Are the Whistler/GRE scanners TOO sensitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
My experience with the 668 in and out of the car is simply when it works, it works great, when it doesn't it is horrible and frustrating. Regardless of your opinion of them, Uniden's are very consistent for the most part. I was going to go with a 1095 in my car, but the 668 performed so poorly I went with a HP2 (now my 536 with an old cellphone for a remote head).

I would like to seem more old vs new Whistler comparisons posted.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scosgt

I agree with this. Would like to see more comparisons.
When I say the PRO-668 does not work, I mean literally it misses transmissions on NYPD SOD and Highway, which are very strong 470 MHZ repeaters that can be heard throughout NYC and in much of Long Island and New Jersey. In many places you don't even need an antenna to hear them, so when the GRE based scanners don't break squelch on them, there is a problem.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Do you have the scanner set to scan or are you monitoring a single channel? What's the squelch setting?

SCPD

QRT
car

I have driven the New Jersey Turnpike from the GW Bridge all the way down the exit 6 (Philadelphia - PA Turnpike) with a GRE based scanner and heard almost nothing, all the while streaming NJSP loud and clear from HOME!

The HP-1 setup seems to receive NJSP even on Long Island. Just weird. Has to be related to the front end of the scanners

Next time try a rooftop car antenna,you maybe getting car computer generated noise thats over-riding your signals coming into the scanner.Yes they are very sensitive. Or you may have your scanList for NYC off or its not associated with a scanSET.(better check that) near the dash has a lot to do with it

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
My 668 is pretty well useless in my car, I can get some local stuff, but in general, it gets very quiet as soon as I get into the car and start it. I don't even bother anymore with it, I just take my PSR500 or PRO651 instead, they work very well. At home, the 668 works fine, some "robotic" audio, but it doesn't seem to be missing anything, as it works about as well as the other scanners do. It IS missing a lot though! I go to a friend of mine's house in Michigan that is out in the "sticks", and it comes alive. It's amazingly good. I can hear Toledo, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Ypsi, down to Bowling Green. Trains can be heard from Detroit to the Indiana border, to well East of Toledo. It never stops talking. He has a WS-1080 and is about to buy a TRX-1. It almost makes me want to move out to the sticks myself.

scosgt

Next time try a rooftop car antenna,you maybe getting car computer generated noise thats over-riding your signals coming into the scanner.Yes they are very sensitive. Or you may have your scanList for NYC off or its not associated with a scanSET.(better check that) near the dash has a lot to do with it

I am not trying to be a wiseguy here, but seriously dude. I have been monitoring Police since the 1960's with a tuneable radio, and I think my first scanner was a Robyn Hi-Low Xtal unit. I have more radios than anyone could use in a lifetime, so YES I have the radios programmed properly and YES of course I have tried a rooftop antenna.

The GRE based units are horrible in a car. The Home Patrol works very well.

Over and out.

scannersnstuff

I am not trying to be a wiseguy here, but seriously dude. I have been monitoring Police since the 1960's with a tuneable radio, and I think my first scanner was a Robyn Hi-Low Xtal unit. I have more radios than anyone could use in a lifetime, so YES I have the radios programmed properly and YES of course I have tried a rooftop antenna.

The GRE based units are horrible in a car. The Home Patrol works very well.

Over and out.

i have to agree. i took my psr-500 with me in the car a few time's. the overload is pretty bad.

i bought a used bc246xt for $50, with the intent of putting it in my car, and leaving it there. it does a good job. the volume is pretty decent. i usually end up turning it down. i run 2 set's of new eneloop rechargeable's with it. that radio, and my bcd396xt are pretty car friendly.

ps - i have a honda too.

Status
Not open for further replies.