ARC536 PRO softwareSDS 200 Trying to program quick banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnavy401

Hoping I can get some help and understanding with the quick banks set up. I have the SDS 200 and purchased the pro-ARC 536 software; I managed to get a decent set up using RadioRefernce programming and the software combined. However I've never used the software like this before, I'm from old school manual programming and figuring it out that way. I would like to set up a bank of channels with multiple frequencies and systems on one bank that I can turn on and off, example: say all aircraft frequencies on one bank, one county of Law on a bank and so forth. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated after I exhausted many youtube videos and got nowhere.

Hope this makes sense I'm not as savvy as I used to be.

phask

Premium Subscriber
There are no "banks" on the DMA style scanners. You use quick keys, similar setup, but different.

Look at Quick Key links. That combined with favorite lists give almost unlimited customization.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I like ARC536, but to be honest. Sentinel is a heck of a lot easier to grasp, especially for someone inexperienced at computers and just learning about how to program the newer Uniden scanners.
It's free to download/use at this link..
BCDx36HPSentinel < UnidenMan4 < TWiki
And the current USA/Canada RRDB is built in for you to build your favorite lists.
It allows you to do firmware updates easily as well.

Not Bashing ARC536..

gdaykoloa

Premium Subscriber
I took a few decades off from RF/scanning/HAM and have only just returned as well - so I know what it's like trying to wrap your head around how the SDS200 works, as well as how ARC536 works. I just bought the SDS100, as well as ARC536, and it was only by playing with both ARC536 and Sentinel (the Uniden solution) that I finally figured things out enough to get my radio configured (mostly) how I'd like. It's work in progress...

As others have pointed out, "banks" don't exist on the SDS200. Instead, you have a Favourites List, which is not dissimilar to perhaps how you may sort your web browser links -- it's a folder, and within that folder, you can define various things like Conventional Frequencies, Digital Trunking systems, Talk Group IDs, UserIDs, and so on.

Each Favourite List can have a Quick Key associated with it -- but there are also System Quick Keys (which I'm still figuring out if/how I'll use) -- for me, it was easiest to start with Favourite List Quick Keys.

So, in my case, I've got a Favourite List dedicated to the local county fire association. That is just a folder which I call, cunningly, CFA.

Within that I've added a System for Conventional Frequencies, and within that System I've defined a number of frequencies which I know the CFA uses.

I've also added a digital trunking System to that same CFA folder, and within that system I've defined various Sites, the frequencies those Sites use (the trunking control channels for the most part), and so on. You can also define Departments, which are another way to group together frequencies or Talk Groups which have something in common. In my CFA example, there is a Department for all CFA Talk Groups, and then specific Departments for regional dispatch Talk Groups, and another department for Statewide Command.

I don't always make the best use of Departments, but, it also depends on the the Favourite List that I'm creating as to whether or not that's really useful or necessary.

For your example, it sounds like you may want to start with a Favourite List for Aircraft, and within that, define either digital or conventional systems which contain the frequencies and talk groups (as appropriate). You can also make use of the Department grouping to help keep things tidy -- this comes in quite handy if you're looking to only focus on one specific group of frequencies or talk group IDs.

The "aha!" moment for me came from using ARC536 to populate a new and empty Favourite List, and then I wrote that to my SDS100, and then read it back in with sentinel and got a better sense of how it all fits together. You'll get almost all of the same options in both software packages, but, the RadioReference integration in ARC536 was, in my experience and opinion, superior. But, I'm in Australia and RR isn't quite as complete as it is for the US and Canada...but it still let me work out how the SDS100 stores information, helped me ensure I had sensible Favourite List Quick Keys, had them properly enabled, and got listening relatively quickly.

