Premium Subscriber
Dv10 test results

Posted here in error. See DV10 hardware issues thread

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
What will be in the next program update

First the BAD news ..... very reluctantly I have returned the AR-DV10

In consequence I will not be producing a version of eSPYonARD for the DV10.

I was naturally prepared to wait while AOR eventually correctly implemented serial command codes so it could be controlled externally, however given the present hardware issues I had no choice.

I hope these matters will eventually be fixed, and when I am convinced of that I shall buy another DV10, and finish the (almost completed) program.

Now the GOOD news.

Whilst writing the new program, I have the opportunity of looking again, in great depth, at eSPYonARD.

In consequence I have come up with numerous small improvements, and some additions, whilst incorporating the last few Customer requests I had received.

I will not enumerate all of them here, as usual they will be detailed in the 'CHANGED LOG' when the next version is released.

However I am particularly pleased with the latest function I am working on.

In the past, eSPYonARD has always saved the last details used when the program was closed. So when the program was next used, those values were re-loaded and displayed.

To a degree the program has to start on an 'even playing field' of course.

However in the next update, the User will have an option (which the program remembers), whereby one can choose how the program starts-up.

There are two options:-

1. As before, re-load the parameters that were last used when the program closed

OR (NEW)

2. The program reads the values for VFOA and VFOB that the Radio is CURRENTLY using, and loads them.

i.e Frequency, Mode, Squelch type, AGC, Noise Reduction, Notch, Step and IFBW.
So essentially the program 'knows and shows' what the AR-DV1 is set to on power-up.

---------------------

When the program starts it still switches to VFO mode, (even playing field requirement)

I am still at the extensive and time consuming 'testing' phase, however I will post here when the update is available.

Thanks again for all the encouragement, help and support. If my calculations are correct over 3300 views this month on this Thread.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Another function added in the next update

In the past it was not possible to detect and display the received DMR Color Code that appears on the AR-DV1's screen, on the eSPYonARD display.

Whilst doing more testing I discovered that in a Firmware update AOR had made a small change (not documented) which means I can now do this.

Just a small thing but I am pleased about it.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Function update

Further to the above.

In the next update the Program's display will show the 'received' DMR Color Code, and the D-CR/NXDN / P-25 NAC and RAN codes that are being transmitted.

If 'MUTE' is 'ON' for those modes, the relevant Color Code, Slot, NAC and RAN codes which have been selected by the User are also shown on the eSPYonARD yellow screen. The AR-DV1 cannot do that on its screen of course.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Latest program update

The next eSPYonARD update will be released very soon. Please check the Website, however I will of course post here when it has been uploaded.

In the meantime Users may be interested in what it contains, and consolidates some things mentioned earlier..

I had wished to produce a version of eSPYonARD for the AR-DV10 handheld receiver, and it was 80% completed. Due to the problems with this Receiver I decided, reluctantly, not to produce software for it until such times the faults it had, notably its frequency drift/instability/accuracy had been properly corrected, which from tests others and I had conducted indicated changes were needed to be undertaken at component level, in hardware.

However, due in some part to the AR-DV10's firmware problems regarding external control, I spent many weeks going through every line of code in the current program, and as I did so found some ways of improving certain Functions, and adding others.

This resulted in the changes and additions in the forthcoming update, so the time and effort regarding the above was not wasted.

1. STARTUP OPTIONS - NEW
User can choose whether to transfer the parameters present on the AR-DV1 to the Progam at Startup.

This includes Frequency, Mode, IFBW, Step, NR, AGC, TSQ, DCS, Notch, VSQ, Squelch type and setting.

Whichever VFO is shown (A or B) is mirrored by the Program screen, when it finishes loading.

The second option is to load the settings that were saved when the Program was last closed. This always selects VFOA on top, and operates as in previous versions..

2. SUSPENDING CONTROL - NEW ADDITIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS
When the User elects to suspend the Program, via the Tuning Knob on its screen, and use the Radio manually, when control is re-established all the parameters above are checked for changes and transferred to the Program.

During the operation Audio is MUTED.

3. DEFAULT SQUELCH LEVELS - NEW
If the User selects 'NO' regarding the new Startup options (1. above), the program now selects two different default Squelch levels, depending on the VFO Frequency displayed. If 'YES' the current Squelch setting is transferred.

4. SELECTING MULTIPLE BANKS IN SEARCH OR MEMORY - IMPROVEMENT
When selecting more than one Memory or Search Bank, the time to process this has been reduced significantly.

5. RF GAIN SETTING - NEW
Right clicking the AGC button opens a window which contains a Slider that controls the RF GAIN level if that function has been selected.

6. BAND SCOPE - NEW ADDITIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS
A. Faster loading time.
B. Fixed an issue where when the Band Scope window was closed, VFO-A showed the MODE that was in use, instead of the saved VFO Mode.
C. When using the Band Scope, when 'paused', different IFBW values may now be selected.
D. Default Band Scope sweep adjust now set from '2' to '3'.
The realistic workable speed of the 'scan' is restricted by the speed of USB communication between the Radio and P.C. and also the AR-DV1 is not capable of reacting to an active signal beyond a certain enforced scan speed. There comes a stage where attempting to make the 'scan' any faster becomes impossible.
This does mean that the Band Scope scan speed is very slightly slower, but with an increase in efficiency overall.

7. FREQUENCY UP / DOWN BUTTONS - IMPROVEMENT
Both the single and repeat functions have been updated.

8. MEMORY SCAN SPEED - IMPROVEMENT
The displayed frequencies are slightly faster, but as always the speed does not affect the Program. It stops on the correct frequency when one becomes 'active.

