• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Emergency Alert Timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

djm448

Premium Subscriber
I am researching the programming codeplug for our APX7000 portable radios for a concern we have.

I have come across in the "Emergency Configuration" section, looking at "Trunking Emergency Profile"... there is an option called "Retry Counter". Does anyone know what this means? I have looked in the Help section, online research, etc... and come up with nothing.

In my head, this is a setting on how many times you want the radio to attempt to send the Emergency Alert before it displays "Not Acknowledged".... which is where our concern is. The radio is timing out after about 15 seconds... which is what I am trying to change.

Any help is appreciated.

slicerwizard

That sounds about right. 15 seconds is a long time to not get an acknowledgement. The radio is effectively out of range and extending the retry time isn't going to do much for you.

djm448

Premium Subscriber
That sounds about right. 15 seconds is a long time to not get an acknowledgement. The radio is effectively out of range and extending the retry time isn't going to do much for you.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Agree with the statement about being out of range. We have discovered this while conducting training in a training tower with spotty coverage. The hope is that the radio will continue to attempt the emergency alert if the firefighter is still moving and becomes within coverage.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
From a 2 second search in the CPS help file:

UuiI2oq.jpg

RKG

Assuming use of a trunked talk group on the fireground (a no-no under NFPA 1221), there is a cost associated with stretching the Retry Counter: while the initiating subscriber is retrying the emergency transmissions, it is tying up the ISW channel, which other users need access to in order to transmit voice.

djm448

Premium Subscriber
Assuming use of a trunked talk group on the fireground (a no-no under NFPA 1221), there is a cost associated with stretching the Retry Counter: while the initiating subscriber is retrying the emergency transmissions, it is tying up the ISW channel, which other users need access to in order to transmit voice.

NFPA 1221 has since been changed to allow the use of trunked channels. I know there has been heavy debate regarding this topic too. Good discussions.

Will the radio continuously tie up the ISW channel until an acknowledgement is received? I have zero doubt once a console gets the emergency alert, it will quickly be acknowledged. But if the radio is out of range, then it has no effect on the ISW channel, correct?

djm448

Premium Subscriber
From a 2 second search in the CPS help file:

Thank you for taking the 2 seconds to assist me and those who this research will impact in the future. Perhaps I had a typo while performing the search, it's been a rough transition to night shifts this month.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for taking the 2 seconds to assist me and those who this research will impact in the future. Perhaps I had a typo while performing the search, it's been a rough transition to night shifts this month.

No problem. I have been there. As much as there is to dislike about APX CPS
I do have to say I like the help files & search feature. Ain't much you can't find there. :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

slicerwizard

A radio that is retrying any inbound message (affiliation, deaff, emerg) does not saturate the inbound control channel. There are plenty of ISW slots still available for channel grant requests and so on. There are dozens of slots every second and a retrying radio might use one or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.