a TNC program, which then sent the data to the APRS program running on the PC. That 'TNC sound card' software OR a separate TNC is required unless the APRS program has a TNC written into it. I'm not aware of any such APRS program that includes a TNC.

There are two basic ways of operating APRS they deal with how the data is received, RF or via the internet. One method requires a scanner/receiver to supply the RF that is then converted to a form the APRS program can use. The other method is by receiving the data from the internet which requires an internet connection instead of a scanner/receiver to receiver that data. The information from the internet is usually already in a format the APRS program can use. As long as the program receives the required data, it doesn't really matter where that data comes from, the two sources, RF and internet, can be combined if you want.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.