Arvada area - CB and/or Hams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardoon

Arvada area - CBers (deleted objectionable portion of title)

I'm wanting to make contact with Arvada, CO - or other local area - CBers (or those who can Rx/Tx on CB freqs). I only have a CB for TX myself. Being so close to I-70, I figured for sure there would be something interesting to listen to on the CB but I guess everyone just uses cell phones now. I figured CB would be a good frequency for networking in case of local emergencies but I enjoy monitoring local area fire/police frequencies (online/scanner) during wildfires, etc. Comes in handy.

Anybody out there?

** this was my very first post

Last edited:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
<nevermind>

I'm wanting to make contact with Arvada, CO - or other local area - CBers (or those who can Rx/Tx on CB freqs). I only have a CB for TX myself. Being so close to I-70, I figured for sure there would be something interesting to listen to on the CB but I guess everyone just uses cell phones now. I figured CB would be a good frequency for networking in case of local emergencies but I enjoy monitoring local area fire/police frequencies (online/scanner) during wildfires, etc. Comes in handy.

Anybody out there?

Last edited:

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Oh man we all know where this thread is going.

Today sad news of the passing of Jim Horne known by the Internet generation as the "Aw-Jeez" guy at the age of 91. So to celebrate his life and the obvious.....

Last edited:

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the Colorado boards, Cardoon.
Most if not all "communication" regarding incidents around here is done thru Mountain News Net. I used to be a member, and I recommend it if you are interested in finding out what's going on as it happens. Great bunch and a great system put together by Jim, who also hangs around these forums.

As far as the CB and/or Ham thing, 99% of Hams don't really look at CB very favorably. CBers, over the years, have tended to give hobby radio a bad name, and Hams don't like to be lumped into the same group as CB. We go to great lengths to separate ourselves from them... although many Hams started with CB. But they are different radio services and aren't interchangeable, as all Hams will attest.

cardoon

N0DOZ - -

Thank you for your reply. Yes... I've surmised that HAMs don't like CB users. Considering it's been since the 70's when I last used a CB, I have no idea what the actual transgressions have been in the interim, but I sense that they must have been pretty bad.

I've been using a scanner since 1999 or 2000 so I've listened to lots of HAM operators and understand just how seriously they take their avocation. I have no intention of "intruding" - I was merely wondering if anyone still uses CBs in this area or not. From what I've gathered, they're mostly used for traffic data and maybe weather data.

Years ago, I did attempt to sufficiently acquaint myself with Morse Code but understand that today it is not needed for a Tech license so I may consider that approach again. We'll see.

I'll go back into hiding until such time - Thanks, cardoon

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
How about inviting fellow CBers to send you PM so you can get the info you indirectly requested in the first post?

RadioReference is not exactly a CB hangout but folks are generally friendly - to a point.

CB isn't used as much as it was in the 70's. (And the content hasn't changed at all. Not even any new cuss words.)

Nor is 2m ham used as much as it was in the 70's and 80's. Cellphones changed that too.

(Still wondering why a completely CB content question had reference to ham in the title.)

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
A lot of it was more attitude than substance. I was never a CBer, so I only know the ham half of the story.
But really, that's immaterial. I was more interested in pointing you toward MNN as "the" local resource for info on events as they happen. Lot more accurate than any other sources, IMHO. Jim (Jimmnn here in the forums) would be glad to point you to further info on the group.
I waited until the no-code license was available before I did my Ham test back in the 90's. Glad I did it. You should go for it.
And again, welcome. People with an interest in what's going on here are certainly welcome!

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Okay guys, that's about enough. If you didn't like his question or the content therein then move on to the next thread. This is supposed to be an INCLUSIVE place where people can interact. There is no need to go off on a guy after he makes his very first post here, and kudos to n0doz for being the only civil one to respond.

The rest of you....geez. I think Phil's post characterizes the responses to the OP's question, not the thread itself. :roll:

dirtfinder

Welcome to the CO forum &amp; RR

Just like to say welcome to the Colorado Forum and to Radio Reference. We do have some very knowledgeable ppl here that can help you out in just about anything..we also have some, well you already know.

Again Welcome

Dustin

Thayne

Off I-70 and Ward Road there is a truck stop. I think its Travel Centers Of America?? They may be your best bet for communication in Arvada.

Yes, if you make a connection there you will probably get a gift that keeps on giving :p

K4XB

Morse and amateur licensing

Years ago, I did attempt to sufficiently acquaint myself with Morse Code but understand that today it is not needed for a Tech license so I may consider that approach again. We'll see.

I'll go back into hiding until such time - Thanks, cardoon

Now, no Amateur license category requires knowledge of Morse.

Scotty, K4XB

Status
Not open for further replies.