Ardv1/Ardv10-pc-computer-control-new-s-w

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
APRIL 2019 UPDATE - AVAILABLE SOON

I have to say, immodestly I know, I have surprised myself again, lol.

Below is a list of what the update contains, but the BIGGEST and BEST change is regarding a new super fast and simple method of importing frequency lists from external sources into 'Q', for almost instant use with the AR-DV1 via the inter-active 'Q'DB' list system.

It is now just a a matter of finding a list, using 'COPY' and then 'PASTING' that DIRECTLY into the 'Q' window, no intermediate steps required, ready for sorting and instant monitoring.

Nobody could guarantee that any list, from any source, you might find will be 'Q' compatible, but most are. They just need to adhere to the following 3 simple criteria, to be 'Q' Sorted:-
a. Any frequency line must contain a frequency with a '.' in it, e.g. 145.525
b. No other '.' must appear before the first frequency
c. The MAIN frequency required must be the first frequency to appear in the line

'Q' even works on the list below - just copy and paste directly into 'Q' - (look at how diverse the lines below are worded)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My 2M favourite is 145.5125 using FM
For 2M USB I use 144.3125
Occasionally 144.21900 is used on USB
145.41250 FM is used by Friends
The Local Taxi - 163.5375 FM - is good
Mary had a little lamb who listens to 433.5675 FM
Sometimes 0433.5125 is preferred by the Lamb
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

and within seconds produces this inter-active list: (see pic below:-
Just double click on a line to send the details immediately to the AR-DV1 for monitoring, and of course lots of other 'Q' functions are available, Filtering, Scanning, adding default Modes if needed, Map etc

1554640316153.png

v. (6.0007-012) - April 2019 - CHANGES LOG
1. CLOCK DISPLAY DURING BAND SCOPE OPERATION
During testing I had disabled updating the Program's clock display (which reflects the AR-DV1's clock) was turned off when the Band Scope was visible and forgot to re-instate it. - it now updates at the beginning of each 'sweep'.
2. ADDED CW TO BAND SCOPE OPERATION
'CW' Mode option added to Band Scope by Customer request.
3. 'Q' BAND SCOPE WINDOW
Mode changes are immediate and do not require the Scope to re-process its operation, so a User might have added frequencies to the 'Q' window which were in fact different Modes.
A line created during a 'Q' Band Scope operation always shows the Mode that was selected during the sweep, however clicking on the line did not change the Mode to the one shown - FIXED
4. 'Q' NEW EVEN SIMPLER IMPORTING OF FREQUENCIES FROM ANY SOURCE - see above

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
'Q' can handle much more complex lists, for example here is an extract from Ofcom:-

-----------------------------
Licence number Sector Class Licensee Frequencies Location(s)
View licence number 0301622 Business Radio Business Radio (Technically Assigned) The Torquay Golf Club Limited TX: 456.975 MHz
RX: 456.975 MHz SX 92200 66200
View licence number 0298246 Business Radio Business Radio (Technically Assigned) Brian Wills-Pope Multiple Frequencies
See Details Multiple Locations
See Details
View licence number 0884867 Business Radio Business Radio (Technically Assigned) Mr Roberts Rogers TX: 163.0375 MHz
RX: 158.5375 MHz SX 82000 57100
View licence number 1046988 Business Radio Business Radio (Technically Assigned) Storenet Radio Systems Limited TX: 453.25 MHz
RX: 459.75 MHz SX 92000 65800
View licence number 0128641 Business Radio Business Radio (Technically Assigned) Debenhams Retail Plc TX: 461.3375 MHz
RX: 461.3375 MHz SX 91800 63500
-----------------------------

In seconds 'Q' sorts through the list, and produces this:-

0158.53750 8200 57100 FM
0163.03750 MR ROBERTS ROGERS FM
0453.25000 STORENET RADIO SYSTEMS LIMITED FM
0456.97500 THE TORQUAY GOLF CLUB LIMITED FM
0459.75000 NO TAG FM
0461.33750 DEBENHAMS RETAIL PLC FM

1554662781605.png

Quite a difference from the jumbled details in the original file. Imagine how long it would have taken to manually sort through them and either enter them manually to the DV1's own memories, or into something like Excel.

