• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anytone AT-5888 Mini Review

N9JIG

Sheriff
On the advise of a friend I bought an Anytone AT-5888 to use for 2M/440/GMRS here in the shack. I expected a virtual clone of my DR-638 and to a point it is but there are some distinct differences.

For the most part I like it but there are some quirks:

• The display is a lot smaller than I anticipated. In the car this could be an issue but at home it should be alright.
  • The RJ45 mic jack on the side of the head is fine except that it forced me to mount the radio sticking out of the console much further than I would have liked.
  • Apparently there is some programming error that I made that keeps the radio receiving in CSQ mode even though the channel is programmed for PL or DPL decode. Gotta figure that out.
  • The included software is OK but there is a serious bug in that it crashes when trying to enter a frequency out of band. It displays an error message then quits the programming, so be sure to save early and often!
  • The radio comes with a programming cable but it does not work in Windows 11. I had to dig out my old Surface laptop with Windows 10 to get it to work.
  • Navigating in the software is a pain. One must use the mouse to move from field to field, the tab and arrow keys don't allow local movement.
  • If you want to set a channel to RX only you need to open a channel sub-menu and select it. Total PITA for 100 rail channels I programmed in the radio!
  • As far as I know there is no way to set a memory frequency to the VFO.
While it has its warts there are several things I do like:
  • It is extremely sensitive, especially on UHF. I am getting a GMRS repeater from the other side of the mountain at almost full scale with excellent readability that doesn't even tickle the squelch on the scanners or R8600.
  • Once programmed it seems to work very well, the buttons and knob seem to be pretty intuitive.
  • The display, while small, is very readable and the color choices are a nice touch.
  • The TX audio is great according to those I have talked to.
  • There is a USB-A port on the left side of the head that one can use for charging a cell phone or other device.
  • Switching between the A and B bands is easy with the hand mic.
  • The two sides of the radio each have their own controls on the head, it is basically 2 radios in one case that share a mic.
  • You can use a standard Ethernet cable for the removable control head.
  • You can also use a standard Ethernet cable to extend the mic cable.
  • When you turn the volume to 0 the radio does not click or make any noise when the squelch is broken like so many other radios do.
I will likely get the RT Systems software since it is supposed to be Windows 11 compatible. I am going to ask if it works on ARM as well.

All in all this is a worthy successor to my DR-638.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
  • Apparently there is some programming error that I made that keeps the radio receiving in CSQ mode even though the channel is programmed for PL or DPL decode. Gotta figure that out.
Is there a column (way to the left usually) for squelch mode? Default is "Carrier" so receive tones don't do anything unless you change it to CTCSS/DCS.

I will likely get the RT Systems software since it is supposed to be Windows 11 compatible. I am going to ask if it works on ARM as well.

You beat me to it. I read the two bullets about the software and thought, "I bet RT Systems would work better". :)

I just got a little laptop to use for programming radios and scanners that came with Windows 11. I haven't tried all my RT Systems cables / software but the ones I have tried work fine. (I don't think I have the cable you'll need for this radio so can't test it.)

Listener1440

Premium Subscriber
Rich N9JIG

Good morning, I was looking at the Anytone AT-5888. Is it a good rig to use for 10 meter? I see it has side band. I was told to go for am HF rig but I am on a tight budget and wondering (in your opinion) if it would do the job while 10 meter is booming.
Thanks for our answer.

Mike KQW4CKO

BBI

10 years ago, CHiRP supported the 5888UV. That was very nice and free. A year later, the latest CHiRP would no longer work on that radio.

I don't know whether running a super-old version of CHiRP on this radio is acceptable or even possible. I just wanted to let people know that the 5888UV was supported by CHiRP at one time.

USRobotics

I just noticed that on their website that the 5888 is supported (I assume that it meant the 5888UV dual band model) and they just added support for the 5888III, (I assume it meant the 5888UV-III tri band model, which I own) in Jan 2023.

You can submit a bug ticket on their website if your model has a problem w/ the latest version.

I haven't tested mine w/ the latest CHIRP but I will when I get some time.