As an Amateur Extra, will getting the GMRS change my ham callsign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k5hh

I really like my callsign and don't want to screw it up. So, using the same FRN, will applying for and getting the GMRS license mess up my K5HH callsign in any way?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
No. The FCC issues separate licenses, and separate callsigns, for the Amateur Radio Service and the General Mobile Radio Service.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I really like my callsign and don't want to screw it up. So, using the same FRN, will applying for and getting the GMRS license mess up my K5HH callsign in any way?
A single FRN can span many different operator and station licenses. Each license has its own callsign, unrelated to any of the other licenses. You use the appropriate callsign when operating on ham or GMRS. The licenses are completely independent of each other.

ecps92

Exactly .

The FRN (Federal Registration Number) is only a Place Holder for the Licensee, to have ONE location to manage each of their licenses.

You can find under (example) one FRN, GMRS, Amateur, Part 90, Part 80, Part 22 etc licenses. If the applicant remembers the FRN and doesn't apply for another one
A single FRN can span many different operator and station licenses. Each license has its own callsign, unrelated to any of the other licenses. You use the appropriate callsign when operating on ham or GMRS. The licenses are completely independent of each other.

KD8DVR

Amateur radio and GMRS are two entirely different radio services. Neither has any bearing on the other.

Write your FRN on the back of your framed amateur station license for future use, as you aren't likely to remember it 10 years from now for renewal.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Write your FRN on the back of your framed amateur station license for future use, as you aren't likely to remember it 10 years from now for renewal.
Why?

Your FRN is printed on the front side of your official copy of a GMRS license. It is printed on both sides of the official copy of an amateur license. And it's on the first page of Part 90 station licenses, too.

n5ims

The FRN is also listed on the FCC license search results page (License Search). Just search on one of your call signs and you can bring it right up, quickly and easily (with minimal brain functionality needed!).

You can even search by FRN if you know that and want to check what other licenses you have (and may have forgotten about). When searching by FRN, be sure to enter all 10 digits, even though most often the first several are zeros. The search is character based, not number based so 0000123456 is totally different from 123456. If you copy and paste, make sure that you don't have any leading or trailing spaces (or other characters) since those will also cause the search to fail.

Last edited:

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I have an amateur , expired gmrs, and part 90 business license. Different call signs but same frn

Status
Not open for further replies.