The original Ofcom list contained hundreds of entries. 'Q would handle that in seconds.

The details are automatically saved as a simple text file, which can be re-imported at any time.

Double clicking on any line sends the frequency information to the AR-DV1 for immediate monitoring.

The 'Q-DB' frequencies can be manipulated in many ways. CTC/DCS information added, frequencies scanned, or filtered by keywords, PASS options, default Modes selected and more. The lines can include any Modes handled by the DV1, and use them to monitor. It does not matter if different Modes are inter-mingled.

'Q' also lets you clear / change / amend any line from within the window, and saves the whole file automatically as you do it.

OK, the above may look and sound impossible, lol. If you think so try the eSPYonARD Trial and see for yourself.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
PART 2

Ran out of time editing the above, here is the rest:-

'Q' auto-sorts information into frequency order.

'Q' will also remove duplicate entries in lists you may have found, automatically as it sorts them.

A few words about the Radio Reference Database, and only using that to try to discover frequencies. The RR Database is great, and a real achievement, however it is only as good as its entries for your particular area. In certain Cities, in certain Countries it can be very useful, for a lot of others the information is either very sparse, or non existent. No criticism intended, a world wide, fully comprehensive database is not really possible.

'Q' is entirely different. Whether you find frequency lists on the NET, other electronic sources, or type them yourself in Notepad, you can usually import them and have them available to your AR-DV1 to use with the minimum of effort, and very quickly. Just 'copy', 'paste' into the 'Q' window, and click SORT. No need to be a Spreadsheet expert.

One other great advantage is 'Q' (.txt) files can be named and stored wherever you wish. Because they take up such little space you can store thousands of them if you wish. Effectively thousands of 'Q Memories' for your DV1. The number of 'Q-Memory' files is only limited by the size of your hard disk.

Having thousands of 'Memories' available usually brings its own very real headaches. What are the named, where do I find them etc? Using 'Q', and applying just a little bit of logic / discipline, you can create sub-folders and files with the names and locations you want, making them so much easier to find, use and also store copies of (for backup purposes). Importing a 'Q' file takes a few seconds, after which you can do so much with it, usually with just a few mouse clicks.

The operation of 'Q' in such a simple interface as described is quite simply accurate and true. 'Q' raises the DV1 to another level. Anyone can find out www.espyonard.com

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
PART 2

Ran out of time editing the above, here is the rest:-

'Q' auto-sorts information into frequency order.

'Q' will also remove duplicate entries in lists you may have found, automatically as it sorts them.

A few words about the Radio Reference Database, and only using that to try to discover frequencies. The RR Database is great, and a real achievement, however it is only as good as its entries for your particular area. In certain Cities, in certain Countries it can be very useful, for a lot of others the information is either very sparse, or non existent. No criticism intended, a world wide, fully comprehensive database is not really possible.

'Q' is entirely different. Whether you find frequency lists on the NET, other electronic sources, or type them yourself in Notepad, you can usually import them and have them available to your AR-DV1 to use with the minimum of effort, and very quickly. Just 'copy', 'paste' into the 'Q' window, and click SORT. No need to be a Spreadsheet expert.

One other great advantage is 'Q' (.txt) files can be named and stored wherever you wish. Because they take up such little space you can store thousands of them if you wish. Effectively thousands of 'Q Memories' for your DV1. The number of 'Q-Memory' files is only limited by the size of your hard disk.

Having thousands of 'Memories' available usually brings its own very real headaches. What are the named, where do I find them etc? Using 'Q', and applying just a little bit of logic / discipline, you can create sub-folders and files with the names and locations you want, making them so much easier to find, use and also store copies of (for backup purposes). Importing a 'Q' file takes a few seconds, after which you can do so much with it, usually with just a few mouse clicks.

The operation of 'Q' in such a simple interface as described is quite simply accurate and true. 'Q' raises the DV1 to another level. Anyone can find out www.espyonard.com

Awesome

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
12th APRIL 2019 UPDATE - includes firmware 1903A additions

Just uploaded second update this month, which incorporates the new commands included in AOR's April firmware 1903A

1. COMMANDS TO CHANGE SCREEN ORIENTATION ON AR-DV1
Right click on YELLOW screen to bring up SETTINGS window. Click the 'SCREEN' button then make selection from list.

