Are FDNY EMS Tac channels actually used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

Never heard any activity on the tac channels even at the scenes of mci's, are they ever actually used?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Never heard any activity on the tac channels even at the scenes of mci's, are they ever actually used?

From talking to a friend who is a FDNY EMT who works out of the BX, they are rarely used.

Danny37

It's tough to monitor them because they're dispatch frequencies with a different pl, I'm assuming it's also very low powered so you have to be close by.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
They are simplex and useless. Pretty much never used for anything. Problem is that Bronx north tac is not the simplex of Bronx north dispatch. Had they made the tac channels the simplex of dispatch then the als and bls could talk with each other.

Danny37

I listen to doitt but I really don't find it that intresting, does EMS have capabilities to talk to FD? I usually see them on standby at fire scenes but they just stay on their dispatch channel. Is there a Tac channel they use?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I listen to doitt but I really don't find it that intresting, does EMS have capabilities to talk to FD? I usually see them on standby at fire scenes but they just stay on their dispatch channel. Is there a Tac channel they use?

There is a Tac channel so FD and EMS can communicate its 487.4875 PL 85.4. If its actually used, that's another mystery

cackis

Premium Subscriber
There is a Tac channel so FD and EMS can communicate its 487.4875 PL 85.4. If its actually used, that's another mystery

I think I've seen it used maybe once or twice in say the last 10 yrs (however long ago it was that the original protocol came out). New protocol is for EMS units to contact us on our primary tactical channel, HT-1, upon arrival at EMS runs. This is used occasionally by us, primarily by the local Rescue Medic unit. Can't speak for it's use citywide. On fire scenes the ranking EMS officer will communicate directly on the HT-1 frequency with the FD IC as needed.

Danny37

I heard EMS coming over NYPD recently which was a pretty cool catch since I heard they aren't allowed to sign out radios anymore from the precinct. I used to hear them come over a lot like 10 years ago but now it's rare.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I heard EMS coming over NYPD recently which was a pretty cool catch since I heard they aren't allowed to sign out radios anymore from the precinct. I used to hear them come over a lot like 10 years ago but now it's rare.

Their portables have the PD CW freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.