ARL2300 to control AR2300 and AR5001D via Android Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9JY

Premium Subscriber
It looks like AOR recently demonstrated control of their new AR2300 and AR5001D radios over the network with the ARL2300 add on module via an Android based Tablet. It looks like this was demonstrated just recently at the Tokyo Ham Fair in August.

AOR's Japan Site has a blurb about it in the what's new section

What's new ? | AOR,LTD. Authority On Radio Communications

Catch AOR Ltd. at the JARL HAM FAIR located at Tokyo Big Sight, on August 27-28, 2011.
Look forward to discover and try our new receivers AR2300/AR5001D, enjoy a live demonstration of the fabulous remote control capabilities with the ARL2300 LAN BOX, and the Android-Tablet based client ap! (Ap under development).

Here's a Youtube video showing the demo

TOKYO HAM FAIR 2011 AOR

Here's a blog (in Japanese) that mentions it.

AOR

Does anyone have any info on the Android App or the ability to control these with a phone or tablet? I don't think an Android App would replace sitting in front of the radio (or Desktop PC with SDR) for any serious searching or DX work. I do think it would come in handy for someone with a big house who wanted to monitor say one channel while they roamed around the house.

What do you guys think?

whitenoise

I have the AR2300 and the hardware is good but the firmware and the software is not. AOR should focus on fixing the radio firmware and base software before adding more things to the product line that don't work. That is my opinion.

W9JY

Premium Subscriber
I have the AR2300 and the hardware is good but the firmware and the software is not. AOR should focus on fixing the radio firmware and base software before adding more things to the product line that don't work. That is my opinion.

Hey thats good to know. It's nice to hear from an actual owner of one of these radios. I'm planning to pick up an AR5001D in the next 3 months. I was wondering how these were doing. Thats how a lot of new products are when they are first released. It sounds like they still have some bugs to work out.

whitenoise

Bret312

The 5001D looks to be a nice radio, I believe it is the same platform as the 2300 and have heard good things about it for the most part. Since you won't be forced to use their control software like the 2300 you should be good to go. I certainly hope they address the open issues with the 2300.... for example being able to scan more than 1 channel at a time... yeah, that's right, it doesn't scan at all. It's not like they haven't made some fixes but it's far from useable. I would stick with the 5001D which seems to have a good future as replacing the aging 5000.

Status
Not open for further replies.