2. COMMANDS TO SELECT SLOT IN T-TC MODE
Right click on 'T-TC' button then make selection from list.

(See last Changes Log entry in Manual for details)

www.espyonard.com

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
v. (6.0007-015) - NEXT UPDATE NOTES

Just to keep eSPYonARD users abreast of what is in the pipeline, below is a list of the functions that have been added or improved in the next update, when published.

Item 1 carries on the somewhat intriguing aspects and many extra functions available to the Band Scope by combining it with 'Q'.

It is worth repeating that the subsequent extra functions available to anyone using a Band Scope are often much more important than than sweep speed or the pictorial display. The many and varied Band Scope functions offered by eSPYonARD are very extensive,

1. BAND SCOPE - SELECT 'CENTRE' FREQUENCY FROM A DISPLAYED 'Q' WINDOW

If the 'Q' window is visible using the Band Scope, one can now select a displayed 'Q' frequency and automatically make it the 'CENTRE' frequency of the Band Scope 'sweep' . You can use different 'Q-DB' files to this window by clicking the 'LOAD FILE' button.

Just click on the line ONCE, to select it (which will also auto-stop a sweep if in progress), then DOUBLE CLICK on the line to make it the CENTRE frequency.

AUTO SAVED FILES

The Band Scope 'Q' window includes options to SAVE, CLEAR ALL and CLEAR ITEM re. the file that is displayed.

To guard against accidentally losing an important file or part of it especially when electing to save, 'clear' a particular line, or an entire list, if one of the above options is selected, the Program automatically first RE-NAMES and SAVES a backup copy of the original file.

e.g. File named 'TEST-SORTED.txt' , will be auto-saved as either:-

a. TEST-SAVED-COPY-SORTED.txt
b. TEST-CLEARED-COPY-SORTED.txt or
c. TEST-CLEAREDitem-COPY-SORTED.txt

in the folder where the original file was stored, depending on the option selected., using its current filename. (TEST is just used as an example above)

If these COPY files are no longer required you can delete them manually.

2. 'Q' COMMANDS DURING 'Q-SCAN'

If during a Q-SCAN an active frequency was 'paused' it was sometimes difficult to get certain buttons to respond immediately, 'SCAN OFF', 'Q-DB', 'DB+' and 'FILTER'. - FIXED

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
v. (6.0007-015) - NEXT UPDATE NOTES

3. ADDED VOLUME AND SQUELCH SLIDERS TO BAND SCOPE

Until now, if you wanted to change the Volume or Squelch the Main window needed to be open. Now, if you wish, you can 'minimise' it, but still have access to those functions when you wish via the Scope's sliders.

As Users will know the Band Scope is integrated into the Program, so no need to close and re-load.

Attachments

• NEW BANDSCOPE.jpg
    NEW BANDSCOPE.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 29

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I have finished the long an laborious testing phase (thank goodness).

I will be releasing v. (6.0007-015) in the next week or two. The changes are described above, plus a few 'tweaks' to the Band Scope. It is now operating as fast as possible, as far as I can judge, only limited by the USB serial speed, the speed abilities of the AR-DV1 itself, and ensuring software accuracy and stability as it operates.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber

I will be releasing v. (6.0007-015) in the next week or two. The changes are described above, plus a few 'tweaks' to the Band Scope. It is now operating as fast as possible, as far as I can judge, only limited by the USB serial speed, the speed abilities of the AR-DV1 itself, and ensuring software accuracy and stability as it operates.

Whew! Just finished reading all 23 pages, like watching your child grow up into a successful adult. Bought a pre-owned DV1 today and can't wait for it to arrive and use this fantastic software.

MStep

Congratulations on the continued success of the program. I can say that "I knew him when". I'm finally getting things back together in my "radio life", picked up a small cheapie laptop, and will see what I can do with the older version of the program that I have. Marlbrook, you are "the man" when it comes to understanding the intricacies and nuances of the DV-1. Nobody does it better buddy.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
NEXT ESPYONARD UPDATE 6.0007.015

I hoped to post the next update in June, however further to my posts about 'AUTO FINDING NEARBY ACTIVE FREQUENCIES', I have been looking at automatic Audio Logging in 'Q' again, with a view to how that can be applied to Auto Q lists created by the Band Scope.