Once you figure out how to make a Favourite List for one of the categories of scanning you mention, others may fall into place...good luck!

usnavy401

First and foremost THANK you for everyone who responded to my question for help so far. I definitely need to trial and error more. I used to be on the Facebook thread for information but took a break from FB. Anyway I will get back on here with my results soon. I also just ordered that GPS dongle to the scanner so that is gonna be another challenge.
From what I understand though so essentially create favorite lists set quick keys that same way as "banks" so I can turn them off and on whenever I want to?

gdaykoloa

Premium Subscriber
Yep, that's exactly correct. I have Favourite Lists bound to Quick Keys that I can quickly turn on and off -- the local public transport frequencies being a great example. Whenever I'm about to head out and use the tram, I'll activate that quick key for a few minutes, listen for any major problems, then turn it off again...the functionality ends up being nearly the same as "banks" - but with a lot more possible. Just takes a while to configure it all to your liking.

dunestalker

GMRS: WRDN689
Premium Subscriber
I took a few decades off from RF/scanning/HAM and have only just returned as well - so I know what it's like trying to wrap your head around how the SDS200 works, as well as how ARC536 works. I just bought the SDS100, as well as ARC536, and it was only by playing with both ARC536 and Sentinel (the Uniden solution) that I finally figured things out enough to get my radio configured (mostly) how I'd like. It's work in progress...

As others have pointed out, "banks" don't exist on the SDS200. Instead, you have a Favourites List, which is not dissimilar to perhaps how you may sort your web browser links -- it's a folder, and within that folder, you can define various things like Conventional Frequencies, Digital Trunking systems, Talk Group IDs, UserIDs, and so on.

(Snipped!)

Once you figure out how to make a Favourite List for one of the categories of scanning you mention, others may fall into place...good luck!

gdaykoloa,

Your situation and mine are almost identical. It appears the both of us took quite some time off from scanning, but I wasn't a HAM - just a listener with a BC245XLT TrunkTracker II - so we were both in the same boat when it came to programming the scanners of today, you have just been doing so for a bit longer than I have recently (I just bought my 436HP a couple weeks ago). :)

But I have to admit, your explanation of how FLQKs, SQKs, etc. work is much clearer than the WIKI in RR or anything else I've been able to find. Either that or how you explained it filled-in the holes that the WIKI left me with and gave me the AH-HA! moment I've been looking for. (y)(y)(y)

Thank you for your post! Now I can run along and setup my Favorites to my liking - it may take the next few days to get them *just right*, but now that I have a better understanding of where I'm going, I think it'll be much easier to get there.

gdaykoloa

Premium Subscriber
Glad to know that my experiences were of use, dunestalker!

I only recently (April) got back into scanning after deciding to treat myself to a SDS100 whilst on holiday to celebrate a milestone birthday. Turns out that the ONE thing I really wanted to listen to was using encrypted Motorola XPR 7550 radios, and I was only able to catch a few interesting things on the local search and rescue channels (including an event with a rather tragic outcome).

Being a Mac user, I couldn't get too far with the SDS100 whilst on holiday, even though I used WINE to emulate Sentinel, but more advanced software was far tougher to emulate. Back home I've got a virtual machine which takes care of talking to the scanner -- for now. I'm tempted to write something in Swift which could work on my iPhone/iPad/Mac to talk to the scanner. A recent update to iOS will make this a LOT easier, indeed, I just tested it and I could mount the Uniden's filesystem directly onto my iPad and navigate around.

Anyway, yes, this was just a lucky confluence of timing. I have been somewhat challenged to understand ARC536, the SDS100, digital trunking, and all of it, just in the last couple of weeks, so I'm glad that my pain has perhaps spared some of you!

usnavy401

I would love it if someone in the midwest;: Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota Indiana, area or there abouts would be interested in meeting up to give me hands on instructions. Someone who uses both ARC,or sentinel for their SDS Or very similar model. I have looked at the YouTube tutorials and sorta just have an idea. I have no issue traveling the distance I'm near the Milwaukee area.

Total long shot and open to other ideas. I have heard of the program for remote access where you can connect to someone on the PC for tech support.

Status
Not open for further replies.