Arizona laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
Can anyone help me with the laws in Arizona regarding the use of mobile radios/scanners and cellphones while driving?

Thanks

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Nothing about mobile scanners - bring as many as you'd like. However, cellphones will need to be handsfree while driving I do believe - they just recently passed that out here. Not sure about ham gear, but I don't think there's any restriction on mobile use of that.

-AZ

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
AZScanner said:
Nothing about mobile scanners - bring as many as you'd like. However, cellphones will need to be handsfree while driving I do believe - they just recently passed that out here. Not sure about ham gear, but I don't think there's any restriction on mobile use of that.

-AZ

What about the cellphone speaker?

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
AZScanner said:
Basically, just don't let DPS see you driving down the freeway while fiddling with your phone and you should be OK. :)

-AZ

Ok.

Too bad it's illegal to tint the windshield :p

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
KDX3CB said:
Actually using a cell phone while driving in AZ is perfectly legal. It went to vote in the most recent ballot, but did not pass. It IS illegal to send text messages while driving though.

Arizona is amongst 13 states that do NOT have bans on the use of cell phones while driving.

http://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/safety-laws.php

Oh, my bad I thought it passed. Thanks for the clarification!

-AZ

hulka

You are allowed to tint your windshield, BUT it has to be a very light tint. I forget the specs on it. It is one of those forgotten hidden laws that not everyone knows about.

kd7ckq

No tint on the Front Wind Shield except factory shading on across the top. The front side windows have to be light, and the rear and back windows can be limo dark. I can't remember the values off the top of head.

cratliff

Tint

You can have a strip of aftermarket tint going across the very top of a windshield. Front windows are to be 33% or lighter. All back windows, including rear can be as dark as you want.

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
From what I read it was like 33% of vissible light transmission on the front windows.

For comparison, look at my current country.
2460691238_e7284d9427_o.jpg

2459892083_5a21bfb8aa_o.jpg

Tint

DPS WILL NOT TOLERATE heavily tinted windshields. I was ticketed for simply having too dark a tint on my side fronts, and know many who have gotten tint tickets. Windshields are a big no no. I have talked to a few people who got nailed trying to do this.

You can do a strip at the top but only to the factory mark on the windshield.

It's a two edged sword. In Phoenix tinting is mandantory really (this is the valley of the sun after all), and the odd thing is Phoenix PD tints the heck out of their cruisers, at near limo levels. Of course they don't have to worry about the DPS ticketing them.

But at night, I can tell you with limo tint on one of my cars, it can be hard to see on dark residential streets in certain conditions, so it is a safety concern. I can see both sides of the issue.

All said, tinting the windows is the first thing I do when I buy a car, and I always go dark or super dark, for ultraviolet protection for the leather interior, and my families skin (we take a lot of road trips).

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm most likely getting a car with factory tinted windows (all but the front ones), I probably won't need to tint my side windows (Prescott, supposedly not as hot as PHX).

I have seen the Phoenix PD cars, they still don't get as close as some people here). I think AZ is one of the states that allows really dark tinting (at least according to my interpretation of the chart).

Status
Not open for further replies.