• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro Spectra recap services?

tetto

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone around here still doing Spectra recaps? I know cmdrwill was the go-to guy but he hasn't been active since 2021.

bhamwildcat

I bought a NOS regular Spectra from feebay and I want to find someone to do this as well. I tried to power it on, and it was acting like it didn't get enough voltage. Decided it would be best to not try anything else until I was positive I wasn't destroying it inadvertently. If anyone knows anyone or anywhere I can get this done I would appreciate it.

tetto

Premium Subscriber
I had no leads so I decided to give it a go myself. While I've done plenty of hobby soldering here and there over the years, quickly realized I didn't have the skills for this (SMDs). I got 3 caps replaced (poorly) then decided to stop before I caused damage.

a417

I had no leads so I decided to give it a go myself. While I've done plenty of hobby soldering here and there over the years, quickly realized I didn't have the skills for this (SMDs). I got 3 caps replaced (poorly) then decided to stop before I caused damage.
Smart idea, don't want to kill your investment.

hot air or iron?

tetto

Premium Subscriber
hot air or iron?
Both. I'm comfortable with an iron but the bulk of the contact surface and pads are underneath the caps, so an iron only gets a fraction of the area heated with the cap in place.

I got a hot air rework gun specifically for this but after much practice and watching tutorials, that's when I realized I lack the skill.

arlo

Premium Subscriber
I use caps with leads and let them stand up a little. Radio works fine. Looks like of ugly, but with covers on all ok.
I have heated tweezers for my pace and can remove old caps easy.

a417

I use caps with leads and let them stand up a little. Radio works fine. Looks like of ugly, but with covers on all ok.
(y)

If the radio is going to be a shelf queen, this should be fine. This wouldn't be such a hot idea if you were mobile mounting it.

tetto

Premium Subscriber
(y)

If the radio is going to be a shelf queen, this should be fine. This wouldn't be such a hot idea if you were mobile mounting it.
OMG I'm an idiot. I hadn't even considered a different style capacitor.

What caps would you guys recommended if it it going to be mobile mounted? In a vehicle that goes off road in mountainous terrain for fire fighting - not extremely rough but up there. I know you can put some hot glue in to support it too. Not sure how warm these caps get, though.

a417

OMG I'm an idiot. I hadn't even considered a different style capacitor.

What caps would you guys recommended if it it going to be mobile mounted? In a vehicle that goes off road in mountainous terrain for fire fighting - not extremely rough but up there. I know you can put some hot glue in to support it too. Not sure how warm these caps get, though.
Welp...I'd recommend like-for-like in that situation, or at least with modern equivalents from a reputable manufacturer.

Now that you've explained your work scope for this radio, I'd advise against home-jobbing it due to it being used in a life-safety situation. We are talking about radios that easily qualify for antique license plates in many states. I'd replace them with something more modern, rather than try to learn on something that will likely fail when you need it the most.

'hic sunt dracones'

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Is anyone around here still doing Spectra recaps? I know cmdrwill was the go-to guy but he hasn't been active since 2021.
Uncle Will as we affectionally called him, has left this earth. He was a fun guy and a whiz with those Spectras.

N4KVE

Uncle Will as we affectionally called him, has left this earth. He was a fun guy and a whiz with those Spectras.
Didn’t know. He recapped a few for me, and he did the preamp mod on one of them. Later on, he fixed a RIB for me. He sure knew his stuff. Still have his phone #, & E-Mail addy in my phone. Echocomms@*****.com. RIP Will.

arlo

Premium Subscriber
Another way to replace the capacitors. Use micro flush cutters and nibble and dissect the capacitor bodies leaving the leads. Use soldering pencil to remove the the exposed leads. Use Q-tips and flux cleaner to remove the capacitor leakage. Use radial lead new capacitors, clip the legs short as possible and solder to the pads. Get polarity correct.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Could always check the yellow pages for a stereo VCR or TV repair shop locally...I am sure they would be dying to solder things, and you might help them make rent or avoid bankrupcy for another week.

Paul

a417

I saw that post by Mary in the moto groups.io couple of days ago, quite sad for all involved.