• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 4000 portable programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker845

when i go the read APX 4000 radio,my lab top says it doesn't recognize the radio. Is there a step i'm missing or issue with the programming cable?

SCPD

QRT
A driver issue maybe? Reinstall the drivers for the usb cable. Had it happen to me on one computer in windows 10 professional while the other running enterprise 10 had no issue. Are you using the correct cps?

car5le

Premium Subscriber
Just so I'm clear, you can connect the radio to your laptop and you have the version (or later version) of CPS the radio was last programmed with? What is the exact error message you get?

when i go the read APX 4000 radio,my lab top says it doesn't recognize the radio. Is there a step i'm missing or issue with the programming cable?

Baker845

I'm using software R13.00 that is newer then what was used to program the radio before. I'm thinking it a driver issue to. the error message says it cant connect to the radio. But with the same cable and same lab top i can read and program ApX 7000 radio's.

Last edited:

esfd283

Sounds like a cable issue. Either with the one you are using or the driver.

MatRat80109

Which programming cable are you using? From the APX4000 User Guide:

"Note: Only the following programming cables are compatible with the (APX 4000) radios.
• APX DMR Port Programming Cable (PMKN4012B)
• Test and Alignment Programming Cable (PMKN4013C)"

I currently use PMKN4012A for 6000's and 7000's and keep the 'B' in a file drawer for when a 4000 surfaces.

R/MR

Baker845

I don't recall the model of the programming cable ,but i will check. Its used with APX 7000 model and works great, no issues.Looking at 4012A and B cables they both say they work with APX 4000?

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Have you tried another machine with your cps and cable? I had a similiar issue with a pc in which it was upgraded from windows 8 to 10 and even though I used the dvd with the drivers for some reason some missed. I had to reinstall the usb drivers for the machine. Have you tried saving all your codeplug back them up somewhere and uninstall then reinstall cps?

Baker845

i tried to read the radio on windows xp with no luck. The pc cable and software work will i have no issues with APX-7000 models.

hitechRadio

MatRat has it right!

You must use the revision B cable to program the APX4000.

The reason is there is no external antenna connector (for PSM) style mic on the APX4000.

The Revision A cable used this external antenna connection for ground. (The 3 horizontal contacts above the main accessory contacts.)

The Revision B cable will work on all APX series radios 7000, 6000, 8000, 4000 etc.... And I imagine all TRBO radios also.

Has nothing to do with the driver.

Last edited:

Baker845

Do you know where i can get PMKN4012B cable? all the cables i found say PMKN4012B but have the 3 horizontal contacts?

hitechRadio

Do you know where i can get PMKN4012B cable? all the cables i found say PMKN4012B but have the 3 horizontal contacts?

The B version WILL have the 3 contacts for cross compatibility. It will still work, the B version just picks a ground up from a different pin location for compatibility with the APX4000.

There are many B version cables available on the internet from dealers or MOL. In fact the A version is NLA from Motorola and has been replaced by the B version.

Status
Not open for further replies.