• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Assistance with XTS 3000 CPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanMadigan

Good morning. I've followed about every guide I've seen on "ASTRO Saber & XTX 3000 CPS" but I'm still getting "Communication with radio failed" after about a second of pressing the read button for my XTS 3000 Model III.

It is on the proper com port

I tried it on windows 10 x64, w7 pro x86, w7 in xp compatibility mode, and Windows XP pro x86.

I tried it on a couple PCs and on an ESXI VM host using two USB adapters (one model works for other people for sure) and an actual serial port, on two different new cables i ordered.

I tried the default port settings and I've tried messing with those settings but no change.

I know the radio works, the guy I bought it from did default programming, but he charges for custom programming and I already have all the equipment. Also most guys don't program trunk zones for some reason.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there some sort of programming mode the radio needs to be in like the Minitor V's? Any FULL video on setting this up that might show com port settings or something?

Edit: In W10 and 7, i tried running as admin, in compatibility for 7 vista and xp, and in various combinations.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem a week ago. Basically my problem was my USB to serial adapter. I bought another one (oddly enough, it was cheaper than the other one) and it now works fine. Also, windows 10 and some versions of 7 won’t work with the radios. I personally run Windows XP x32 for all my programming software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Physical computer. That computer was bought by a family member in the early 2000’s, so it’s pretty old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Use a machine with XP if you can for programming. Use a real serial port if possible. If no real serial port is available you will have to experiment with USB to serial adapters until you find one that works or ask Will001 which one he used.

Also, there is a very good reason why sellers won't program trunked zones. Try it yourself sometime and you will see why.

Good luck with the radio.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
XTS cable

I have been using a KawaMall cable for my xts 3000 for at least 4 years without any trouble. It uses a serial port, not USB, and Win XP 32 bit is the best choice for the OS. I also have an EF Johnson 5100 and the KawaMall cable has been totally reliable.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
WIN 10 with a virtual XP will work, if you have a serial port on the MB.

Mounting USB on a XP VM is not recommended.

mpcpsrego1

Premium Subscriber
I run a Dell latitude with windows xp 32bit pro and all my cables are ribless on true serial port and I have never had any problems. I even use it to boot into true DOS and program mt2000 ht1000 and mtx9000 without any problems either. Years ago I bought the Dell off of eBay with no OS for like 100$ then threw xp on it and it still runs like a champ lol I may actually buy another one just in case

DylanMadigan

Figured it out (kinda), one of my old HPs worked using XP and 7, but the other PC didn't (both of which were clean windows installs). Either a serial port issue or it couldnt handle that specific port.

I did also try to pass the serial port through ESXI hypervisor to a VM running 7/XP/10 and that did not work.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Get yourself a Dell Latitude D830 or D820 or D630 laptop and dedicate as a programming laptop only. Run XP on it and install your CPS on it.

These models are the IDEAL programming laptop for supporting those radios. They are cheap these days, and highly reliable and quite rugged. Their shells are magnesium alloy, not plastic.

I have a small stockpile of these laptops. I hoard them. If one should develop a problem (rare but not impossible due to their age) then I just pop out the hard drive tray and put it in a spare computer and away it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.