AR-DV1 - A new perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Many of you know that I was one of the first to use the AR-DV1. I have not posted on the AR-DV1 in a while, but I notice that there are quite a few fans of the radio who are using them, and now two well known software programs for the radio. The radio seems particularly popular in Europe, where many of the YouTube videos are coming from.
My initial complaint was that the DV1 should be more like a scanner, with faster scanning and trunking. I was quickly told by Taka at AOR in Torrance (in person on many visits about 15 miles from my house) that the DV-1 was a receiver and not designed as a scanner. I lost interest in the DV1 when comparing it to radios like the x36HPs and now the TRXs.
However, we have lots of VHF stuff to monitor along with all the digital trunking systems here in Los Angeles. One big VHF area I like is marine traffic. We obviously have a ton of stuff going on here along the coast of So. Calif, and my QTH is about 12 miles from the beach.
Have always been able to hear louder marine channels on scanners, but often not the boats out 20 or 30 miles calling in into the harbor. None of my scanners seem to be able to do this. The AR-DV1 is really great on more distant VHF and picks up stuff none of my scanners will. This includes some boats down in San Diego making their way up to Los Angeles. Of course my 2/440 rigs like FTM-400, TM-V71A, and IC-5100 will also do a great job.
So what's my point. I guess that I am glad that the AR-DV1 is a receiver. We have a lot of good scanners out there now, but the AR-DV1 for me consistently hears weak VHF, weak P25, and weak DMR that my Unidens and Whistlers will not hear. With new firmware, scan speed is not bad, maybe 25 or 30 a minute. Certainly nowhere near a dedicated scanner. And no trunking. But I do find myself listening more and more the AR-DV1 and am impressed with its sensitivity on VHF and UHF. As an 100 Khz to 30 Mhz receiver, not bad either. In many ways comparable to my IC R8500, but does require my MFJ tuner to avoid AM intermod up to about 10 Mhz, whereas the R8500 does not.
Its a lot of money, about $1200, but I can see why some people have really maintained their interest in the radio and even wrote some special software. I guess my interest has also been renewed because of the announced new ICOM R8600. It will be interesting to see how these radios compare, although the the 8600 will be at about a $2000 price point.
Anyway, I do spend quite a bit of time listening to the AR-DV1, more than I thought I would. I can see why some folks have maintained their interest.

AlphaFive

AR DV1

Good Morning, interesting reading this morning. I am giving the DV1 consideration, but still in the research phase before I make a decision. You mentioned two software programs that have been developed. What functions would these programs perform? Are they virtual control related, or for decoding purposes?
I have communicated with AOR regarding MultiPSK for example, and was informed the radio was not compatible. By the way they answered me quickly, on Labor Day weekend. Kudo's to them. I understand the receiver is not an SDR, but still disappointed.

AlphaFive

AR DV1

Thank you Mike, your reply is appreciated. That is perfectly fine regarding the decoding aspect. The receiver was not meant to do what I am looking for. No one ever claimed it did. I respect the product, and I rarely see any negative comments regarding it's performance. Take care over there.

N9JIG

Sheriff
ARC-DV1 does programming and virtual control. Logging of activity is done via the Virtual Control function in a similar fashion as other ARC programs.

I presume other programs work in much the same way.

As for decoding, the DV1 can be used as a source receiver for decoding applications like Unitrunker but since these work with many less expensive receivers buying a DV1 for this purpose is kind of overkill. Of course this is coming from a guy who uses an R8500 as an audio source for Unitrunker...

AlphaFive

AR DV1

Thank you all, I am going to bow out of this thread. I had no intention of hijacking the topic. Thanks again for the advice on software. Take care.

