• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro Saber fail message (photo) is my radio DOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcomm

Hi,

One day while trying to program my Astro Saber the cable fell off while the new codeplug file was being written to the radio (it was not screwed on tight). Now the radio displays FAIL 01/82 AND it when I go to reprogram it the following appears (see image).

My question is, can I fix this? I have owned this radio 5 years and it never had a problem before. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SA

Attachments

• IMAG3094-1.jpg
    IMAG3094-1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,130

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Well initially it appears that the radio was sent an inhibit command. Was the radio operating on a trunked system that you aren't authorized to be on? Even a radio that is set to RX only can still be inhibited. If this is the case, you'd need to talk to/beg the system administrator to re-enable your radio, or you'd need to send it to Motorola. There are other ways of fixing this, but they include the use of software which isn't intended for use by non-Motorola persons.

I suppose that the error could come up from a programming problem, if the inhibit bit gets set somehow, you'd see the error. Assuming you have the codeplug saved, try a reprogram. If that doesn't work, you'd need to go the Motorola route.

My apologies for humping the gun and assuming it is on a system you aren't supposed to be on - but this is all too common for people who try to use a Motorola radio in trunked mode.

Last edited:

emcomm

Hi,

No one inhibited it, it defaulted to that error--but I don't know why. I live in NYC, the radio is from Nevada. I have had this radio operating since 2007. I bought it on ebay in 2005. I have used it as a conventional UHF scanner ever since. I have programmed it 20 times over the years with no problems until this time.

It is an odd thing indeed.

emcomm

No, no MDC enabled and nothing at all trunked. I was sending 96 plain vanilla UHF 470.XXX freqs into the radio, as I always do. I had made one change, but when I hit SEND the cable fell off during the transfer and that error you see came up 10 seconds later. So frustrating you know.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Sometimes a bad write will result in the radio showing that it's been inhibited.

You can try dumping a known good codeplug back in or use special software to dump in a saved s-record.

Status
Not open for further replies.