are the frequencies in my area encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrz3

I did a search for my area and it says that the police and sheriff are all encrypted as of 9/16. I just ordered a Uniden HP436 with hopes of listening to police frequencies. Does this mean I will not be able to listen in?

I'm in Stephenson County Illinois under Freeport it says "Police communications (Simulcast on VHF) and Stephenson County Sheriff (as of May 2010) (all Encrypted as of 9/16)"

Am I reading this wrong?

n4yek

Welcome to Radio Reference, good to have you aboard.
I do not live in you area and am just offering an opinion on what I see.

There seems to be conflicting notes, http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=679
Yes you read the correctly on the Stephenson county / Freeport section stating full encryption as of 9/16

But on the Starcom21 system : STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
under Stephenson county, it only show Freeport Police Dispatch being encrypted with the other and Sheriff in the clear.

The database is only as accurate as supplied information from the users of Radio Reference so unless someone from that area actually knows if they are or not, it will be difficult to know.

Maybe you could ask the moderator to move your post to the Illinois thread, it will be more helpful. Just click on the 'exclamation point' icon in the upper right of your thread box and just ask for it to be moved. Cross-posting is frowned on and they will be happy to help you move it.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Translation: Send it back.Its all Encrypted in that county so the scanner will be worthless for PD monitoring.

myrz3

Welcome to Radio Reference, good to have you aboard.
I do not live in you area and am just offering an opinion on what I see.

There seems to be conflicting notes, Stephenson County, Illinois (IL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Yes you read the correctly on the Stephenson county / Freeport section stating full encryption as of 9/16

But on the Starcom21 system : STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
under Stephenson county, it only show Freeport Police Dispatch being encrypted with the other and Sheriff in the clear.

The database is only as accurate as supplied information from the users of Radio Reference so unless someone from that area actually knows if they are or not, it will be difficult to know.

Maybe you could ask the moderator to move your post to the Illinois thread, it will be more helpful. Just click on the 'exclamation point' icon in the upper right of your thread box and just ask for it to be moved. Cross-posting is frowned on and they will be happy to help you move it.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.