MStep

Many of you know that I was one of the first to use the AR-DV1. I have not posted on the AR-DV1 in a while, but I notice that there are quite a few fans of the radio who are using them, and now two well known software programs for the radio. The radio seems particularly popular in Europe, where many of the YouTube videos are coming from.
My initial complaint was that the DV1 should be more like a scanner, with faster scanning and trunking. I was quickly told by Taka at AOR in Torrance (in person on many visits about 15 miles from my house) that the DV-1 was a receiver and not designed as a scanner. I lost interest in the DV1 when comparing it to radios like the x36HPs and now the TRXs.
However, we have lots of VHF stuff to monitor along with all the digital trunking systems here in Los Angeles. One big VHF area I like is marine traffic. We obviously have a ton of stuff going on here along the coast of So. Calif, and my QTH is about 12 miles from the beach.
Have always been able to hear louder marine channels on scanners, but often not the boats out 20 or 30 miles calling in into the harbor. None of my scanners seem to be able to do this. The AR-DV1 is really great on more distant VHF and picks up stuff none of my scanners will. This includes some boats down in San Diego making their way up to Los Angeles. Of course my 2/440 rigs like FTM-400, TM-V71A, and IC-5100 will also do a great job.
So what's my point. I guess that I am glad that the AR-DV1 is a receiver. We have a lot of good scanners out there now, but the AR-DV1 for me consistently hears weak VHF, weak P25, and weak DMR that my Unidens and Whistlers will not hear. With new firmware, scan speed is not bad, maybe 25 or 30 a minute. Certainly nowhere near a dedicated scanner. And no trunking. But I do find myself listening more and more the AR-DV1 and am impressed with its sensitivity on VHF and UHF. As an 100 Khz to 30 Mhz receiver, not bad either. In many ways comparable to my IC R8500, but does require my MFJ tuner to avoid AM intermod up to about 10 Mhz, whereas the R8500 does not.
Its a lot of money, about $1200, but I can see why some people have really maintained their interest in the radio and even wrote some special software. I guess my interest has also been renewed because of the announced new ICOM R8600. It will be interesting to see how these radios compare, although the the 8600 will be at about a $2000 price point.
Anyway, I do spend quite a bit of time listening to the AR-DV1, more than I thought I would. I can see why some folks have maintained their interest.

Great to hear from you again here Steve. I am still using my DV1 every day, and while I am "interested" in the new Icom R8600, I think it's still a little too early to gather much information about it. I'll have to wait for the YouTube reviews to see how it does.

slicerwizard

We have a lot of good scanners out there now, but the AR-DV1 for me consistently hears weak VHF, weak P25, and weak DMR that my Unidens and Whistlers will not hear.
So we want radios with good front ends, analog, NXDN, DMR, P25, and trunking. And better simulcast handling. AOR isn't going to make them, nor is Uniden, nor is Whistler. Nor do dongles qualify. Does that just about sum it up?

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Mike: Nice hearing from you again.
Slicewizard: So who is going to make them? Is it Motorola only commercial radios? Can anyone really make a radio that excels in all areas? I don't really know. What do you suggest?

AOR-262

What on earth has AOR done to the design of the DV1?? Its appearance looks like some cheap copy import from Taiwan. White case, blue buttons, orange screen. I'm sure they were making some radio toy for Fisher Price for 3 - 6 year olds ... but got the design plans mixed up.

MStep

What on earth has AOR done to the design of the DV1?? Its appearance looks like some cheap copy import from Taiwan. White case, blue buttons, orange screen. I'm sure they were making some radio toy for Fisher Price for 3 - 6 year olds ... but got the design plans mixed up.

They definitely did not go with the "battleship gray" and black color schemes that we are accustomed to, that's for sure. My initial impression was that it looked more like a piece of medical equipment---- something that you might find in a hospital or doctor's office.

Nevertheless, I find the design rather charming in its own way. The overall light bluish/green combined with the darker blue strip around the tuning dial and across the front of the radio does grow on you after a while. And most folks have also become accustomed to the screen.

Finally, it's "what's in the box" that may be more important to most than the color scheme. I think that in that regard, the DV1 delivers.

Last edited:

G7HID

As MStep says it does grow on you and apart from one or two of the button positions it is not badly laid out and the colours not out of place..

Mike

Last edited:

DSC45

Premium Subscriber

Hi Steve, great seeing your post on the AOR Receivers Forum! Haven't heard from you for awhile! Glad to see th AR-DV1 is getting a workout from you. LA is a great spot for monitoring.

Any new info about the AR-DV1 acquiring the APCO P25 Phase 2 firmware? That would be some pleasant news!

Status
Not open for further replies.