In doing so I have improved / amended the Audio Logging 'Q' function. This does require PRO TOOLS, so will only be of use in activated programs.

The result is a Band Scope 'Q' file can be opened in 'Q', and left to scan the frequencies it found. As one becomes active, the program saves a short sample of audio.

The results can be brought up in an inter-active list and just by clicking on an entry, the audio is played.

Particularly when recording to the DV1's SD Card this is much more comprehensive. The Radio just stores an entry as a numbered file, however the Program stores lots of information about the file, including a date stamp, 'S' reading, and most importantly, the frequency.

By combining the information stored by the Band Scope, with being able to scan and store audio samples, it will allow the creation of 'Q' lists which contain exactly what you want to monitor.

The next update already contained some interesting improvements and additions. I will hopefully be able to update the tested version in July.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
NEXT ESPYONARD UPDATE 6.0007.015

I hoped to post the next update in June, however further to my posts about 'AUTO FINDING NEARBY ACTIVE FREQUENCIES', I have been looking at automatic Audio Logging in 'Q' again, with a view to how that can be applied to Auto Q lists created by the Band Scope.

In doing so I have improved / amended the Audio Logging 'Q' function. This does require PRO TOOLS, so will only be of use in activated programs.

The result is a Band Scope 'Q' file can be opened in 'Q', and left to scan the frequencies it found. As one becomes active, the program saves a short sample of audio.

The results can be brought up in an inter-active list and just by clicking on an entry, the audio is played.

Particularly when recording to the DV1's SD Card this is much more comprehensive. The Radio just stores an entry as a numbered file, however the Program stores lots of information about the file, including a date stamp, 'S' reading, and most importantly, the frequency.

By combining the information stored by the Band Scope, with being able to scan and store audio samples, it will allow the creation of 'Q' lists which contain exactly what you want to monitor.

The next update already contained some interesting improvements and additions. I will hopefully be able to update the tested version in July.
Thanks for the update

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
v. 6.0007-15 uploaded to www.espyonard.com

When the Trial program is installed the 40 minute close down 'NAG' has been deactivated.

If you decide to obtain an Activation Code, it will 'unlock' the Trial. No further downloading is needed.

Please see Changes Log in Manual for full description of changes / additions.

The updated includes:-

1. BAND SCOPE - SELECT 'CENTRE' FREQUENCY FROM A DISPLAYED 'Q' WINDOW
Can now select a displayed 'Q' frequency and automatically make it the 'CENTRE' frequency of the Band Scope 'sweep' . You can use different 'Q-DB' files to this window by clicking the 'LOAD FILE' button.

2. 'Q' COMMANDS DURING 'Q-SCAN'
If during a Q-SCAN an active frequency was 'paused' it was sometimes difficult to get certain buttons to respond immediately, 'SCAN OFF', 'Q-DB', 'DB+' and 'FILTER'. - FIXED

3. 'Q' SET DELAY WINDOW
Size increased

4. VOLUME AND SQUELCH SLIDERS ADDED TO BAND SCOPE
Until now, if you wanted to change the Volume or Squelch the Main window needed to be open. Now, if you wish, you can 'minimise' it, but still have access to those functions when you wish via the Scope's sliders.

5. BAND SCOPE SQUELCH OPTIONS
Enhanced

6. AUDIO LOGGING with 'Q'
This allows you to automatically obtain short audio samples of frequencies that are active whilst scanning the frequencies in a 'Q' list., so you may decide if you wish to permanently include them for 'Q' monitoring.

7. WAV LIST
Issue when SD CARD ICON clicked to open AUDIO OPTIONS WINDOW - FIXED

8. ADDED 'RESCAN' BUTTON
Re. Item 7. above. Added 'RESCAN' button, to manually 'force' a re-download of WAV details to the inter-active WAV file list.

9. Q-DB SCAN SPEED
Right clicking the blue 'Q-DB' button brings up a 'Q' scan speed selection list, as usual. The 'FASTEST' selection now operates the scan more quickly. If the scan does not stop consistently when a frequency becomes 'active', try the other speed options in the list.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
AR-DV1 OCCASIONAL 'NERVOUS BREAKDOWN'

I decided to look more deeply into what appears to be a firmware generated anomaly that occurs quite infrequently when the Receiver is under software control.

