• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Army buying GMRS radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am 99.99% sure the NTIA Red Book specifically prohibits federal agencies from using FRS and GMRS . The FCC rules for GMRS don't provide eligibility for federal agencies either.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like more of a lowband required radio then gmrs, 4 blocks with them blister pack radios at most

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's weird.
Bidding on 10 radios.
When we purchase at work, anything under $100K doesn't require competitive bidding since the costs of administering all that negates most cost savings.

You think that's weird, I spotted this requirement for servicing a Motorola Wave system.

'Zero instances of non‐response will not be tolerated.'

Only the military would pay you not to respond.

nd5y

I am 99.99% sure the NTIA Red Book specifically prohibits federal agencies from using FRS and GMRS . The FCC rules for GMRS don't provide eligibility for federal agencies either.

7.5.8 Federal Government Use of the Family Radio Service (FRS)

Federal Government entities are authorized to purchase and operate radios certified by the FCC in the Family Radio Service (FRS), pursuant to Part 95 Subpart B of the FCC Rules and Regulations (Title 47, Code of Federal Regulations). Federal users will be accorded the same privileges as non-federal users. Because FRS users must share each channel and no user is assured protection from interference caused by another authorized user, federal entities may not purchase and operate FRS radios for planned communications operations that safeguard human life or property.

Manual of Regulations and Procedures for Federal Radio Frequency Management (Redbook) | National Telecommunications and Information Administration

There is no mention of GMRS and I don't know if the above rule was written before or changed after the 2017 FRS/GMRS FCC rules changes.

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I didn't see any mention of "GXT1000VP4" nor was there any mention of what frequencies are required.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I didn't see any mention of "GXT1000VP4" nor was there any mention of what frequencies are required.

Part way down, click on the link Solicitation and Buy Attachments. There was no mention of frequencies, but they did specifically ask Quantity 10 each "two-way radio, range up to 36 miles; 22 channels; rugged, waterproof; battery re-chargeable" They did specifically show the model on this page:
Buy View

RFI-EMI-GUY

7.5.8 Federal Government Use of the Family Radio Service (FRS)

Federal Government entities are authorized to purchase and operate radios certified by the FCC in the Family Radio Service (FRS), pursuant to Part 95 Subpart B of the FCC Rules and Regulations (Title 47, Code of Federal Regulations). Federal users will be accorded the same privileges as non-federal users. Because FRS users must share each channel and no user is assured protection from interference caused by another authorized user, federal entities may not purchase and operate FRS radios for planned communications operations that safeguard human life or property.

Manual of Regulations and Procedures for Federal Radio Frequency Management (Redbook) | National Telecommunications and Information Administration

There is no mention of GMRS and I don't know if the above rule was written before or changed after the 2017 FRS/GMRS FCC rules changes.

Well I did say 99.99%! {;'^}

The NTIA must have figured that FRS being license by rule, they cannot control it. The current GMRS rules have no provision for eligibility for anyone except individuals and family. The only exception is for certain grandfathered corporations. Unless the DOD has a shell corporation holding such an old license, they cannot legally use GMRS radios.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Part way down, click on the link Solicitation and Buy Attachments. There was no mention of frequencies, but they did specifically ask Quantity 10 each "two-way radio, range up to 36 miles; 22 channels; rugged, waterproof; battery re-chargeable" They did specifically show the model on this page:
Buy View
Yeah, those are most definitely those silly, toy-looking FRS hand held radios. If they honestly expect to get "36 mile range" from them they are going to be very disappointed. Maybe 36 yards is more realistic!

Stephen

They may not be for talking. There are parts of the world were these are used to monitor targets, terrorist, and drug cartels and since they are smaller than a scanner it makes it easier to carry and conceal during operations.

RFI-EMI-GUY

They may not be for talking. There are parts of the world were these are used to monitor targets, terrorist, and drug cartels and since they are smaller than a scanner it makes it easier to carry and conceal during operations.
Hmm; they should be buying some PMR446 radios as well

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
If that were the case there are options much less expensive and a darn site smaller, such as the WLN KDC-1 for ~$159 for qty 10! Granted, they are "only" sixteen channels, but they are quickly and easily programmable and have around 35 hours battery life when just monitoring.
CDjGK.png

Status
Not open for further replies.