9. 'Q-DB' PASS SELECTION - IMPROVEMENT
Fixed some issues when setting / removing PASS frequencies in 'Q'

10. M-BANK AUTO MODE SELECTION - IMPROVEMENT
Fixed problem when 'AUTO' Mode selected in 'M-BANK'

11. SQUELCH SELECTION IN 'MEM' FUNCTION - NEW
When 'MEM' SELECTED squelch buttons are shown, so changing them automatically updates and saves the Memory Channel information.

12. DMR COLOR CODE SELECTION - IMPROVEMENT
Added DMR Color Code '0' to selectable list for DMR

13. COLOUR CODE - NAT - AND NAC CODE DISPLAY - NEW
Due to a Firmware change the received DMR Color Code can now be shown on
the Program's display. Also added same functions for P-25 and D-CR(NXDN) RAN and NAC code display

IF DMR 'MUTE' is set to 'ON' the program also displays the settings chosen for the DMR Color Code and SLOT.

14. ACQUIRING LAST 'WAV' FILE NUMBER - IMPROVEMENT
Fixed an issue where this would fail if selected in 'PRO TOOLS' or when selecting 'PLAY NOW', after the Band Scope had been used.

15. PRO TOOLS - LAST WAVE FILE DISCOVERY - IMPROVEMENT
A. Introduced 'double' checking when the SD Card is downloaded and examined in order to discover the last 'WAV' file number, information which is essential during audio sample logging.
B. Fixed an issue with SCAN logging. I suspect this issue was introduced whilst preparing this update and was not present in previous versions. It is not worth me examining them now, as the matter is resolved.

grosminet

I there any good software that could edit and manage search bank and memory bank

It is a mess to manage CSV (is it really csv) with 3 lines per record

F5HPE

In the past it was not possible to detect and display the received DMR Color Code that appears on the AR-DV1's screen, on the eSPYonARD display.
Whilst doing more testing I discovered that in a Firmware update AOR had made a small change (not documented) which means I can now do this...
13. COLOUR CODE
Due to a Firmware change the received DMR Color Code can now be shown on
the Program's display....

Hey Jeff !
Just for your information CC command code to display DMR color code is a code available since firmware version 1512A, means since year 2015.
Also the CC command code was documented in the document provided by AOR:
http://www.aorusa.com/support/manuals/AR-DV1_COMMAND_LIST.pdf
So, it is not a new feature neither a undocumented feature as you say.
It was clearly described by AOR.

F5HPE

CSV Management

I there any good software that could edit and manage search bank and memory bank

Grominet, your are right CSV means "Comma Separated Value (s)".
The DV10 files are in CSV format since the data is separated by a comma.
In addition, access to the management of CSV files such as those present on the SD card is not a function provided for the user but from the begining dedicated to the internal management of the receiver AR DV1 or AR DV10.
This is the reason for which the CSV files are organized on 3 management lines whose data is in CSV format (separated by commas), plus a header line and an end line.

For the management of the memories, bank search and so, users had already been advised to use AR DATA EDITOR.
According to c0ne, you can retrieve the edition file and have it work locally on your computer.
Some guys have contacted me because it was a problem to get the scketch working fine when retrieved from the web site.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
DMR Color CODES and other Digital modes

When AOR released that particular firmware, it was later mentioned in their 'updated Command list', but sadly, as with a few of the Firmware upgrades those functions did not work consistently at that time. My 'undocumented' remark was to the effect that those problems were corrected later, but that, and the need for it, was not documented subsequently.

That is not unusual. AOR often improve things in Firmware, but do not include details of all of them in their release notes. No problem, just pleased they have continued to improve the AR-DV1.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Software

If you are only interested in editing/managing those Banks, then the new free software from AOR should do the job.

The downside is that you have to remove the SD Card from the DV1, and put it into a P.C. to make any changes/additions, then save them and put the SD Card back into the Radio. That also means you have no way of monitoring any changes in 'real time' of course, so any mistakes mean removing the Card and starting the process over again.

It is a pity AOR never included coding that allowed a User to fully access, and write to the Memory Card, whilst in was in situ. To do that commercial software will be required.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
More update news

Sorry, I know I have said this several times before, but whenever one thing is changed the entire Program has to be re-tested. 'Sod's Law' is always lurking in the background, and the slightest addition or alteration can have totally unsuspected results in what would appear to be unrelated functions.

During the recent testing, as in the past, I came up with some ideas leading to more new Program additions. These are now incorporated, however that meant another round of tests (sigh) as above.

So I estimate probably another 2 weeks before the Update is published. I will try hard to resist adding anything new I may think of this time at least, lol, so that should be a reliable estimate.

grosminet

Low cast DMR TX

80 $ low entry DMR TX like md380/390 have software where we can copy/paste, use CSV to manage memories, search ..

1100 $ ARDV10 has a very poor web interface and a 3 lines undocumented CSV format (lines in CSV file aren't as the same order as the scanner display

F5HPE

CSV Manager

... lines in CSV file aren't as the same order as the scanner display

That quite normal as CSV files on SD card have never been intended to be for a customer use.

Also this point had been already explain.

Once again, CSV files are only for DV1 or DV10 intern management.

FYI, I will publish soon a free application to convert CSV into XLS and vice and versa.

So please wait.

F5HPE

You can't write memory or search banks with that it will lock the radio solid requiring battery removal to reboot it.

As already explained to you. It is not a problem of my application. Till you can't sent me the bugg report file I can't help you to fix the trouble on your computer.

woodpecker

As already explained to you. It is not a problem of my application. Till you can't sent me the bugg report file I can't help you to fix the trouble on your computer.

Your application locks the radio if you try and write memory or search banks, the exe file is 40Mb, its ridiculous, you're bugg debugging nonsense doesn't work, perhaps you should have paid a programmer to write a proper application.