Sometimes, when the User tries to change frequency very quickly, several times, the DV1 stops receiving signals correctly.

The Radio does not fully 'lock up', but the 'S' reading stays at '1', no matter what is tried, irrespective of changing other settings like 'Squelch', 'Audio' or Frequency, and fails to operate correctly.

Once in this state, returning the DV1 to manual control has no effect on this 'S1', no signal scenario, and the only cure is to pull the power for a second or two, then reconnect.

I am sure it is not caused by any software directly, other than giving the User the opportunity of sending frequency 'UP' and 'DOWN 'signals more rapidly than when doing it manually, and the firmware occasionally decides to object. This is confirmed by the Receiver staying in this state even when external control has been removed.

There is naturally the unlikely chance that this only happens on my AR-DV1, but the chances are it may happen on all.

As far as eSPYonARD is concerned, this is most likely to be triggered when the cursor is swept over many previously active frequency lines rapidly in the Band Scope, effectively sending frequency changes to the DV1 very quickly. It does not happen often even then.

I had previously discovered sending rapid 'UP' or 'DOWN' commands could cause this problem, whether by clicking once, or selecting 'auto' by right clicking and 'holding down' the respective buttons, again sporadically.

Over the years I found a few firmware bugs which I managed to apply fixes to, and I want to find a 'fix' for this one, detecting the issue automatically, and correcting it.

I would be interested to discover if anyone else has ever experienced this happening, with any software whilst controlling the DV1?

woodpecker

Its most likely the firmware can't cope with a buffer overflow, sounds very similiar to how the DV10 behaves except the DV10 locks solid and requires battery removal to reset it.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Woodpecker. I posted the above elsewhere and it seems to be an issue with other DV1's too. I had not considered a buffer overload, but that makes perfect sense.

I have written some code today for eSPYonARD that applies a 'fix' automatically if this happens. As luck would have it I discovered that the Radio still communicated and a reply to a certain command responded in a specific way, only when the DV1 is in this unresponsive state, and also found a command that clears the error without anything drastic like a reset or power cycle. The 'fix' works completely in the background, which is nice.

Any control software is likely to trigger the problem occasionally, particularly when attempting to change frequencies quickly, up or down, and without this 'fix' the only solution was to pull the power plug.

It was annoying, as being able to sweep the cursor over all the lines detected by the eSPYonARD Band Scope, sending each frequency immediately to the DV1 as it passed over a line, gives a great way of rapid tuning, especially I find it useful for monitoring and selecting Side Band HF signals., and for other Modes too. The 'cursor sweep' method could work OK for some time then the firmware glitch would kick in, which was frustrating.

I had realised it was not caused directly by software control, and the firmware was the culprit, but no matter, it is automatically fixed now.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
AR-DV1 OCCASIONAL 'NERVOUS BREAKDOWN'

I decided to look more deeply into what appears to be a firmware generated anomaly that occurs quite infrequently when the Receiver is under software control.

Sometimes, when the User tries to change frequency very quickly, several times, the DV1 stops receiving signals correctly.

'Fix' for firmware problem above incorporated into eSPYonARD update v.6.0007-16A, at Web Site

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
BAND SCOPE MEMORY
A customer emailed me a couple of days ago asking if I could get the Band Scope to remember more settings that were last used, and import them when eSPYonARD is started.

I am pleased to say I have managed to do that. (Short sentence, LOTS of work involved).

In the next update, in addition to the new 'FAST' Band Scope settings input window, there are these extra additions:-

The Band Scope now remembers and automatically loads the last selected settings. (Centre Frequency, Mode, Band Width, Sweep and 'S' setting). When FIRST called the program defaults to the FULL 'sweep'.

If 'lower' and 'upper' Band Spread frequencies have been entered, and the Scope is closed, then if re-opened during the session those details are recalled and applied.
------------------
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tested the above in the current BETA and I find them useful extra functions when using the Band Scope. I imagine others will find them useful too.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
BAND SCOPE SETUP - SETUP SPEED REDUCTION
Quite a big breakthrough. Tested and working. Will be available in next update