ARC XT vs FreeSCAN vs Scancat software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theshepherd3

I'm looking to add a Uniden 996xt to my scanner collection (now have two Radio Shack models), and was wondering about the software available.
Any suggestions or in sites about the ARC XT, FreeSCAN, and Scancat software?
The description of each seems tp have features that I might like-but ease of use would most likely be the most important.
Currently using ARC500 with the Radio shack Pro197/106 scanners(have one of each).
Thanks!

awattam

Well Freescan really is free and does everything I need it to for programming my 396xt which as you probably know is the handheld version of the 996xt. It easily downloads from Radio Reference and has a nice EZ grab feature if you want to copy and paste frequencies into the database.

captclint

Mentor
Any suggestions or in sites about the ARC XT, FreeSCAN, and Scancat software?
The description of each seems tp have features that I might like-but ease of use would most likely be the most important.
Everyone has different needs and expectations. I find certain features of ARCXT worth the money, but others are not interested in some of them. The only opinion that counts is yours. The pay programs have demo versions so you can easily decide for your self. However, I would stay away from ScanCat. It has a history of behaving badly.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Don't forget ProScan, which also works with the Uniden XT scanners. And unlike Scancat (whose author isn't a member here), the author of ProScan is, and has a dedicated thread in this forum for issues and problems.

Really, it's up to the individual to determine how 'easy the software is to use'. However before you make that judgement, you have to understand how DMA works. Contrary to what you might have heard, it's not the same as the Object Oriented memory the 197/106 uses. There are also many other options that those scanners don't have.

We have a few links - including the all-important Easier to Read guides (don't even think of using the mess Uniden put together) - that will help you along in understanding this in the following wiki article;

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Pay attention to the linked manual as well as the first couple of topics in the DMA FAQ.

HTH....Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.